Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Things people say that irritate you

Re: Things people say that irritate you

"We are the Champions" STL Cardinals fans 2012 (hopefully not)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wrap my head around it.

I have no idea what that means.

Giants win the NLDS
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

"I'm just saying"

"Whatever"
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

"Your fly's down."

Did it ever occur to people that sometimes I want my fly down?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Something I've noticed lately in message boards and on some of my friends facebook pages (I don't have a facebook page but have seen others) is people don't form complete sentences.

Example: Dude's a beast! (You mean: That dude's a beast?)

Example: Getting ready to take shower, take Bob to grocery. (You mean: I'm getting ready to take a shower, and then I am taking Bob to the grocery)

Example: Can't decide between pizza and wings (You mean: I can't decide between pizza and wings)

I know some will say it's just to save time, but I with this trend becoming more and more common I wonder what things will look like 10 years from now.
    Don't mind that, it's almost always readily implied.

It irritates me when people complain about how people say things even though there is no confusion or misunderstanding in what's being said. I used to be guilty of it at one time, but now I feel like I "grew out of it".

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I have not read through this entire thread.

When someone says, "This is my LAST cigarette". It never usually happens.
    This weekend, a couple visited and we were hanging out in the garage watching the Buckeyes. She says to her boyfriend, "I'll quit smoking if you do".

How many times have we heard this?

Very sad how addictive this habit is though.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

"It's surreal" or "It was so surreal"

"Your account is overdrawn"

"license, registration, and proof of insurance please"
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    This weekend, a couple visited and we were hanging out in the garage watching the Buckeyes. She says to her boyfriend, "I'll quit smoking if you do".

How many times have we heard this?

Very sad how addictive this habit is though.
    I recently tried to quit and got unbelievably cranky (to put it lightly). For the most part, if you're surrounded by smokers, you're screwed. I'm just going to have to wait for a time when I don't expect to interact with people for a while because I can't expect people to have enough patience for me without a cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't like it when someone says "real" as an adverb instead of "really". I do it sometimes myself, but I try not to.

"That's real cool." "It was real big." "That's real far." Ugh, just pronounce the word.
    I believe that tendency comes from the influence of German on American English and is common in the Midwest, where large populations of German immigrants influenced the vernacular. In German, some words are the same in adjective and adverb form. The word for "real" in German is "echt." However, "echt" can also mean "really" depending on context. So a German would say "Das ist echt cool" (yes, many young Germans say "cool") or "Das ist echt Gross" and it would translate as "That is real/really cool" or "That is real/really big." Another example would be "langsam," meaning "slow/slowly." A German would say " Bitte, langsam fahren" to mean "please, drive slow/slowly." As the German lacks a distinct adverb form, German immigrants likely used the adjective form for both.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I believe that tendency comes from the influence of German on American English and is common in the Midwest, where large populations of German immigrants influenced the vernacular. In German, some words are the same in adjective and adverb form. The word for "real" in German is "echt." However, "echt" can also mean "really" depending on context. So a German would say "Das ist echt cool" (yes, many young Germans say "cool") or "Das ist echt Gross" and it would translate as "That is real/really cool" or "That is real/really big." Another example would be "langsam," meaning "slow/slowly." A German would say " Bitte, langsam fahren" to mean "please, drive slow/slowly." As the German lacks a distinct adverb form, German immigrants likely used the adjective form for both.
    Genau.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've always thought that most improper grammar is simply laziness.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Interesting. I actually took German, so I recall what you are referring to.

"bitte" is why Cincinnatians are known for saying "Please?" instead of "What?" when we don't understand something.

Turn Off Ads?