Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can you buy stock in MLB or the Reds?

Can you buy stock in MLB or the Reds?

This might be a dumb question, but I was just wondering if it is possible to buy stock in Major League Baseball or individual teams? And if so, what is the ticker symbol for MLB and/or the Reds? Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can you buy stock in MLB or the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but I was just wondering if it is possible to buy stock in Major League Baseball or individual teams? And if so, what is the ticker symbol for MLB and/or the Reds? Thanks.
    No.

Thanks Kal.

The Reds sold stock awhile back but weren't the shares like 5-6 million dollars apiece? In other words, it was a significant ownership stake.

IIRC when the Castellini group came in, there were a couple of partial shares available which they further divided into "microshares". The amount it took to get in was never released but I imagine it was still 6 figures.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    IIRC when the Castellini group came in, there were a couple of partial shares available which they further divided into "microshares". The amount it took to get in was never released but I imagine it was still 6 figures.
    That wasn't stock though right? More like an ownership stake?

It seems to me that it was possible to buy shares in MLB teams at one time---maybe 20-30 years ago. Baltimore comes to mind for some reason but I could be wrong.

In the early '70's I purchased stock in the Clevland Cavs. Owned the stock for about five years and then they went private. Got about $1.00/share (I had paid $5.00/ share) plus two tickets to a game in the cheap seats.

Rem

Couldn't you buy stock in the Boston Celtics? I don't mean instead of the Reds or any other MLB team but I thought I remembered that as a possibility maybe 10+ years ago and that they were the only major sports team to do that at that time.

The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States.
    Even that comes with a disclaimer...for the most part a share of Packer stock is a symbolic item. And the franchise is grandfathered in this regard...it is now illegal for an NFL team to be a public company.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Couldn't you buy stock in the Boston Celtics? I don't mean instead of the Reds or any other MLB team but I thought I remembered that as a possibility maybe 10+ years ago and that they were the only major sports team to do that at that time.
    I had a history teacher that owned a share of the Celtics.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Florida Panthers and Cleveland Indians both were publicly traded at one point, under the ticker symbols PAW and CLEV, respectively.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That wasn't stock though right? More like an ownership stake?
    I beleive that is correct.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The Florida Panthers and Cleveland Indians both were publicly traded at one point, under the ticker symbols PAW and CLEV, respectively.
    My grandparents bought me and all my cousins one share of stock in the Indians when we were younger. When they bought back I think we actually made a few bucks on it.

Turn Off Ads?