Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds' last moves?

Reds' last moves?

I always enjoy speculating about the final roster moves. I'm always wrong, the team always goes in some unexpected direction for a few spots.

My guess is that the Reds are talking to other teams about a few players who possibly could be replaced by rookies or guys picked up on minor league contracts.

Massett -- the Reds may be considering moving him and using Bailey or Roenicke or possibly a third lefty instead. Guess -- Reds will open the season with Massett and use him heavily in mop up situations to eat innings. It's good to have someone like that.

Bray -- Guy has a great arm but his results haven't been great. 1.57 WHIP last season is a lot of base runners allowed for a reliever. Guess-- Reds are seriously considering keeping Herrera and starting Bray at AAA or possibly even trading him.

Keppinger -- It's been reported that Boston is considering him. Reds seem to be considering keeping Rosales or possibly Janish instead. Guess -- somehow Rosales will make the team instead of Kepp. But I like Kepp and hope they find a way to keep him.

Jones/Nix/Castillo -- I'm assuming the Reds want a lefty bat off the bench some place. Right now, the list of Hairston, Hanigan, Kepp or Rosales, Gomes, is all right handed. Guess -- Jones stays if he performs reasonably ok in the last week. But don't rule out Castillo who plays several positions including that key role of third catcher.

And maybe, as a wild card, someone like Darnell McDonald makes it because of his great spring performance. If he was a lefty bat it would help his cause.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds' last moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I always enjoy speculating about the final roster moves. I'm always wrong, the team always goes in some unexpected direction for a few spots.

<SNIP>

Massett -- the Reds may be considering moving him and using Bailey or Roenicke or possibly a third lefty instead. Guess -- Reds will open the season with Massett and use him heavily in mop up situations to eat innings. It's good to have someone like that.

<SNIP>
    I would say you are spot on about this. They will take a performance like yesterday, where Massett has one good outing, and somehow decide that he has "turned a corner" or something.

What they should do is polish him up and trade him to some other team looking for a mop-up guy. The Reds always seem to have an overabundance of mop-up guys.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I would say you are spot on about this. They will take a performance like yesterday, where Massett has one good outing, and somehow decide that he has "turned a corner" or something.

What they should do is polish him up and trade him to some other team looking for a mop-up guy. The Reds always seem to have an overabundance of mop-up guys.
    Unfortunately, there's been a lot of mopping up to do in recent years. Here's hoping this year's pitching staff keeps the floor clean.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

It will be frustrating for this fan if Jacque Jones makes the team over Laynce Nix, given Jones' advancing age, his deteriorating bat speed as evidenced in his hitting numbers over the least year (and something which has carried over to this spring), and the fact that he is not as good a defender as Nix.

Nix is the upside play, helps at all three OF positions, and is not in a marked decline.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It will be frustrating for this fan if Jacque Jones makes the team over Laynce Nix, given Jones' advancing age, his deteriorating bat speed as evidenced in his hitting numbers over the least year (and something which has carried over to this spring), and the fact that he is not as good a defender as Nix.

Nix is the upside play, helps at all three OF positions, and is not in a marked decline.
    You might want to read over Nix's lifetime major league record. Focus on OBP and K/BB rate.

Jones doesn't have upside, but we're talking about a reserve outfielder role. A guy who is on the bench most of the time.

And Jones had one bad year, in which he was sporadically used. I'm not sure we can conclude that he is finished because of that one season. His lifetime record is light years' better than Nix's record.

I don't think either is an ideal candidate, frankly. I would be in the market for another left handed hitter if I were Walt. Or I'd give Castillo a shot, although it's hard for a rookie to be the main lefty pinch hitter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-26-2009 at 02:54 PM.

His lifetime record is light years' better than Nix's record.
    Unfortunately, Mr. Peabody hid 'The Wayback Machine'.

Rem

Jacque Jones doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this team. If it comes down to Jones or Nix, Nix should make the team. Jones had a few good years but that's about it. He was below average in 2007, awful in 2008, and he's looked completely lost at the plate this spring. Nix hasn't exactly set the world on fire either but at least he has some upside with the bat and he can play all three outfield positions well.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

With Nix you're going to have strikeout after strikeout in pinch hitting roles. He's a high K, low BB, free swinger. He just doesn't fit the need for a steady pinch hitter from the left side.

Jones would be more suitable, but it's hard to know if he has anything left. He may not.

Castillo is a rookie, not ideal to pinch hit.

I wonder if Walt is looking outside the organization.

With Nix you're going to have strikeout after strikeout in pinch hitting roles. He's a high K, low BB, free swinger. He just doesn't fit the need for a steady pinch hitter from the left side.

Jones would be more suitable, but it's hard to know if he has anything left. He may not.
    And with Jones you're going to have strikeout after strikeout and weak groundout after weak groundout. He's been a disaster at the plate over the last couple years. Meanwhile, Nix posted an .887 OPS in Triple-A last year, .868 in AAA in 2007, and .853 OPS in AAA in 2006.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Jacque Jones is worthless. Keep the ex-Cubs away from Dusty!
    Stop! Heisey time!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Why keep either? Seriously, why? Jones, Nix, Castillo...I wouldn't bother with ANY of them. We've got Dickerson, Taveras, Bruce, Gomes, Hairston, Votto, who all have OF experience and I would even consider slaping Owings out there in an emergency. How many OF backups do we need? I'd rather keep an extra IF'er like Rosales or Janish over Jones or Nix. Castillo is a super utility, but I think I'd prefer a slightly more focused utility guy like Rosales/Janish. I don't want to carry Castillo just because he gives us a third catcher. We can go with 2 until Sept. In an emergency situation, let Votto catch...that's where he started, right?

So that leaves the situation down to a left-hander off the bench. When Dickerson's not starting, he's out lefty off the bench. When he is starting, we just don't have a lefty on the bench. Is that such a horrible thing? If we simply must have a lefty on the bench full time...then go outside the club and get one. Nix & Jones aren't the answers IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I don't think much of Nix, Castillo or Jones.

I would like to see the Reds make a minor deal moving one of their RH bench bats for a LH bench bat.

take a flier on gary matthews junior.....just a thought.......

You might want to read over Nix's lifetime major league record. Focus on OBP and K/BB rate.

Jones doesn't have upside, but we're talking about a reserve outfielder role. A guy who is on the bench most of the time.

And Jones had one bad year, in which he was sporadically used. I'm not sure we can conclude that he is finished because of that one season. His lifetime record is light years' better than Nix's record.

I don't think either is an ideal candidate, frankly. I would be in the market for another left handed hitter if I were Walt. Or I'd give Castillo a shot, although it's hard for a rookie to be the main lefty pinch hitter.
    Would the St. Lous Cardinals Zone version of you in 2007 have been slagging on them keeping Ryan Ludwick?

I'm sorry, but between a 27-year-old who still has potential (Nix) and a 33-year-old who does NOT have access to the wayback machine of which Rem speaks and DOES have easily identifiable declining skills, I am going with the 27-year-old, every time. The upside play is keeping Nix, it's close to a no-brainer as between him and Jones.

There is a philosophical divide, between you and I, it is clear, as the years have passed, over the approach in this situation. You seem to default to vets based on their history (however ancient), I prefer, particularly for a team like Cincy which is rebuild mode, to keep guys who still have the potential to surprise.

For me, this is simple. With these choices, it's Nix.

PS:

I do actually know his numbers, majors AND minors. They all tell me Nix is the play over Jones. Worth a flier. Like St. Louis did with Ludiwck. Because...yaneverknow.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    take a flier on gary matthews junior.....just a thought.......
    Can't say I disagree. Always like his talent.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?