Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Artists You Simply Cannot Stand

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Artists You Simply Cannot Stand

Any metal and rap.

Any pop singer who has to over embellish every note because the voice just isn't good enough to sing a straight note
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

oops
    Last edited by OldRightHander; 03-19-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: double post
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Seether's remake of Careless Whisper is awesome.
    Great call. Their remake of that song is awesome. It's one of the best remakes I've ever heard. Even if you didn't like Seether you would like this song. It's that good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Great call. Their remake of that song is awesome. It's one of the best remakes I've ever heard. Even if you didn't like Seether you would like this song. It's that good.
    The wham song? cant say as ive heard hinders version but would be curious too

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    The wham song? cant say as ive heard hinders version but would be curious too
    Yep, but it's Seether...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGNbq9Y7Odw

Hair metal from the eighties: No Talent Required. That's what really killed rock n' roll, not Nirvana, as is often hypothesized.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

John Mellencamp...I don't mind his music but as a person I simply cannot stand him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It's very interesting to hear what music people think is good. I guess I often don't listen to music for it's "message" which apparently many here do. I just get in a mood and and wanna hear that kind of music. But anything that is strong shoving it's message down your throat I can't stand and don't understand how anyone could. Especially political messages. I listen to music for a good time mostly and love most of what has been listed here.

However a few exceptions... Madonna, Whinehouse, Fiona Apple, Courtney Love all are repulsive people and artists too me although the young Madonna (like a virgin version) I did like at one time. Smashing Pumpkins & Korn I really don't care for. I used to not care for U2 or INXS but with age I guess I do appreciate them a little more somehow, but just for their actual sound not the "message". Oh yeah I am a big rap fan but cannot stand Lil Wayne, he sounds mentally challenged.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-20-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Hair metal from the eighties: No Talent Required. That's what really killed rock n' roll, not Nirvana, as is often hypothesized.
    How dare you sir!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Anybody who thinks Fiona Apple is just an angry dude-hating girl has not heard enough of her music. There is quite a lot of depth and variety to her songs, not to mention great musicality and production. And this is coming from somebody who tends toward an inexplicable hatred of most female artists.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It's very interesting to hear what music people think is good. I guess I often don't listen to music for it's "message" which apparently many here do. I just get in a mood and and wanna hear that kind of music. But anything that is strong shoving it's message down your throat I can't stand and don't understand how anyone could. Especially political messages. I listen to music for a good time mostly and love most of what has been listed here.
    You don't listen to music for its message but then you hate bands who have a message?

I love Rage Against the Machine but I'm not a communist...

Rockers who i knew in the 80's.....had an dislike for Prince....based on the fact...that he was black, so therefore he could not be a rocker (HOW is that for irony)

While i love hard rock...classic rock... there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to some of these followers. Black guys don't rock....and if there is any funk involved (Like Stevie Wonder's stuff in the mid 70's) then it sucks.

Forget that the groove Bonham and JPJ used was based not only on the blues but a lot of stuff they borrowed from 70's funk.

There was one station out here in LA who would rather play Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and then call it classic rock....while being aghast that Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" actually went to Number 1 over "Born in the USA"....I mean really? How ignorant can you be?

NOW i understand why Prince can be disliked..... His antics...ego...but his musical talent is hard to deny. If you wanted him to make a good hard rock album for you...he could do it better than most people out there.
    But hey....to my former metal friends of the 80's (I was a punker myself)....Quiet Riot...Posion...Ratt....."They blow the doors off anything that little purple freak can do."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

NOW i understand why Prince can be disliked..... His antics...ego...but his musical talent is hard to deny. If you wanted him to make a good hard rock album for you...he could do it better than most people out there.
    My problem with him isn't his talent as a musician, it's as a songwriter.

The lyrics to "Little Red Corvette" sound like something a high school guy from New Richmond would have written in the late 70s. That song could have taken place in the backseat of one of John Coyne's junkers.

I can see where people like the music- I was a huge fan at one point- but all this talk about genius over a song like "Purple Rain" or "Let's Go Crazy" or "1999," and you start to think that hey, maybe even John Mayer is a genius. Maybe I'm one, too.

Again, "When Doves Cry" is an incredible, incredible song, but the rest of the catalog is just pretty decent pop/R&B.

If Prince is a genius, so are The Goo Goo Dolls.

The comment about Mellencamp is spot on. I could probably sit down with him and agree on a good portion of what he stands for, but when you sing, put a pipe in it. I always feel sorry for people who buy tickets to his shows and have to sit there and listen to anything other than music.

I can agree that his lyrics can be lacking in depth....he is like an erotic novelist putting his words to music.

I can't stand Poison. Sure...it's an obvious one....but the fact this band actually still get's spoken about...I mean they are an English Menudo...just not even that good looking.

Motley Crue is overrated to me and represented most of what i hated about the whole LA metal scene in the 80's.

When I was 13 or so I took a 2 1/2 hour trip where my mom played the same Anne Murray tape over and over the whole time. To this day I cannot here a single note of hers without cringing. It's fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Turn Off Ads?