Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pet thread

The Pet thread

OK, in the spirit of Boss's puppy adoption thread, here's a chance to talk about your pets.

I have a cat and a dog. The cat, "Gracie" (named after the famous Brazilian Jiu-jitsu family) I've had for 13 years. She's old, cranky and really only likes me. Since she's a teenager, she's going through a bout with feline acne so I have to use Stridex pads on her face. She also has a IBS which means she has to take Pepcid.

She'd like to order a rum and coke, please!

This is my Mom's cat, Polly. Dad caught her "mid-lick." I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture but this cat has got some serious "diameter."

Last, but certainly not least is Gordy the dog. My wife has wanted a dog for a long, long time so I finally gave in and agreed. We researched different breeds for a long time and on our first trip out to "just see" at the local rescue, we found him! I think we were pretty lucky because Gordy is the perfect dog. He's the polar opposite of Gracie in every way: young, friendly, no acne, wants to sit on your lap, wants to play, etc.

Here he is posing while a bit disheveled looking:

I was amazed we could find a purebred Shih Tzu at a rescue! But there he was. Here's another shot of him doing "bidness:"

"I'm Gordy and I'd like to help you refinance!"

Post your pets!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Re: The Pet thread

Unable to post pics...but heres our pet info. We have a cat, "Scamper", as in "He scampers around the bases". She adopted my wife during a visit to "Cat Welfare", a local shelter that takes in homeless cats. I was watching an OSU basketball game approximately four years ago when my wife called me and stated---"You have to get here quick". She was afraid other visitors would adopt Scamper before she could. Scamper looks to be a Maine Coon and is very socialble and a major part of our family.

My Boxer, "Roxie"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Unable to post pics...but heres our pet info. We have a cat, "Scamper", as in "He scampers around the bases". She adopted my wife during a visit to "Cat Welfare", a local shelter that takes in homeless cats. I was watching an OSU basketball game approximately four years ago when my wife called me and stated---"You have to get here quick". She was afraid other visitors would adopt Scamper before she could. Scamper looks to be a Maine Coon and is very socialble and a major part of our family.
    I love Maine Coons. If I were to get another cat should Gracie go to the great litter box in the sky, I'd get a Maine Coon.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I love Maine Coons. If I were to get another cat should Gracie go to the great litter box in the sky, I'd get a Maine Coon.
    I have two, they are 1/4 Persian too. the one on the right is Hoss he weighs 18 lbs, he's my favorite pet of all time as an adult... the one on the left is Pez he's the runt of the litter (13 pounds) and smarter than most dogs I have met.

They are not like most cats, kind of dog like in their behavior and loyalty, however they are afraid of every other human in the world outside their existence.

We have 4 :
    * 9-yr old golden retreiver Parker that we got as a rescue 3 yrs ago after our previous golden has unexpectedly passed on. He's a big goofy guy who just loves everything.

* a nearly 2-yr old Havanese we got as a puppy. We never thought of ourselves as small dog people, but we just love her. Our daughter wanted a smaller dog for "her" puppy, so we researched breeds and came up with this one. Great personality although I think she'd go crazy if my wife ever went back to work full-time!

* 2 "outdoor" cats - Blackie & Diamond - 9 yr-old brothers; These guys were "found" on our property as kittens when I first started working on this house, before we lived in it. They had 2 other brothers and as winter was approaching I began to let them stay in the garage of the empty house. We soon got them all to the vet for shots and neutering, etc. I adopted 2 of them out very soon and we kept the other 2. They come into the garage every night to sleep. Diamond had severe feline acne a couple years ago, and boy was that weird & gross. Fortunately it has never recurred! Diamond has also had his ACL repaired, and both have made a couple other emergency room trips, but are healthy as can be.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

We have two cats, both from the humane society so I'm not sure about their origins.

Max is now about 14(I think) My wife and I adopted him shortly after we were married. Our first choice was an orange and black cat named Boomer(my wife doesn't pay enough attention to my sports to know why I was excited about an orange and black cat named Boomer,) but he refused to come out of his cage. I'd never seen a cat do the thing where they put all four legs on the side of the cage and don't come out. Despite the worker yelling, "this is your last chance, you blew it Boomer," he refused to come. So we adopted Max instead. He's black and white and loves being around Ashley and me, but pretty much is anti-social to everyone else.
    We got him in the summer, and apparantly he was coming up on the end of his stay when we adopted him so all the workers were happy.

We got Fred as a sort of tribute to my aunt who was an animal lover, she'd rescue animals from the side of the road and keep them all, she passed away and I heard someone mention adopting a dog as a tribute. I thought it was a good idea but to get a second cat. I mentioned this Ashley and one day I was at work and she called, told me to look at two cats on-line and pick.
    Fred is a giant orange and white cat. We named him Fred after one of the Weasley twins because we're dorks like that.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

We only have one pet now, a wonderful dog named Moxie.
    She's some kind of a shepherd, maybe australian, or maybe part collie, but not as large. We have alternatively thought she might actually be a coyote, or at least be part coyote because she has some very strange, wild-like habits. My wife found her, abandoned at about 5 weeks old. She is by far, with apologies to my former dogs, the best dog I've ever had; loyal, 100% obedient, with a sweet and friendly disposition (unless you are a man who has a beard...or a white truck).

My old lab went to the great lake in the sky two years ago. He was the swimmingest dog in the universe. If I took him in my canoe, he'd inevitably hop out and swim next to me.

And we've had cats; one who fetched, one who loved to antagonize our dogs, one was a Maine Coon (what great cats they are!) and one that had a broken hip when we found her and turned out to hate everyone in the world except my mother in law (so we gave her to her).
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Jobu

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Our chocolate lab, Charlie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Two black cats (with just a very few white hairs) named Jake and Dexter. They were 2 of a litter of 5 cats, all of them black, born to a feral cat who was rescued by a friend of ours. We picked the names because they sounded like the names of guys who would be your buddies. And they are. They just turned 1 year old two days ago.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have two, they are 1/4 Persian too. the one on the right is Hoss he weighs 18 lbs, he's my favorite pet of all time as an adult... the one on the left is Pez he's the runt of the litter (13 pounds) and smarter than most dogs I have met.

They are not like most cats, kind of dog like in their behavior and loyalty, however they are afraid of every other human in the world outside their existence.

Those are some good looking cats!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Here is Bruno, our pug. He turns 9 this summer, and just got done with surgery for kidney stones. ($1300!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Jobu

Does he help you hit the fastball?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

This is Elliot. She's named after the Scrubs character, and is great at being neurotic, flighty, and talkative.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Turn Off Ads?