Turn Off Ads?

Thread: False A1C Diabetes results?

False A1C Diabetes results?

For any of the medically inclined out there...is it possible to get a false A1C result? Last June I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. My score was 11.8 and my doctor told me that was coma-like numbers. The next morning I went on an immediate diet and started exercising. My next A1C 3 months later I had lost 25 pounds and my new score was under 6. My doctor told me he had only one other patient in 25 years that he could remember who's score how dropped that much. I was very happy to say the least.

However, this is what I am leading up to and I certainly am not complaining. I am just curious. Since around last Thanksgiving and ever since I fell off the food wagon. I have given up some foods and still walk a lot but the bottom line is I am a candy bar fiend. I just have no willpower. I have regained a lot of what I lost. The main issue is that even after all this even on nights where I know I have eaten a bunch of bad stuff my blood sugar tests are always fine?!?!?!My sugar is almost always between 110 to 130. THe highest it has ever registered was 176. Can there be false diabetic readings???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: False A1C Diabetes results?

Are you on any meds for your diabetes now? That could explain while your blood sugar is pretty good even though you haven't been eating as well.

Just found a site that will convert your A1C into average blood glucose readings. Helps relate the two numbers. http://www.obfocus.com/calculators/HemoglobinA1C.htm

I'm not taking any meds at all. They put me on Metformin and I took them for maybe 2 weeks at the very beginning. I had problems with nausea so I stopped taking them.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Your glucometer can be inaccurate. They sell a liquid that you can use to see how accurate it is reading. Also know that chocolate is very slow in hitting your system. If you are doing the readings soon after eating a chocolate, then you might be fooling yourself. This is the reason type I diabetics are told not to eat chocolate if they have a low blood sugar b/c it takes too long to take effect.

Now... to the real problem (which is not the glucometer). Decisions in life. Candy bars or a long-n-healthy life? Think about it. You are honest enough to admit to no willpower, but you must find that willpower to do the right things. It is unfortunate that your life has changed with this disease. But it is a disease that can be controlled (unlike cancer, luekemia, brain tumors, etc, etc). The real problem with diabetes is the long-term effects. Eat a candy bar and I don't feel too bad. Eat them all the time and later on in life it might cause an amputated leg or a deadly heart attack.

I have always said that I feel more for type IIs than type Is (juvenile). Type IIs get it later in life and have to make major changes in lifestyle. Easier said than done. Take it from a type I who has had this damn thing for most of his life (and is really the only life I have known)... you can do it. I never crave sweets. I crave a long-n-healthy life and having a chance to spend as much time with my kids (and hopefully grandkids some day) as I can. It is the only fair thing to do for the ones I love. You can do it.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

fwiw, I also had problems with nausea when I first started taking metformin, but after a few weeks the nausea went away.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I'm not taking any meds at all. They put me on Metformin and I took them for maybe 2 weeks at the very beginning. I had problems with nausea so I stopped taking them.
    I couldn't take that either. Too much nausea and quick runs to the bathroom for me. Avandaryl has helped me a lot.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I haven't taken any meds since probably the end of June- When I take my blood sugar its at least 2 hours after I eat like they told me and as stated b4 even on a day where I have eaten like a pig 2 hours later its 110-120. I gave up regular pop and a lot of breads so in that regard I do OK but if wasnt for the candy I'd probably be fine. For what its worth about 2 weeks b4 I took my original A1C test I went on a Mtn Dew binge so I am thinking that massively skewed my score in June. No regular pop since then.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Being a type 1 diabetic, I've had several A1C tests, and none of them have turned up with numbers that had me doubting the test.

Turn Off Ads?