Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My first opening day!

My first opening day!

So I'll be going to my first opening day this year! Bought a pair of tickets off ebay so I can take my dad. I have never been and he hasn't been in years. So I was wondering if anyone had any tip or thoughts on a good game plan for the day. Obviously get there early and what not, but any other details would be excellent. Can't wait for the game!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My first opening day!

Start REAL early!! Park over the river at Willie's or Hooters and take the bus, boat or get a cab if you don't want to be on somebody else's schedule. Boat from Hooters can be a zoo, but it's not too bad a walk if you like exercise. If you want to take everything in you're gonna' walk alot anyway. Parking in Cincy is a joke, and most the hang outs are too small for an Opening day crowd (though some are pretty cool places). Game Day though, raises it's prices through the roof for OD, and service is non-existent.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Get excited. Its the best day in all of baseball IMO. Everyone's in first.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I suppose everyone has their traditions. Here is mine, this will be the third straight Opening Day me and my best Friend have attended together. We usually wake up around 7, go out for a nice breakfast, then head downtown and park in the lot between PBS and GABP. Then we settle down at a decent sports bar for a while and then watch the parade and when that is concluded head on over to GABP for the game. May sound a bit boring but thats how I do it.

Me and 2 buddies are leaving Columbus at 7 am.

Get to Cincinnati around 9 am. They want to drink (I can't due to medical reasons) so I'm thinking I'll take them to In Between Tavern; can't think of anywhere else right around the ballpark for the Opening Day atmosphere. Hoping they'll let me catch the parade as well..... what time is the parade?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

I used to love going to watch the angry guys. That won't be happening this year. Where will the radio stations be at this year?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

mole---Congrats, you will have a great time! There is nothing, and I mean nothing like Opening Day in Cincinnati. Next to my anniversary (have to say that for obvious reasons ), this is the day I look forward to most every year! Christmas, New Year's and even Thanksgiving dont even come close. Like gedred69 said---START EARLY! You definitely dont want to roll into Downtown at 12 noon. I will be coming down from Columbus and not that I'm trying to top Mr. JayBruce32; but I will be leaving at the lovely time of 6 AM. I usually park at Sawyer Point---but since this year my missus will be along--I may bite the bullet and park near the stadium itself. Also, gedred69 is right about GameDay, the prices have become steep and the breakfast lay out leaves a lot to be desired; but since my main man Mike McConnell and the Tracer will on hand, I will hang out there anyway.

At around 10:30 or so, we will head Downtown, probably to the area around Macy's or Fountain Square to take in the Findlay Market Parade. Yes, it may seem corny, especially to those who may feel they are "too cool for the room", but the Parade is a blast. You will see local celebs, former and even current (Bronson Arroyo) Reds, floats and marching bands---plus some chaos. This year remember the game starts at 1; so my game plan has us heading to the park at around 12 or 12:15.

Then if you are inclined, Bill Cunningham, P-Doc and Seg Dennison will be below the unsponsored Smoke Stacks or just take in the on field festivities. After that, hopefully a Reds win! For the full experience, maybe a little Reds Hall of Fame or Willies after the game. Enjoy, and trust me, after your first Opening Day you will make plans to get back next year as soon as you can...

Last year I went to the Mansion Hill Tavern in Newport, parked on the street for free and took the shuttle over for $1.50.

Used to go to the in Between till they started jacked the prices up.

My only consideration is cheap parking and cheap beer. I plan on going Rockin Robins on 7th street this year... because i know the owner and service should not be an issue.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Would love to hear about places on either side of the river for alternatives to Willie's and Hooters. They are both rather packed. Places I've heard about on the Ohio side are either not opening until 11:00am, or are rather small and thus packed shoulder to shoulder. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Would love to hear about places on either side of the river for alternatives to Willie's and Hooters. They are both rather packed. Places I've heard about on the Ohio side are either not opening until 11:00am, or are rather small and thus packed shoulder to shoulder. Suggestions?
    In between tavern

and

The Gameday Cafe opens at 5 am

Turn Off Ads?