Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Astros sign Pudge....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Astros sign Pudge....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3985628

Catcher Ivan Rodriguez has agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract with the Houston Astros, a source told ESPN's Steve Phillips on Monday.

Rodriguez

Rodriguez can make an additional $1.5 million in performance bonuses.
    At the World Baseball Classic, Rodriguez, a 14-time major league All-Star, is hitting .600 (9-for-15) in four games for Puerto Rico.
    Rodriguez hit .276 with seven homers and 35 RBIs in 115 games with the Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees last year. He is the only player in baseball history with at least 13 Gold Gloves and a career .300 average or better.
    He has three more Gold Gloves, earning one as recently as 2007, than Hall of Famer Johnny Bench and almost double the total of Bob Boone, who is third on the list. Among position players, only Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson has more Gold Glove awards.
    Rodriguez has caught 2,173 games, trailing only Carlton Fisk (2,226) and Boone (2,225) in terms of longevity behind the plate.
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Probably a good signing for the Astros as they really didn't have anyone of quality after Ausmus left. JR Towels is a poor backup and certainly not a starter. That kid Jason Castro they signed last year looks to be the real deal, but he's a few years away. So all in all, a decent signing. But they'll still finish either 5th or dead last. Hitting was NOT the Astros problem, pitching & defense was....this helps neither.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros sign Pudge....

They have some offense that's for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    They have some offense that's for sure...
    I'd be shocked if he can ops over .700 this year.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I'd be shocked if he can ops over .700 this year.
    I'm certain he'll be an offensive improvement over Brad Ausmus...

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    I'm certain he'll be an offensive improvement over Brad Ausmus...
    Ausmus OPS'ed .234 vs. the Reds in 20 ab's last year. He will be missed.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Ausmus OPS'ed .234 vs. the Reds in 20 ab's last year. He will be missed.
    Ausmus WILL be missed by the 'stros. His defense and his intelligence in handling the pitchers is what he was there for, not his hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ausmus WILL be missed by the 'stros. His defense and his intelligence in handling the pitchers is what he was there for, not his hitting.
    I agree.. That's why I said offensive improvement. Speaking of catchers, Ramon Hernandez just hit a LONG HR in the WBC... I really do think he's going to have a solid offensive year, maybe he'll improve as the year goes on with his defense...

I think Pudge will send a few fly balls into those Crawford Box seats down the LF line.

Turn Off Ads?