Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arizona

Arizona

I've been looking at grad schools out of state non stop lately, because quite frankly I've learned that the market for high school history teacher jobs in Ohio is very poor. I've looked into Florida, which I know a good bit about, but I've also looked into Arizona State. Can anyone tell me anything worthwhile about Arizona? I hear it's a state with many cities that have growing populations, but I was wondering if it would be a desirable place to live, if you can deal with the heat? Thanks for any help

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arizona

Arizona is hot, pretty darn hot... State is in Phoenix and it's a nice city, 4 pro teams and lots to do outside of that realm. If you like the outdoors then Arizona can offer you lots, it's close to Vegas, LA and Mexico and SW and AW flies in and out of Phoenix so getting around by plane is easy. Arizona is hit hard by the current economy problems though.

It's a new looking place, doesn't have an air of history that is not "Old West" and is at times considered a place that is more LA than Santa Fe. That said I like AZ, but I love the desert and that's an acquired taste.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Arizona economy pretty effected by the mortgage meltdown?

I have only been out there once but was impressed. The natural landscape within a short drive is awesome. It is hot but not humidity hot. That said 100 degrees is hot no matter if it is dry heat or not.

Personally, I really like the Phoenix area. As WOY said the desert is great and it's certainly a change from Ohio weather.

The thing I like about Phoenix is that it's a real city. It has professional sports, a major university, arts (although I think the Scottsdale MOMA is bit weak), good restaurants and shopping. Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home/headquarters is in Scottsdale and a great tour if you like architecture, as I do. The Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction is possibly the best event of it's kind in the US. Tons of golf and tennis (Although they lost pro tennis events, a major TPC event is played there every year.) There is a terrific Food Festival in Tempe every year. Not quite as big as the Taste of Cincinnati (one of the largest in the US), but close.

Relative to California the houseing is a lot cheaper but probably higher than Ohio. As WOY said, air travel is easy but you could also easily drive to LA, LV, San Diego and so on. We get a lot of people that are visiting 'at the beach' in the summertime that are from Phoenix.

I was set to do my Master's at ASU but got an offer to become a partner in the firm I was working for at the time (in Cleveland) and I took it and that's how I ended up in Cincinnati instead of Phoenix.

I've considered looking into the Phoenix area when it comes time to retire. My one concern is, of course, the heat in the summer. I have a friend that has lived there for about 12 years. She tells me that you do adapt to it. Your body becomes more conditioned to it but she and her husband have changed their lifestyle a bit in the summer. For instance, if you play tennis, you either play early morning (6-9 AM) or late at night (9-11 PM).

With more than half of the MLB teams training in Arizona next year and the D'backs there, if you love baseball it's 'Mecca'.

All in all, IMO, a very nice city. Friendly people because so many of them are from somewhere else and they are making friends.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Hopefully, JMcClain sees this tread. He can probably give you the best ideas.

Rem

I appreciate all of the insight so far. Thanks

I'm going to give a shout out for Tucson ... not as big and sprawling as metro Phoenix. Natural settings more accessible. So, if the academic program works for you, consider UA.

The "dry heat" thing does mean something. Not so much at the peak of the day, but once the sun goes down. Summer evenings are just gorgeous most of the time. (Now, I lived in Tucson, not Phoenix).

I'm thinking of re-locating to Phoenix next year. Actually, anywhere I can get a job. I'm looking all over the Southwest and Oregon.

my college roommate works for the Dbacks so I've visited Phoenix a time or two. I really like the city and there are some nice suberbs not too far from downtown as well. While it is a great deal hotter than Ohio, the nights are absolutely beautiful for the most part.

Also, ASU has a pretty high quality of coed as well...two thumbs up from my experiences

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Personally, I really like the Phoenix area. As WOY said the desert is great and it's certainly a change from Ohio weather.

The thing I like about Phoenix is that it's a real city. It has professional sports, a major university, arts (although I think the Scottsdale MOMA is bit weak), good restaurants and shopping. Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home/headquarters is in Scottsdale and a great tour if you like architecture, as I do. The Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction is possibly the best event of it's kind in the US. Tons of golf and tennis (Although they lost pro tennis events, a major TPC event is played there every year.) There is a terrific Food Festival in Tempe every year. Not quite as big as the Taste of Cincinnati (one of the largest in the US), but close.

Relative to California the houseing is a lot cheaper but probably higher than Ohio. As WOY said, air travel is easy but you could also easily drive to LA, LV, San Diego and so on. We get a lot of people that are visiting 'at the beach' in the summertime that are from Phoenix.

I was set to do my Master's at ASU but got an offer to become a partner in the firm I was working for at the time (in Cleveland) and I took it and that's how I ended up in Cincinnati instead of Phoenix.

I've considered looking into the Phoenix area when it comes time to retire. My one concern is, of course, the heat in the summer. I have a friend that has lived there for about 12 years. She tells me that you do adapt to it. Your body becomes more conditioned to it but she and her husband have changed their lifestyle a bit in the summer. For instance, if you play tennis, you either play early morning (6-9 AM) or late at night (9-11 PM).

With more than half of the MLB teams training in Arizona next year and the D'backs there, if you love baseball it's 'Mecca'.

All in all, IMO, a very nice city. Friendly people because so many of them are from somewhere else and they are making friends.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Hopefully, JMcClain sees this tread. He can probably give you the best ideas.

Rem
    Plus it's got the 2nd highest kidnapping rate in the world, right behind Mexico City. So there's that.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Half of my wife's high school friends moved out there some time ago. There was plenty of work in their field (medical) and they love it out there.

I've never been out to visit, but my wife has. She would largely echo the sentiment about the heat; they did a lot in the early morning and stayed inside throughout the day. She went with a cousin and some friends and had a great time out late, too. I gathered, from the pics, that the nightlife there was fun.

On the job front, though, I'm not so sure, lately. One cousin was looking to move out there with the group, but recently decided against it. She was concerned about the economy and finding a job in her profession (education).
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

CC - I just responded to your PM so check that out.

AZ is a fantastic place to live. It's a baseball mecca with Spring Training Feb & March, the Dbacks until October and the Arizona Fall League in Oct & Nov.

There are transplants from the East Coast & Midwest aplenty, the weather is amazing for 7 months out of the year and the prices on local homes can't be beat right now.

If you think of the 115+ degree days in the summer as the equivalent of Ohio's winters, you'll do fine. Except when the sun goes down you can still go outside and fire up the grill, something you can't do in a Cincy snowstorm.

Most locals just complain about it but survive the 4-5 months of summer to put up with the fantastic weather the rest of the year. Learn to drive with oven mitts and you'll be ok.

Turn Off Ads?