Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Possible Job Opp

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Possible Job Opp

I know times are hard and I've seen some members looking for job openings.
    Don't know if this qualifies as a job...but maybe someone could find it interesting.

FINRA, which is a regulator of the securities industry (don't laugh) is being overwhelmed by arbitration requests. So far the rate is running almost three times last year. So they need arbitrators in many locations (including Cin OH).

To be an arbitrator in an investor case, you do NOT have to be an industry professional. Better if not. As stated:

FINRA Dispute Resolution relies on a roster of neutral, qualified arbitrators to help maintain its fair, impartial, and efficient system of dispute resolution. FINRA arbitrators are carefully selected from a broad cross-section of people, diverse in culture, profession, and background.

Disputes involving an investor require that a majority of the arbitrators be from outside the securities industry. Some intra-industry disputes require that all the arbitrators be from within the securities industry. Our goal is to recruit arbitrators from different backgrounds, such as educators, accountants, lawyers, business and securities professionals, and others. If you have at least five years of full-time, paid business or professional experience, you may qualify to serve on our roster.
    There is some training involved and an application and training fee. ($125 + $80), but you can make that back with your first arbitration case.

Here's the link to the FINRA website page on arbitrator recruitment.

http://www.finra.org/ArbitrationMedi...hure/index.htm

I'm not in any way involved with FINRA, but I came across this and thought it might be of interest. Of course, I thought first of my fellow Redszoners.

The pay is

Honoraria. Arbitrators are not employees of FINRA, but receive an honorarium at the rate of $200 per single-session hearing; $400 per double session. (A single session lasts up to four hours and a double-session hearing lasts for more than four hours, with hearings averaging approximately two-and-a-half days.) Compensation for service on cases decided without an in-person hearing is $125 per case.
    It seems to be sporadic work, but the pay looks good.

So...there it is.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Possible Job Opp

Followup. This link shows the need for arbitrators per location:

http://www.finra.org/ArbitrationMedi...tion/index.htm
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Thanks for posting this Oneupper. I forwarded it on to my dad who is retired but looking for a little side work.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Thanks for the information, Oneupper. I'm going to look into it because it definitely sounds like some cool work to supplement my budding law practice.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Thanks, oneupper! Norfolk, VA is one of the hot spots so I'm going to check into this.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?