Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez Injured

Alex Gonzalez Injured

Per ORG -

This time it isn’t the left knee, it is the right hamstring that knocked shortstop Alex Gonzalez out of today’s lineup.

Gonzalez left today’s game after the second inning and it wasw thought hemay have tweaked that problem left knee.

Gonzalez hit a ball to deep short and narrowly beat the throw to first for an infield hit. But after he crossed the bag and turned to walk back to first, he stopped to flex his right leg, indicating something was amiss.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

I think that this would be a nice time to give Janish an extended try out in the bigs. Yeah he can't hit but his defense would be a huge lift IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gonzalez Injured

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Per ORG -

This time it isn’t the left knee, it is the right hamstring that knocked shortstop Alex Gonzalez out of today’s lineup.

Gonzalez left today’s game after the second inning and it wasw thought hemay have tweaked that problem left knee.

Gonzalez hit a ball to deep short and narrowly beat the throw to first for an infield hit. But after he crossed the bag and turned to walk back to first, he stopped to flex his right leg, indicating something was amiss.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

I think that this would be a nice time to give Janish an extended try out in the bigs. Yeah he can't hit but his defense would be a huge lift IMO.
    Can Rosales play shortstop very well?

If Rosales cracks this teams starting lineup they're in BIG trouble. I'd be surprised if he even made the team. Hairston and Keppinger would be next in line at SS in my opinion. I don't understand the big Rosales following, he's hitting .258 this spring, and hasn't proven he can do better in the past.

I would much rather see Hairston and Kepp long before Janish comes back. I know he's a great SS but his bat, as discussed in great depth last season, leaves much to be desired. From what I saw his bat doesn't have the potential to be big league caliber. Hairston and Keppinger on the other hand have both proven they can handle this level both defensively and offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Can Rosales play shortstop very well?
    Rosales was drafted as a SS

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Rosales was drafted as a SS
    Yes, but, can he PLAY shortstop?

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    If Rosales cracks this teams starting lineup they're in BIG trouble. I'd be surprised if he even made the team. Hairston and Keppinger would be next in line at SS in my opinion. I don't understand the big Rosales following, he's hitting .258 this spring, and hasn't proven he can do better in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Root Down View Post
    I would much rather see Hairston and Kepp long before Janish comes back. I know he's a great SS but his bat, as discussed in great depth last season, leaves much to be desired. From what I saw his bat doesn't have the potential to be big league caliber. Hairston and Keppinger on the other hand have both proven they can handle this level both defensively and offensively.
    Hairston had a great year last year and Keppinger has had some success, but both are struggling with the bat, mightily. Both play below average SS defense. One will probably be a substitute at best. I say you want your sub to be a superior defensive guy - Rosales and Janish are better defensive guys. They are inexperienced, but in that, maybe there's upside. They might become better hitters. Its unlikely that JHJ and Kepp will be able to increase their range.

If Keppinger comes alive at the plate, maybe he's got a shot. If not, we can't afford to keep him and its Rosales.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

I have serious doubts about our defense if Hairston or Kepp get the nod at SS. We should take the hit offensively and put the best defensive option at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have serious doubts about our defense if Hairston or Kepp get the nod at SS. We should take the hit offensively and put the best defensive option at SS.
    Well said. Unless our left side infield defense is substantially better, we are a sub-500 team. Pitching, outfield defense, and catching are all improved. Let's finish the job. After a chronically injured Gonzalez, Janish looks to me to be the only true SS option. As for 3B, I say give EE half a season to show he has learned to throw accurately.

Look boys, were going to desperately NEED hitting to have any kind of chance this year at the playoffs.

Putting janish in the lineup is the worst idea ive read on here.

Hairston or Kepp or go out and get someone else. Janish not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Look boys, were going to desperately NEED hitting to have any kind of chance this year at the playoffs.

Putting janish in the lineup is the worst idea ive read on here.

Hairston or Kepp or go out and get someone else. Janish not an option.
    What kind of offensive numbers are you counting on for Hairston and Keppinger? Obviously, the .188 average Janish put up in his first 80 ABs would not get the job done. That is a small sample size, however. Hairston put up those numbers in twice as many ABs for Texas in 2007. I think the point that several of us are trying to make is that Janish should get a look. If he can simply put up .250 AVG and .330 OBP, he would be a better choice.

If Gonzalez is out for any serious stretch, the Reds will definitely make a move to get a viable defensive SS to fill in. They have made it clear that defense comes first, and with a position as important as SS, I can't see them going with who they have for any long period of time. Kepp, and Hairston are not solid enough defenders while Janish and Rosales are too unproven to start on an everyday basis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    If Gonzalez is out for any serious stretch, the Reds will definitely make a move to get a viable defensive SS to fill in. They have made it clear that defense comes first, and with a position as important as SS, I can't see them going with who they have for any long period of time. Kepp, and Hairston are not solid enough defenders while Janish and Rosales are too unproven to start on an everyday basis.

If AGon hits the DL, Rosales will probably make the squad until they can find a "viable" SS. They were purportedly looking earlier in the off-season, so maybe they have a couple potentials. Should have done it over the off-season, imo. Apparently, they were banking on AGon to get healthy and Keppinger to hit.

Best thing, in the short term, is AGon pulling through. They're minimizing the severity of the injury, but we've all heard that before.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

From John Fay:

--Alex Gonzalez went home Miami on off day to work with his therapist there. He's back. Baker said again the injury is fairly minor.
    That sounds like good news.

I don't normally read much into ST lineups, but with less than two weeks left until opening day, today's lineup is interesting. Janish at SS, Kepp at 2B and Rosales at 3B. With AGON's health an issue and EE having a poor spring, I'd say that these three players are being intensely evaluated for the last roster spot.

Turn Off Ads?