Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Resume Professionals

Resume Professionals

So, I know we have probably had several threads in regards to job hunting and resume writing but I have a delema and am seeking some help.

Are there any resume professionals out there, that could assist me?

I am having issues putting together a quality resume for a couple of reasons:

1) Since 2005 I have had an on again off again work history, due to a variety of reasons - mostly related to family medical issues, deaths in the family, etc.

Which leads me into my problem number 2..

2) Since that time, I have had 3 jobs, but 2 of them were pretty much the same exact job, just for competing companies. Is it redundant to have both of those jobs listed in my work history, where the listed experience is almost identical?

I am hoping I can reach out to a pro on this site and see if they can offer any suggestions for assistance, hoping I can send a copy to a pro for a quick "pro-bono" glance and offer any critisisms and assistance.

Thanks in advance.
    Nate
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Resume Professionals

I would list both jobs, even though they are similar in nature. It shows another company was willing to hire you, which is good, especially if it's competition in your industry.

I'm not a resume pro though, but I've had to review my fair share for hiring people. A lot of people just list bullet points like a job description, that is ok to some extent, but also include accomplishments. Teams you were on, things you were able to get done, that type of thing. Be prepared to discuss your employement gaps, you will get asked about it.

You can ask Kitty to, she does resumes.

Absolutely list both jobs. There's no real good reason not to. Besides, it sounds like you're going to have a problem with gaps as it is, taking out one of those jobs and the time you were there will give you another gap and make it that much worse.

Thanks for the advice.. I sincerely appreciate it.

The gaps in my work history are explainable.

I have 7 years under one employer, from there its been 2 other jobs(the similar jobs) and now my current.

All gaps involve death of family members and medical issues - I.e. Cancer.

I'm really not worried about the gaps so much I guess.. But how to properly frame them in my resume.

I guess my big challenge is how to get all my work history into the resume.. Its 4 jobs. Is that too many? How far back should I go?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I would go back as many years as the job you're applying for requires, in terms of experience, plus one job. If someone is only spending 10 seconds on your resume, you want to make sure what they're reading is relevant to the positon you're applying for.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

I agree, list them both. The gaps are not a huge deal in today's market, but you don't do yourself any favors by not listing something. Your total work experience is the sum total of all your jobs, even if two are exactly the same.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'd put both jobs. It shows experience. And don't hide gaps in your work record, but don't advertise them either.

Don't forget to supply a cover letter that explains how your resume fits into the job being applied for. And you can tailor your resume too. It doesn't always have to have all the same stuff for each job.

You want them to read the cover letter and resume and have it all click into place as to why you are the perfect match for *that* job. It takes extra time, but it also helps with when you talk to them, you are already attuned to why you are good for them.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?