Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things You'd Like To Do (or Achieve) Before You Leave....

Things You'd Like To Do (or Achieve) Before You Leave....

this good earth.

We were having this discussion at work last night while sitting around.

What are some things you haven't done or achieved, that are realistic in nature, obtainable, that you'd like to achieve before your time is up on this rock. There may be multiple reasons (or excuses) as to why you haven't been able to accomplish them - got married, raised a family, never had the time or money, whatever. But it is a goal or "dream". It doesn't have to be something grandiose, but simply something you'd like to do.

My wife and are reaching our mid-50s and working for retirement within the decade. I have no regrets - life is what you make of it. And my objectives are pretty simple. Always have been. I'm a simple man. When I was younger, I had the opportunity to travel. I've been up and down the entire east coast from Maine to Florida. I lived overseas for two years in Spain. And I've seen the Midwest. But the farthest west I've ever been is Omaha, Nebraska. I want to travel with my wife out west. I want to see landmarks like the Grand Canyon and so many other great places that I've only been able to read about, or see on some documentary on TV. I want to travel through all the western and southwestern states, and take it all in, in my RV. Take my time and enjoy it all.

I had a buddy (coworker) who retired just over a year ago (he was 62), and he and his wife are doing just that. He sold both his homes, and most of his holdings, bought an RV several years ago (nice one too), and all they do is travel. They move all around the country staying in one local for maybe several months, and then move on to wherever they desire.

I want to travel and see this country.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Things You'd Like To Do (or Achieve) Before You Leave....

Gee...and to think it took me until 2007 to see Cincinnati.

Travel, GAC. It's fun. The West is awesome, I've only seen a little of it, but wish to see more.

RVing...on the other hand, is not something I'd really like to do. Maybe that's just me.
    I don't know if the adventure factor outweighs the "living in box with wheels" thing.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'd like to play in the Masters. Small chance, but you never know. I think I'm going to go next year. I've never been.

I've been to 42 of the 50 states. I look forward to going to Maine, Vermont, N.H., Wyoming, N.D., Idaho, Montana, and Alaska.

I want to go fly-fishing in Montana.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

See the West. You won't regret it. You could spend years checking it out and never get enough.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Each and every single NFL cheerleader.

Have sex.... again. Oh wait, that I haven't done before? Well I like Dom Heffners idea or maybe the west. Can I combine them?

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I'd like to see a Duke basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium
    Would also like to go deep sea fishing but not with a large group of people
    I want to be around long enough to see my children grow up
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    ...Would also like to go deep sea fishing but not with a large group of people...
    I like that one.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I have 4 states left to see, but I second the recommendation on the west. I never get enough of going out there. I have a few other things as well. See a game in all MLB stadiums, see an EPL match in England, visit my in laws in Kenya, and do a whole lot more traveling without having to worry about delivery or pick up times.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I've travelled quite a bit, but mostly for work. I'd like to do some travelling with my wife, probalby to Europe, but Australia, Africa, South America, and China would be on my list too.

I'd like to learn fly fishing and would like to go deep sea fishing as well.

I'd like to climb a real mountain...you know, one with snow on top instead of grass and trees. Nothing spectacular, just one you can hike to for starters.

I'd like to spend just a little more time with my kids.

I'd like to see a volcano up close.

I'm about to move to Portland, OR (from DC) and quit travelling for work, so I hope to accomplish some of these things in the near future. We will be driving in the family van to get there and my 8-year old daughter is helping me plan out all the stops along the way. Cincinnati is the first overnight stop!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

The first things that come to mind...

• Visit Dealey Plaza in Dallas
    • Watch the sun set while at a game at Dodger Stadium
    • Hang out in Beverly Hills
    • Walk around inside The Colosseum in Rome

I'm about to move to Portland, OR (from DC)
    Is that so? if you need any info, give a shout out to me, Pedro, Bill Doran, GM, VR and Doc Scott... I think we can fill you in on anything that you might ponder.

Me?

Travel
    -----------
    Africa safari
    Italy and Greece
    Australia and surrounding area

Write a baseball book

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Write a baseball book
    I thinks it's safe to say every member of RZ would buy that book. Make sure you mention us!

More travel would be nice. Top two spots are:

Southern Italy and Sicily. Have wanted to go since I was a kid. The long plane ride is what keeps me from going.

California coastline up into Oregon and Washington. I've been to SoCal a few times, but only for day trips from Vegas. I'd like to drive through during the summer time.

I want to learn to box, play the piano, and surf - not necessarily in that order.

There are also a million places I want to visit, especially Greece, Italy and Australia.

I will finally get to scratch Cooperstown off the list this spring. Going for the first time as a sort of happy-40th-birthday-to-me gift.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?