Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Things people say that irritate you

Re: Things people say that irritate you

What I don't like is when people say "utilize" when "use" is fine. The word or expression should match the intent, but not overshoot it. When the situation calls for a big word because that word correctly captures the shading of meaning intended, then great; otherwise, economize.

Most of my biases come from Strunk & White, 11th grade, circa 1982.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Due to budget positions we are terminating your position"

One of the guys I've worked with for years says this:

"It's just like anything else."

He uses it to describe just about every situation he comes across. In one particular conversation (more like an argument), I asked him what he meant by that. (in a lot more colorful terms - I can't repeat here what I really said)

He had no answer. That made him even more angry. Especially, when I started to laugh
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Can you tell I teach school?
    "Teach school" is a bit weird...

But anyway, my latest pet peeve is the phrase "factually correct". Do we really have to specify when something is factually correct? Can something be correct in a factual way and incorrect in another way?

Not a big supporter of that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    "Due to budget positions we are terminating your position"
    Budgets "contsraints" or positions?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

But anyway, my latest pet peeve is the phrase "factually correct". Do we really have to specify when something is factually correct? Can something be correct in a factual way and incorrect in another way?
    Here you go.

While it is factually correct that Puffy is 40 years old now, he certainly doesn't act like a real life adult.

Hope that helps.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

In a lot of ways, I consider myself the poster boy for Being Easily Annoyed (or, to turn it into a phrase that might irk some of YOU, I have a perpetually Sandy Vagina).

Yet, seeing all these things listed and railed against in one place makes me realize I'm probably rather forgiving on this front. I think years of writing for audiences and trying to sort out what things I do are genuinely entertaining and what are genuinely hacky and what are cases where some idiotic (perhaps jealous) minority of said audience begins railing against MY beloved rhetorical crutches has led me to an a point of odd ambivilance on this issue: it's all just words, and what counts is the meaning behind the words. I'm not saying there shouldn't be some thought put into the packaging, I'm just saying: buy the product, not the box.

Or at least, if you're going to be taking the time to complain, it had better be about the content, and not about the presentation. That's what I have trained myself to believe, anyway.

To wit, there were two great examples named above: the "It is what it is" and the flaccid corporate-slang type stuff like "I don't disagree." On their own, both of those are the sorts of things that get my Slapping Hand all warmed up and tingly... but that's when I have to tell myself "settle down," perhaps someone is just being a tinch lazy or doesn't want to waste your time with a full explanation of their thoughts, so they are supplying an easy catch-all cliche, pending the presentation of an Insightful Follow-Up Question. So it's on *me* to figure out which is lacking here...

If I follow-up, and Spanky McGee can't expand upon his ideas, then fine: it was the CONTENT that was broken, and the crappy box he wrapped it in was an accurate representation. I simply file that away and remember to try to never talk to Spanky again, or to know ahead of time that he is bordering on clinical retardation anytime I do have to talk to him. If, however, I am rewarded with am amplification of precisely "what it is" and why that's relevent to our discussion beyond a merely reflexive statement like "blue is very blue," then I know not to outright dismiss Spanky for any future displays of rhetorical laziness.

In addition to trying to get to the core content/meaning rather than obsessing over the use of words, I'll sometimes outright antagonize people if I suspect I can do it easily and without really selling my soul to the devil. For instance, I'll regularly abuse some lesser rules (especially punctuation that creates "pauses" for the eyes, like elipses or double-dashes, and abuse of "filler words" like "actually" or "kind of") to create what I hope READS like my actual voice SOUNDS in a real conversation. To some, this is annoying as all get out, like the written word has some inherently greater value than the spoken one, and must be deified. Bleh to that: I figure the joke's on the hyper-reactive posers if I manage to annoy them that badly with "Conversational Typing." It's not like I'm going 100% tard and emoticonning and LOL'ing in the name of "convenience."

Also: I purposely misuse the word "literally" as often as I can. But when I say "misuse" I mean REALLY misuse, leaving no doubt to anybody that even I (literally as dumb as a houseplant) must have done it on purpose. I think it's funny. I blame this on intense over-exposure to Gorilla Monsoon when I was in elementary school.

Rick

1. Nouns are not verbs. It drives me nuts when people use them as verbs. One recent one is a radio commercial about wearing pink for breast cancer awareness and they're saying "Who do you pink for?" Every time I hear it I want to scream at the radio, "Pink is not a verb!"

When people call adjectives nouns.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Budgets "contsraints" or positions?
    Sorry. Too tired.
    "Due to budget problems, we are terminating your position"

Quote Originally Posted by fourrunhomer View Post
    1. Nouns are not verbs. It drives me nuts when people use them as verbs. One recent one is a radio commercial about wearing pink for breast cancer awareness and they're saying "Who do you pink for?" Every time I hear it I want to scream at the radio, "Pink is not a verb!"

I don't like the corporate trend of making nouns out of adjectives. The word "deliverables" drives me up a wall and it's marketing cousin "botanicals" isn't far behind.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Only two people caught it. Hmm...
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Here you go.

While it is factually correct that Puffy is 40 years old now, he certainly doesn't act like a real life adult.

Hope that helps.

Unsure if you were joking or not, but it really doesn't help.

Actually, I appreciate and enjoy creative language expression as long as the meaning is not totally blurred. Formal language expression can be boring. Creative language can be used to create humor and poetry to our language.
    Last edited by Spitball; 03-22-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I don't like the phrase "this is a win-win" proposition. Yes, sometimes both sides win, but that usually isn't the case when someone tries to convince everyone to agree by insisting that it is a "win-win" deal.
    "Aren't I" is a phrase that has always amused me. The speaker presumably would not say "I are......", but in trying to avoid saying "I ain't" and not knowing to say "am I not," "aren't I" is the phrase spoken.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    "I seen.."
    When talking about a conversation, someone inevitably says, "So I go..."
    "I done did"
    Any automatic denial, even after having seen the offense
    "freakin'"
    "Bob Sagett"
    "That's gay"

Can you tell I teach school?
    No, but I can tell you're in Kentucky.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?