Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

  1. #16
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,215

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    I don't think they'd make the decision ONLY on those 40 ab's. But those 40 ab's certainly have some say in the matter. As would their work ethic, how they perform during practice and how they're playing in general apart from the straight statistics. Just because a hit doesn't fall doesn't mean the player isn't hitting the ball hard. Just because a pitcher ends up giving up some hits doesn't mean he's not controlling his pitches well. But to say that those 40 ab's are pretty much meaningless, I'd say that's completely wrong. How they're currently playing should have more impact than how they "used" to play. None of those NRI's were good LAST year, they're all coming off stinkers. So current production is a pretty important aspect IMO...track record or no.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,939

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Deciding whether Jones/Ward/Gomes makes the team because of 40 spring training PA's is a flawed way to make decisions because attaching significant meaning to spring training stats a flawed approach. That doesn't really change whether it's your #1 starter or the 25th man.
    jojo, read my post again. Eyeballs, not stats.

  4. #18
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,616

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Really? All three have had a mixed bag of results at the major league level. How would you evaluate them?
    Estimate their true skill level, bring them in and watch them to make sure they haven't fallen off a cliff/you're estimate is sound then pick the one that fits your needs best regardless of their spring stats-even if he hit .93/.125/.111 and a guy you've estimated to be a lesser player or poorer fit hit .567/.765/1.344.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  5. #19
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    While they may certainly be proven talent, the only thing they are proving this Spring is they know how to get their heads beat in.
    Because they're not worried about their spring training stats. Both Arroyo and Harang have admitted they are just working on some things and aren't concerned about stats.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #20
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Here's a list of some big name pitchers and how they are faring this spring:

    Cliff Lee - 6.2 IP, 19 H, 2 BB/5 K, 18.90 ERA

    Scott Kazmir - 10 IP, 16 H, 1 BB/6 K, 5.40 ERA

    Matt Garza - 10.2 IP, 12 H, 3 BB/7 K, 5.90 ERA

    Matt Cain - 16.1 IP, 21 H, 7 BB/15 K, 7.16 ERA

    CC Sabathia - 7.2 IP, 9 H, 2 BB/9 K, 7.04 ERA

    And that's just a few. I could've named plenty more. Most guys who have jobs locked down are just focused on getting their work in and getting prepared for the regular season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #21
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Here's a list of some big name pitchers and how they are faring this spring:

    Cliff Lee - 6.2 IP, 19 H, 2 BB/5 K, 18.90 ERA

    Scott Kazmir - 10 IP, 16 H, 1 BB/6 K, 5.40 ERA

    Matt Garza - 10.2 IP, 12 H, 3 BB/7 K, 5.90 ERA

    Matt Cain - 16.1 IP, 21 H, 7 BB/15 K, 7.16 ERA

    CC Sabathia - 7.2 IP, 9 H, 2 BB/9 K, 7.04 ERA

    And that's just a few. I could've named plenty more. Most guys who have jobs locked down are just focused on getting their work in and getting prepared for the regular season.
    One huge difference is that these guys aren't coming off subpar seasons. Everyone understands your point, and it is valid. But there is more to assessing ST performance than just stats.

  8. #22
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Anyone remember which players had really good springs last year and who had really bad ones?
    last year no, but i do remember Jimmy Anderson, Emil Brown, and Rob Stratford's spring training for the Reds.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  9. #23
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Estimate their true skill level, bring them in and watch them to make sure they haven't fallen off a cliff/you're estimate is sound then pick the one that fits your needs best regardless of their spring stats-even if he hit .93/.125/.111 and a guy you've estimated to be a lesser player or poorer fit hit .567/.765/1.344.
    except as platoon players, they are all at roughly the same level offensively. Jones gives a defensive edge cause he takes good routes. to me, a Jones/Ward/Gomes spring competition is the only way you can figure out who comes north (i'd prefere Gomes and Ward in that order).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  10. #24
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,837

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    One huge difference is that these guys aren't coming off subpar seasons. Everyone understands your point, and it is valid. But there is more to assessing ST performance than just stats.
    I'm of the opinion that simply ignoring spring training stats altogether is for the best. Such a small sample of such different competition than what will be faced come the regular season.

    I'm not saying this to suggest there is no reason to assume that Harang will bounce all the way back to his pre 2008 form. But spring training evidence is not in the least compelling in suggesting that there's reason to be concerned he's about to repeat 2008 all over again.

    I think that spring training is a good place for observations. If Harang was getting negative reviews about the quality of his stuff, I'd be somewhat concerned about his status going into the season.

    If I were to consider looking at stats, I think that peripheral stats would be the best possible indicator of a how a guy is doing. It's the reason that I think Owings and Bailey are starting to look interesting, and on the same token, perhaps a sign that Harang is far from sharp right now.

    But I wont be worried about Harang until he shows the same types of struggles in the regular season. Anything else is completely premature IMO, considering the dozens of reasons of why spring training sucks as a predictive tool. Until then, I believe we have just as much reason to label Harang as a question mark today as we did at the end of the 2008 season. No more, no less.

  11. #25
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,665

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Pitchers I don't worry about so much in ST statwise. Hitters are a bit different, getting your stroke down - the timing, the mechanics of your swing, by the time the season gets close those things should start clicking. If they're not the player may be in for a slow start at least. Hot hitting in spring doesn't impress me much unless it's basically an equal choice of who stays or goes on the fringes then you might as well go with the guy showing something everything else being basically equal. That the Jones-Gomes thing in a nutshell. Jonny is doing it, Jacque looks finished. Hanigan though HAS been impressive. What bothers me so far is the team still simply looks disjointed. Hopefully that changes but they still are making dumb errors, looking sloppy too often.

  12. #26
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    More important than most early stats, they're all working on their timing. They're watching the hitters to see if they're squaring it up, the pitchers to see if they're hitting their spots. They're playing their way back into baseball shape.

    Even if in top physical shape, the day in, day out baseball activity gets you in the rhythm of a very fast game. No amount of off season practice can duplicate that.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    last year no, but i do remember Jimmy Anderson, Emil Brown, and Rob Stratford's spring training for the Reds.
    Emil Brown? What has he had to do with the Reds?

    The big guy was Stratton.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  14. #28
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Spring training stats are evil.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  15. #29
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,344

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    I don't think you can ust look at ST stats and make a judgement one way or another. But for a guy like Jones, you look to see what he's done during the regular season as of late and you look at the ST stats and you have to think that the guy cannot hit anymore. It's highly unlikely that he's going to perform poorly in the spring and all of a sudden revert to All Star form when the regular season starts.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  16. #30
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think you can ust look at ST stats and make a judgement one way or another. But for a guy like Jones, you look to see what he's done during the regular season as of late and you look at the ST stats and you have to think that the guy cannot hit anymore. It's highly unlikely that he's going to perform poorly in the spring and all of a sudden revert to All Star form when the regular season starts.
    I agree with this.
    I miss Adam Dunn.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25