Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Artists You Simply Cannot Stand

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Artists You Simply Cannot Stand

Oh gosh, how could I forget this one: John Mayer.

It's like Dave Matthews-lite, without the talent. I think that the lyric "Your body is a wonderland" might be the worst thing I've ever heard. Terrible.

He reminds me of that guy in high school who couldn't get a date until he learned how to play the guitar. Oh look at me, I'm brooding, I'm sensitive, I play a musical instrument. Here, let me move my Star Wars dolls so you can sit on my bed. Let me write some syrupy crap so you will be seduced by me.

And Prince. You can call him a genius, great artist, and we can debate that until the cows come home. I'd say he is one of the most overrated artists out there.

But one thing we can agree on is this: If Prince went to your high school, he would have been severely beaten every day by the third period shop class.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

And Prince. You can call him a genius, great artist, and we can debate that until the cows come home. I'd say he is one of the most overrated artists out there.
    I forgive you for being wrong about this.

I think Prince wrote and recorded some of the most brilliant pop music in history.

And I don't care if he is a midget who dresses like an 8 year-old girl.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

John Mayer's pop stuff is crap but I have come to respect his guitar playing and riffs...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I think Prince wrote and recorded some of the most brilliant pop music in history.
    I think Prince had one song that could be called brilliant: When Doves Cry.

It's all opinion, but I don't see how his music is anymore "brilliant" than Matchbox Twenty or Journey. He has also written loads of filler/crap that is mind numbingly awful.

Like I said, we can debate this for a decade, but you can't deny the shop class assertion.

Like I said, we can debate this for a decade, but you can't deny the shop class assertion.
    Yeah, his mom probably had to bleach a lot of blood stains out of his ruffled shirts.

But comparing him to middle-of-the-road, formulaic rock bands like Journey and Matchbox 20 is a bit disingenuous.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I forgive you for being wrong about this.

And I don't care if he is a midget who dresses like an 8 year-old girl.
    He can play some basketball though.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

toby keith, nickelback, kid rock, limp bizkit, hinder, mudvayne, ac/dc, rush, guns n roses, van halen, etc. give me time, i'm at work. i'll add to this list.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

I think Prince had one song that could be called brilliant: When Doves Cry.
    Purple Rain says Hi.

But comparing him to middle-of-the-road, formulaic rock bands like Journey and Matchbox 20 is a bit disingenuous.
    And you can prove that....how?

Purple Rain says Hi.
    It's all opinion, and as I said, in my opinion, it's overrated.

But if you think it's brilliant, then it's brilliant to you.

We aren't comparing Len Matuszak to David Ortiz here.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Ahhhhhh... stop it. They're gang-raping my ears.
    But isn't it amazing??! Everyone who mentioned Nickelback needs to hear it!

Oh gosh, how could I forget this one: John Mayer.

It's like Dave Matthews-lite, without the talent. I think that the lyric "Your body is a wonderland" might be the worst thing I've ever heard. Terrible.

He reminds me of that guy in high school who couldn't get a date until he learned how to play the guitar. Oh look at me, I'm brooding, I'm sensitive, I play a musical instrument. Here, let me move my Star Wars dolls so you can sit on my bed. Let me write some syrupy crap so you will be seduced by me.

But one thing we can agree on is this: If Prince went to your high school, he would have been severely beaten every day by the third period shop class.
    I'm not a fan of Mayer, but he's an extremely talented musician, so he's at least got that going for him. Same with Prince, although I actually like a lot of his work. His funk is quite good. His pop? Eh, not so much. But I'm biased against pop because I don't like it in general.

n
    We aren't comparing Len Matuszak to David Ortiz here.
    Steve Perry and Prince?

Yeah I'd say more Billy Rogell and Joltin Joe DiMaggio.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I can't say there is anyone I can't stand.

There are songs/artists/genres that I prefer, some that I've grown tired of, some that I've never gotten tired of, some I used to like but don't now, some I didn't used to like but do now, some that I tune out, some I say "what is that?", but nothing that gets a real visceral I-hate-this rise out of me. I get something out of every song I hear. Some a lot, some not much at all.
    You see, this is the voice of age and "mellowing" talking.

It's like with women. The older you get, the better they ALL look and if they ask..."would you?", you say "yeah...why not?"(if I had the strength).

I'm like Roy. I like a lot the stuff people are hating here, like Offspring, and AC/DC and even Coldplay, Nickelback, Fall Out Boy, Backstreet Boys and even S Club 7 (at times).

But GAC is right about Little River Band. Help was never on the way for them.

I used to hate the 1910 Fruitgum Company, but now it just reminds me of older, sillier days.

Oh...but rap sucks. It really does.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

For me, it's performance artists.

Don't get it.

I never really got Mort Subotnick either. Although, I don't really get squeaky bonker stuff. I suppose Ligeti was an early squeaky bonker but I dig Ligeti.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?