Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Herrera...should he make the team?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Danny Herrera...should he make the team?

I vote yes. He has been virtually unhittable all spring. And it's not like he's lucking out here, he's making guys look absolutely foolish with his breaking stuff. I couldn't care less about how hard he throws or how short he is...I care about results. And Danny's bringing them. So far, he's faced 27 hitters and retired 26 of them including another 3 up 3 down tonight against the Yanks.

His off-speed stuff is the perfect foil to our assortment of hard throwers in the rotation and in the pen. He's not limited to only pitching one time in a series like someone suggested, just not more than once through the lineup in one night.

So if we keep him, who doesn't make the club? I'd say it's down to 3 people, Homer (so he can start full time in AAA), Bray (he's still got options and he's been pretty bad all spring), and Masset. Masset is without options which means he'd have to be put on waivers and there's very little chance he'll make it through those without being claimed. I'd like to have Masset because he can eat innings, but we've got other guys who are capable of doing that (Viola, Maloney, Thompson, Ramirez). He's been pretty hittable this spring and I don't want to hold onto a guy and push back another just because he's out of options. I think it's time to cut Nick loose and give Danny the shot he's MORE than earned.

What do YOU guys think? Does Danny stay, and who gets shown the door to make room for him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Danny Herrera...should he make the team?

Danny should make the club. He had a good year in Louisville last year, and has impressed in spring training. As to who shouldn't make the cut, it's Nick Masset. He hasn't done well this spring, and I think he could clear waivers without being claimed.

Danny up, Bray down. If it's based on performance, that should be obvious.

Is the choice between Herrera and Bray at this point? Sorry... I haven't been following the spring roster battles as closely as I should.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Herrera's had a good spring, but if Bray is fully heathly, the job's gotta be his after last year right?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Herrera's had a good spring, but if Bray is fully heathly, the job's gotta be his after last year right?
    I like that Herrera has been getting nearly everyone out. The only hesitation that I have is that Ricky Stone was doing the same thing at Louisville not that long ago with relatively the same stuff. He was lit up when he got to the bigs again. I really need to see Herrera pitch in person this year to get a good gauge.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I like that Herrera has been getting nearly everyone out. The only hesitation that I have is that Ricky Stone was doing the same thing at Louisville not that long ago with relatively the same stuff. He was lit up when he got to the bigs again. I really need to see Herrera pitch in person this year to get a good gauge.
    I saw him pitch last night against Minnesota. I had the same hesitations about maybe he's just getting by with smoke and mirrors but he has won me over.

He went right after hitters throwing strikes early in the count, which was the opposite of what Bill Bray did against the Sox earlier in the week. He also effectively mixed up location and speeds which is refreshing to see a Reds pitcher do successfully. He made Morneau and Young look like little leaguers up there with his big curve. It was flat nasty with great movement from what I saw down near first base. I can easily say, of the 4 games I went to this past week, he was throwing the best breaking pitch, movement wise, of anyone.

While he might get lit up as the season progresses and teams get a good look at him, I think he has absolutely won the second lefty position out of the pen by outperforming Bray this spring and really showing he belongs. I think Bray starts the year in AAA (assuming he has options, I think), and hopefully he gets completely in sync (losing time to the injury probably hasn't helped him) and at some point later in the season, whether because of performance or injury, he will get a shot.

Ricky Stone was a screw-ball throwing lefty?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Honestly, I don't think he should. There is only one spot open in the bullpen. Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Rhodes and Bray all have spots locked up.... and they should. It comes down to Masset.... and if he doesn't make the team, without hesitation I go with Bailey or Roenicke before I go to Herrera. I think Danny could actually succeed in the majors if he is used correctly. I don't have much faith that Dusty can figure out how to use him correctly.

Honestly, I don't think he should. There is only one spot open in the bullpen. Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Rhodes and Bray all have spots locked up.... and they should. It comes down to Masset.... and if he doesn't make the team, without hesitation I go with Bailey or Roenicke before I go to Herrera.
    Totally agree, Dougdirt. It is much easier to get hitters out, with his type of stuff, in the spring before everyone gets their timing. Much rather have Bailey, Roenicke, or Masset.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 03-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Bill Bray

Question for Bray supporters:

what exactly has he done that makes his roster spot a given?
    his WHIP of 1.57 last year was terrible.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Totally agree, Dougdirt. It is much easier to get hitters out, with his type of stuff, in the spring before everyone gets their timing. Much rather have Bailey, Roenicke, or Masset.
    I agree that it's easier to get hitters out in spring training, but he was doing the same thing all of the past 2 years too. Roenicke is another flamethrower who's our closer down the road, but unless Cordero struggles or gets injured...I'd rather keep him in Louisville (unless we got rid of some of the hurlers we DON'T need, like Weathers & Rhodes...Lincoln I'm warming to). A long man out of the pen would be nice, but we've simply got too many locked in middle relievers to afford that luxury. Especially with Dusty saying he prefers a 12 man pitching roster as opposed to a 13.

Re: Bill Bray

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Same thing Arroyo, Harang, and Cordero have done. Its only the spring. You have to take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

He strikes guys out and limits homers. He walks too many, but as a lefty who throws hard, he's somewhat a rare commodity. If the Reds want to move on, then he needs to be dealt. No sense in sending him down and further eroding his trade value in favor of a low ceiling guy like Herrera.

Herrera can be a decent change of pace guy to bring in after and/or before a hard thrower, but he's not going to be a bullpen mainstay and the Reds have more pressing needs for the 12th man on the staff role (like innings). In a pen structured differently, Herrera could be a good 12th man, but this team needs relief innings more than it needs a change of look guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Same thing Arroyo, Harang, and Cordero have done. Its only the spring. You have to take the numbers with a grain of salt.
    I think Will said "last year."

Turn Off Ads?