Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Things people say that irritate you

Re: Things people say that irritate you

I absolutely hate it when some complete stranger, usually a waitress or a fast food worker, calls me hon'. As in, "here's your food, hon'," or "Would you would like anything else, hon'?"

I'm not your hon'. I don't even know your name. I can understand it a little when some woman in her 60s says it. but it absolutely drives me up a wall when some teenage kid at the drive through window says it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Fiscal cliff. I've heard it 500 times this morning alone.

"I'm older than I look"

No. You aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Fiscal cliff. I've heard it 500 times this morning alone.
    I agree. If I hear that phrase one more time I may jump off a physical cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I agree. If I hear that phrase one more time I may jump off a physical cliff.
    That made me laugh out loud- I used to work with an office manager who actually said "Physical Year".
    And nobody could bring themselves to correct the poor woman.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I absolutely hate it when some complete stranger, usually a waitress or a fast food worker, calls me hon'. As in, "here's your food, hon'," or "Would you would like anything else, hon'?"

I'm not your hon'. I don't even know your name. I can understand it a little when some woman in her 60s says it. but it absolutely drives me up a wall when some teenage kid at the drive through window says it.
    Also when the wait staff calls my table "guys". As in "hi guys, what can I get you guys tonight".

I don't mind it if its the bar wench getting a round of brews at the local dive, but when I'm paying good money for food, I don't like being called "guys" like they are my best buddy and they're going to wander out to the kitchen to make me a baloney and american cheese sandwich with Miracle Whip on white bread.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Also when the wait staff calls my table "guys". As in "hi guys, what can I get you guys tonight".

I don't mind it if its the bar wench getting a round of brews at the local dive, but when I'm paying good money for food, I don't like being called "guys" like they are my best buddy and they're going to wander out to the kitchen to make me a baloney and american cheese sandwich with Miracle Whip on white bread.
    Speaking of which, I don't like it when people call a group of people "guys" when females are included. I also hate it when people say "guys and girls". It's "boys and girls" or "guys and gals". Make up your mind.

Put me down for hating it when people say "axe" when what they mean is "ask."

I cringe every time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The tendency to think every business name has to have an S on the end. You can shop at Kroger and Meijer, not Krogers and Meijers.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

How come no one knows how to pronounce "realty" and "Realtor?" Hint: it's not "reel-uh-tee" and "reel-uh-tor."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I cringe every time.
    Only when they finna go to the libarry.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I cringe every time.
    Honest question here about that.

Are there white folk who say this, besides Marty and Jeff goofing off on the radio? I've only ever heard black people say that.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Honest question here about that.

Are there white folk who say this, besides Marty and Jeff goofing off on the radio? I've only ever heard black people say that.
    I've heard it on the east coast- New York, Jersey, Connecticut, Philly- from plenty of white people.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I've heard it on the east coast- New York, Jersey, Connecticut, Philly- from plenty of white people.
    I'll have to pay attention more then. I spent plenty of time on the east coast when I was driving and never really noticed that. Around here I've only heard black people say that, but I probably hang around more black folk than the average white guy, so maybe my experience is a bit skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Yep, in addition to African-American folks, it seems to be a Northeastern white thing from my experience. Billy Joel, in his song "Don't Ask Me Why," whether jokingly or not, very clearly says at one point, "Don't AKS me why."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?