Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harang being shopped?

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Harang being shopped?

It is an Insider story so some of you wont be able to read it but Gammons says the Reds are going to be in a "wait and see" mode with Harang during the season. If Owings and Bailey weren't pitching as well as they are I doubt this would even be talked about by them. Maybe today's 6 no-hit innings will stop their shopping inquiries.

Harang being shopped

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang being shopped?

This is from Gammons so I take it with a grain of salt. That said, I wouln't be surprised to see either Harang or Arroyo dealt at some point IF the young guys step up but I'd be shocked if there was any kind of deal before July.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 03-22-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: emphasis on IF
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Gammons throws things at the wall to see what sticks. I don't put much stock in his rumors. I don't think trading Harang for a quality young bat would be the worst move, though.

Why not, hopefully Gammons lites a fire in the FO, maybe this could get us something good in return at trade deadline??
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Harang has a bad outing and then a great outing then a bad outing and then a great outing.........back and forth. I do have concerns about his declining velocity though.
    Who's on first?

I think the wait and see attitude is more due to the Reds success this season than to Harang's performance. If they are in contention, they'll keep him, if not, and he's healthy, he'd get a nice return near the trading deadline.

Old Red Guard Reject

$12.5 million next season and $12.75 million with a $2 million buyout for 2011

I think that is the reason for the discussion/speculation. The article mentions Harang going 34-23 with a 3.68 and then after the infamous bullpen session 4-11 with a 5.88 ERA. For argument's sake, let's say he ends up somewhere in between going about .500 with 4.78 ERA. 12-13 million per year would be a lot for a small market team like the Reds to take on for that kind of production. Ditto for Arroyo. If I were Walt, I'd be hitting up Boston, New York, Chicago, LA, etc. to see what the interest is.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Gammons throws things at the wall to see what sticks. I don't put much stock in his rumors. I don't think trading Harang for a quality young bat would be the worst move, though.
    +1

Is there a bigger ripoff or drain on your wallet these days then paying to be an ESPN Insider? haha come on fellas.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Just to compare...

Harang: 09:$11M, 10:$12.5M, 11:$12.75M ($2M buyout)
    Arroyo: 09:$9.5M, 10:$11M, 11:$11M club option ($2M buyout)

IF the young guns step up (and Harang rebounds) than at least one of them won't finish their contract with us. But with as much as is owed to them we'll either have to throw in some money or accept a lesser prospect.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    +1

Is there a bigger ripoff or drain on your wallet these days then paying to be an ESPN Insider? haha come on fellas.
    Uh....No. It is $4.95. Let me repeat, four dollars and ninety five cents. For that I get to read all of the insider content on the website and I get a subscription to ESPN the Magazine. I doubt you could find a better value on any other site.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Uh....No. It is $4.95. Let me repeat, four dollars and ninety five cents. For that I get to read all of the insider content on the website and I get a subscription to ESPN the Magazine. I doubt you could find a better value on any other site.
    I dont think that ESPN the mag iss even worth the paper it's printed on. No offense to you obviously, I just have never really liked that mag.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Personally, I'd rather trade CoCo, spend that money on a LF power bat, and release Tavares. Keep Harang and Arroyo.

IFF our entire offense can come around in 2010 after a "developmental" 2009 for Bruce, Votto, EE, BP where they all make strides forward, we could really do some damage - with an additional .800/.850+ OPS in the OF.
    I actually thought we had a decent shot this year, however we got Tavares instead of a Burrell/Dunn type, so we are doomed.
    Our only hope is that Tavares sucks so bad that they release him so we don't even have to consider him for 2010. Dickerson or Stubbs or someone else could come up and play CF.
    The other hole that needs to be addressed for 2010 is SS. IFF we spent enough on an OF-er to bring some OPS, we could afford to go Defense alone and put him in the 8 hole. As it sits now, we need offense out of our SS, so we're sacrificing D to put a Keppinger or Hairston in there. UGH!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is NO reason to have a $12M closer on this team, even if he was Mariano Rivera.
    $12M SP's I can live with, IFF we had an offense (or a defense) to support it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I'd move Cordero in half a heartbeat if we could find a taker. No one is going to want him at that price. That contract is an albatross.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Our only hope is that Tavares sucks so bad that they release him so we don't even have to consider him for 2010.
    Yes that is our only hope, because why would we hope that he plays well and helps our team? That'd be silly.

Rusty the Red

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Personally, I'd rather trade CoCo, spend that money on a LF power bat, and release Tavares. Keep Harang and Arroyo.

IFF our entire offense can come around in 2010 after a "developmental" 2009 for Bruce, Votto, EE, BP where they all make strides forward, we could really do some damage - with an additional .800/.850+ OPS in the OF.
    I actually thought we had a decent shot this year, however we got Tavares instead of a Burrell/Dunn type, so we are doomed.
    Our only hope is that Tavares sucks so bad that they release him so we don't even have to consider him for 2010. Dickerson or Stubbs or someone else could come up and play CF.
    The other hole that needs to be addressed for 2010 is SS. IFF we spent enough on an OF-er to bring some OPS, we could afford to go Defense alone and put him in the 8 hole. As it sits now, we need offense out of our SS, so we're sacrificing D to put a Keppinger or Hairston in there. UGH!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is NO reason to have a $12M closer on this team, even if he was Mariano Rivera.
    $12M SP's I can live with, IFF we had an offense (or a defense) to support it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    We are not doomed. Tavares may have a great season and I'm glad we are trying something new. The three run homer offense didn't work, so I love to see us going with speed. I really hope that Tavares is a base stealing and run scoring demon this season to shut up some of you guys who are so negative about him.

Turn Off Ads?