Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3/18/09 Reds vs Rays

Re: 3/18/09 Reds vs Rays

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Wow, that's quite an error, LOL
    I wonder if he's making the team. He's not hitting at all and he's not very good in the field. With Dickerson having a good spring and Hairston in the fold, I don't see the need for Keppinger.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't see the need for Keppinger.
    He is not a decent major league SS, I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    An error by Kepp that would've ended the inning resulted in 6 runs off of Bray (5 unearned) after a 3 run shot off of Fisher.

Now 7-3 rays in the middle of the 7th.
    And that is precisely where this "speed and defense" house of cards collapses if Gonzalez is not back to his pre-Reds form.

As we saw last year Edwin and Kepp is about as brutal a left-side infield as possible.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, considering Kepp's struggles at the plate AND in the field, I'd certainly have no problem with us keeping either Janish or Rosales around instead of Kepp. They're both head & shoulders above Kepp with the glove. Adam's by far the more balanced of the two players though.

As for Edwin, he's got the tools and he's certainly got the glove. In my opinion, the throwing woes are all mental. If someone could address that, I'd have no problem with the kid. But if it doesn't get addressed...Francisco is calling (or Frazier).

OK...so Owings becomes the 5th starter: where do you bat him when it's his day to pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    OK...so Owings becomes the 5th starter: where do you bat him when it's his day to pitch?
    That's a good question and one Daugherty asked Marty the other night. Marty hadn't thought about that, but said he thought Dusty probably would still bat him ninth.

I tend to agree. Assuming we're looking at the lineup we all expect to see, I'm not sure it makes much sense to move him up.

As for the Kepp discussion ... The guy has a pretty darn good track record with the bat and, despite his range limitations, normally is very sure-handed. Not only do I want him on the roster, I hope he gets plenty of opportunities to start games as a super-sub. I think he's a valuable player.

Pedro Viola contined his strong spring: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    That's a good question and one Daugherty asked Marty the other night. Marty hadn't thought about that, but said he thought Dusty probably would still bat him ninth.

I tend to agree. Assuming we're looking at the lineup we all expect to see, I'm not sure it makes much sense to move him up.

As for the Kepp discussion ... The guy has a pretty darn good track record with the bat and, despite his range limitations, normally is very sure-handed. Not only do I want him on the roster, I hope he gets plenty of opportunities to start games as a super-sub. I think he's a valuable player.
    Keppinger has about 6 months of a track record. If he were three years younger, people would call him a flash in the pan.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Keppinger has about 6 months of a track record. If he were three years younger, people would call him a flash in the pan.
    Exactly. Jon Nunnally had a pretty solid season once.

Look, this game is difficult, and guys who try really, really hard at it fail all the time. No shame in that. But you gotta move on.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I read something recently (I can't remember where though) that said some of the major league pitchers have a harder time getting themselves ready to pitch during a minor league game because the atmosphere isn't as intense as a regular game so that could have been an issue with both Homer and Micah.
    This was certainly the explanation of why Milton was rocked by the Pirates A team a couple of springs back.

Turn Off Ads?