Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 3/30/09 Reds vs Pirates

Re: 3/30/09 Reds vs Pirates

First off, thanks membengal (and OBM) for the pbp. I really enjoy reading your write-ups man. I really do. Please don't stop!

Chip, I understand what you're saying, but I really think that common sense should over-rule strict following of 'the rules' when it's harmless like this. I think it's a little over-the-top.

I can't follow every game (well, at least during ST), and I thouroughly enjoy membengal's pbp and the fact that, when you guys actually get around to 'authorizing' a game thread, he's the main pbp guy we have around here nowadays.

Bottom line, and I think I can say that I don't want a strict stenograph of the game...if I did, I'd just read the box-score/pbp on mlb.com or espn. Callipari leaving Memphis is probably a big deal around the Cincy area, so that's a rare, big-news kinda thing. I don't think something like that detracts from the game thread, when it's a rare-big news kinda thing.

Again, a lot of us read the game threads for flavor and things you just don't get by just seeing a box score. Lighten up a little here guys, seriously. This is supposed to be for enjoyment of us all. And while I am not a fan of either Memphis or UK, I don't mind a little bit here and there, esp. when it's big news like this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    First off, thanks membengal (and OBM) for the pbp. I really enjoy reading your write-ups man. I really do. Please don't stop!

Chip, I understand what you're saying, but I really think that common sense should over-rule strict following of 'the rules' when it's harmless like this. I think it's a little over-the-top.

I can't follow every game (well, at least during ST), and I thouroughly enjoy membengal's pbp and the fact that, when you guys actually get around to 'authorizing' a game thread, he's the main pbp guy we have around here nowadays.

Bottom line, and I think I can say that I don't want a strict stenograph of the game...if I did, I'd just read the box-score/pbp on mlb.com or espn. Callipari leaving Memphis is probably a big deal around the Cincy area, so that's a rare, big-news kinda thing. I don't think something like that detracts from the game thread, when it's a rare-big news kinda thing.

Again, a lot of us read the game threads for flavor and things you just don't get by just seeing a box score. Lighten up a little here guys, seriously. This is supposed to be for enjoyment of us all. And while I am not a fan of either Memphis or UK, I don't mind a little bit here and there, esp. when it's big news like this.

I understand what you are trying to say. membengal does a great job with the play by plays. But there's a difference in going off topic and staying off topic as this thread was starting to go towards. As I said, I don't think the people in the UK thread would like it if someone started posting about movies, for example. There's a thread for that too. If it would have been something like, "Calapari to UK. Details in the UK thread," and that if that would have been the end of it that
    would have been fine.

No one's saying you can't have fun here. No one's saying you have to have a strict play by play of the game either. You ask us to use a little common sense so I'm asking you guys to do the same. If you are going to talk about something other than the game and there is a thread about it, talk about it in the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Chip, I really am done. What common sense? I don't/didn't have time, at work, to have multiple windows open and go searching to see if it was being talked about somewhere else on the site. That's just silly. So, my bad, for talking out loud to myself (which is all I was doing for a good chunk of this thread) until, happily, someone engaged. Heaven forbid.

Your line is fine. I will adhere to it. I will just stay away from trying to do what I was doing w/ game updates. Popping in every now and then will have to be fine. ...
    Last edited by membengal; 03-30-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks for the pbp Membengal and OBM.

I think you guys do a fine job.

Wow. I really hate to see this.

I think Chip is an AWESOME moderator.

He really does do a great job.

I also absolutely love Mem's PBP... (not to mention that he is one of RZ's finest posters...)

I just hate that this situation is coming to this sort of disagreement.

It really seems like in a pre-season thread that any sort of participation should be encouraged... Hell, my first game thread posts of the spring were yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It really seems like in a pre-season thread that any sort of participation should be encouraged... Hell, my first game thread posts of the spring were yesterday...
    I have to agree with WMR here...while I understand the rule, I don't think that the spirit of the rule was being violated here, especially in a pre-season game.

Turn Off Ads?