Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bats first 3 ST games

The happiest people don't need the best of every-thing; they make the best of everything they have.
    ---
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
    but how to dance in the rain.'
    ---

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bats first 3 ST games

Thanks for the links.

Game one highlights:

Louisville had three doubles, two triples and two homers in the contest with Chris Valaika leading the way with a 3-for-5 and RBI afternoon. Danny Dorn had a solo shot and two RBI and Drew Stubbs tripled.
    Game two:

Wes Bankston, Drew T. Anderson and Todd Frazier each had three hits for the Bats with the three players each connecting on home runs while driving in six of the team's eight runs.
    Juan Francisco and Kevin Barker also homered for Louisville.
    Travis Wood was the only pitcher to hold the Bulls scoreless, he struck out two and walked one in two innings.
    Game three:

They were led by outfielder Drew Stubbs, who finished 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI. Drew Anderson, Juan Ramon Francisco and Wes Bankston each finished with one hit, while Chris Valaika had a sacrifice fly.
    Dallas Buck got the start for the Bats and completed three strong innings. He allowed two hits and one unearned run, while striking out one and walking one.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Very nice to see from Stubbs. Hopefully he roars out of the gate in case Taveras falls flat on his face.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sarasota. FL - The Louisville Bats remain unbeaten in spring action as they defeated the Norfolk Tides, 5-1, Sunday afternoon. It was the team's third win against Norfolk this exhibition season.

Drew Stubbs led the Bats, going 3-for-5 with two doubles and a stolen base. Catcher Brian Peterson doubled twice and drove in two run while Chris Valaika, Sean Henry and Shaun Cumberland each had a RBI.

Sam Lecure started for Louisville and allowed the only Tides run; he gave up four hits and struck out two in three innings of work. Federico Baez, Alexander Smit and Ramon Geronimo each worked two scoreless innings in the victory.

For the second time this spring, the Bats take on the Durham Bulls at home on Monday afternoon. Louisville won the first meeting, 13-8.

http://louisville.bats.milb.com/news...=.jsp&sid=t416
    I miss Adam Dunn.

And according to Doug, Travis Wood pitched three perfect innings with 5 K's for the AA team.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Ramon Geronimo... wasn't he caught in an age change? also what was the name of the DSL pitcher for the Reds that was caught up in the marriage scandal?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Ramon Geronimo... wasn't he caught in an age change? also what was the name of the DSL pitcher for the Reds that was caught up in the marriage scandal?
    I don't know about Geronimo, but the DSL pitcher you are thinking of is Wirfin Obispo. That was a shame. He supposedly had great stuff and was full of potential but he never got the chance to pitch in the US after that scandal. Last I heard he was pitching in Japan. I remember Johnny Almarez said he was good enough to go straight from the DSL to High-A or Double-A.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-23-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Baseball Cube has Obispo pitching a total of 1 inning in 2007. 1 H 1 BB 1 K.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Sarasota, FL - The Bats dropped their first spring game of the season as the Bulls reeled off 14 hits en route to a 8-2 win.

James Avery got the start for the Bats and went three innings. He allowed six hits, three earned runs and struck out four. Adam Pettyjohn rollowed Avery by going three innings himself. He allowed four hits and two runs while striking out and walking two.

Offensively, the Bats had eight hits of their own but were only able to plate two runs. Both of their runs were courtesy of solo home runs by Craig Tatum and Wes Bankston. Tatum finished the game 2-for-3.

After an intrasquad game tomorrow the Bats return to action on Wednesday against the Rochester Red Wings. Game time is set for 1 p.m. at Sarasota.

Craig Tatum is having a great spring. With the Reds he went 6-for-14 with a double, homer, and four walks to only one strikeout. And he's still killing the ball after being sent down to Louisville. It would be huge if he could have a breakout season with the bat. His defense is major league ready now. IIRC he threw out 38% of base stealers last season.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-23-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I thought a couple weeks ago that Tatum could be a roster causualty, but I think his hitting this spring has erased that.

Richar, as per ST numbers, looks to be the odd man out, if Gomes does indeed make it. I thought Janish, but it looks like they're grooming him to be an IF jack-of-all-trades, Juan Castro type.

Ugh. I can't believe you have to groom somebody for that.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I thought a couple weeks ago that Tatum could be a roster causualty, but I think his hitting this spring has erased that.
    Almost out of the blue, the Reds have hit upon some catching depth. Hanigan has shown he can play. Castillo has opened Baker's eyes this spring (after not getting a chance, inexplicably, to catch for the big club in September). Tatum has impressed in Florida, too. I believe the team holds an option on Hernandez for 2010. If all these guys keep moving in the right direction, we're talking pieces to put in a legit trade package, not roster casualties.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I wouldn't mind having Stubbs in left field this year with Taveras and Dickerson on the bench unless Tavaras pulls a Patterson.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Thanks for the links.

Game one highlights:

Game two:

Game three:
    I'm very impressed with our minor leagues right now. Good to hear about Dallas Buck, too.

IF these guys continue to put up great seasons at Louisville this year.........it explains alot about Reds management's patience in not making any big free agent moves.........obviously expecting the farm system to continue to fill their needs.

Gotta hand it to the Reds..........it's been a very, very, very, very, very, very long time since I've enjoyed watching and following our minor league system. First Bruce, Votto, and Cueto. Then acquiring Volquez. Now hopefully more will continue to fill the major league roster and we can do things the right way for once!
    Who's on first?

Ft. Myers, FL - Wes Bankston's two-run home run with two outs in the ninth broke a 3-3 tie and propelled the Bats to a 5-3 win over the Rochester Red Wings Wednesday afternoon.

Bankston also had a three-run home run and accounted for driving in all five of the Bats' runs. He was the only player with a multi-hit game. Chris Denove went 1-for-2 and doubled for Louisville.

Arthur Rhodes, on loan from big-league camp, started for Louisville and struck out two in one scoreless inning. Ramon Ramirez, back from pitching for Team Venezuela in the WBC, allowed one run and three hits in three innings. Justin Mallett gave up two runs in three innings while Ron Flores and Jeff Kennard each pitched a scoreless frame.

I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?