Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

I will try to have a full report on here sometime tomorrow night but here is a recap of the show tonight.

Jeff Brantley was the host tonight. He started the show by talking about the game today. He said Viola and Roenicke were sent down and Keppinger was traded. He feels the Keppinger trade is a good deal for everyone. He said this is the time where everyone is trying to get ready for the regular season. That's why Gomes and Gonzo were playing with the minor league teams today. Plus if Gonzo has a setback between now and Opening Day, they can backdate his DL time to where he only has to sit a few games.

The first caller asked if the Reds were going to make a move at SS between now and O.D. Jeff said he didn't know.

They had some technical problems and missed a couple of calls and Jeff talked about the possibility that the Reds might trade some of their pitching for offense.

The next caller thought the newly released Gry Sheffield would be a great addition. Jeff likes Sheff but cautioned that when you add a new player he effects the team either positively or negatively. He is curious why DET would release a guy making $14M a year. If Jeff were in charge, he'd see if he is injured and if he isn't he'd bring him in.

The next caller wondered why guys like Frazier and Valaika don't get the opportunity that Janish will probably get. Jeff said they need to work on things defensively.

The next caller asked if the Reds were good enough to be world champions this year. Jeff said he thinks they will suffer from a lack of a key offensive part. He said the pitching's one of the best staffs in the game.

The next caller wanted to know about Bronson's injury. Jeff said he thinks he's got too many things on his plate. He said he tried to play guitar once and got a sore back from having to look down to see what chords he should be playing.

The next caller wanted to know if Harang was going to pitch in another game between now and Opening Day. Jeff said that's up to him. He said he probably will but isn't sure if it will be a regular game or a minor league one.

The next caller said that the offensive problems are overblown and Votto and Bruce could hit 60-70 HRs between them. Jeff said he may be right and while they haven't blown the doors off in ST offensively, that's only ST.

The next caller said he sees similarities between how the 70's A's built their team and how the Reds are doing it. Jeff likes the makeup of this team.

The next caller asked if Jeff played against Bo Jackson. Jeff said he did. The caller asked who had the best OF arm, Parker, Mondesi or Bo. Jeff said Winfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

An educated guess would say this was the last show of the year. So I would like to thank Chip for giving us a wrapup of this every week. It's very informative and entertaining at the same time. Thanks so much!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Yes, thank you Chip. The weekly read was very informative. The effort truly is appreciated.

High five!

The Cowboy is in mid-season form!

Well done, Chip. Let's get the resume polished up so you can host it next year!

yes. Thanks Chip indeed. One of the best services of redszone.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Thank you Chip!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

The next caller said he sees similarities between how the 70's A's built their team and how the Reds are doing it. Jeff likes the makeup of this team.
    Mmmmmm ok... I guess.. who's Reggie Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Mmmmmm ok... I guess.. who's Reggie Jackson?
    Adam Dunn.

it's the 1977 A's.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Adam Dunn.

it's the 1977 A's.
    I'm guessing then that Taveras is Rodney Scott?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'm guessing then that Taveras is Rodney Scott?
    No, Taveras is Herb Washington.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    No, Taveras is Herb Washington.
    I wouldn't disparage him that much, he's Rodney Scott at best. Herb Washington was sideshow, a joke, a pawn.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I wouldn't disparage him that much, he's Rodney Scott at best. Herb Washington was sideshow, a joke, a pawn.
    Point taken, and I should have used a little smilie guy. He might even be Billy North-like.
    sorry we're boring

The last Hot Stove League show of the year is always exciting for the fact that Opening Day is just around the corner!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 3-31-09. Jeff Brantley was the host and started by talking about the game the Reds lost to the Yankees. Jeff said it was a sloppy game and there were 7 total errors in the game due to windy conditions. Mica Owings gave up 4 runs and only one was earned. Even Big Dust was tossed. Jeff said Pedro Viola was reassigned to minor league camp and Josh Roenicke was optioned to AAA. Jeff butchered the explanation of the difference between reassignment to minor league camp and being optioned. Jeff talked about the trade of Jeff Keppinger to HOU for a PTBNL. He said he felt a lot of it had to do with Kepp’s lack of hitting during the spring (and after he came back from his injury) and the play of Rosales and Janish. Jeff said there was a place for him in HOU but the Reds felt it was the best for the Reds in the future and payroll wise (Big deal, a $100K difference.) Jeff said EE played in the game today and didn’t have any problems with his shoulder. Gonzo played 7 innings in a minor league game too. Jeff said Gomes hit 3 Hrs in the games he played ion and one of the Hrs ended up on the field of Ed Smith Stadium during the big league game. It was wind aided but a shot nonetheless.

Jeff said this time of the year, everyone has to get themselves ready for the regular season. Jeff said this is the time when the roster takes shape. He said these are the toughest days for the players, coaches and the front office to make the last few cuts. Jeff said that Gonzo and Gomes played in minor league games because it lets Gomes relax a bit and not press (Translation, they don’t want him to strike out so much). As for Gonzo, it lets them backdate a potential DL date if needed.

After commercial, the first caller asked if the Reds were going to make a deal for a SS before Opening Day. He thinks Gonzo’s health is a huge concern and the Reds can’t make a run at the wild card with Hairston , Janish, et. al. Jeff said he doesn’t think they will do anything now. They have already invested in Gonzo and will probably live or die with him. He said that he’s heard all kinds of rumors. He used the Yankees as an example where they had Cabrera, Swisher and Nady all playing and are possible trade bait.

They had some technical problems with the next couple of callers and Jeff just started talking about a potential trade with someone. He said everyone wants pitching and the Reds have pitching. He wonders if it’s wise to trade their future for someone who may or may not help them now. He said a lot of people think the Reds are a year away and they may need someone to take the pressure off in the lineup. He said he’d put this whole pitching staff against any other staff in the majors. He said just about anyone in the bullpen can close.

The next caller believes that Gary Sheffield could be the answer to the Reds LF problems since he got released by DET today. Jeff said he always liked him. He said he’s older and not as skilled anymore. He’d have to do a lot of research to see if he’s injured or a problem if he was going to bring him in. He said any player you bring in could have a positive or a negative effect on the young players. He thinks a healthy Sheff is as good as they come but he has to be healthy.

After commercial, the next caller wondered why Frazier and Valaika aren’t getting the opportunity that Rosales and Janish are since they can hit better. Jeff said that Frazier and Valaika need to work on their defense but they should be big league players in the future and they should tear AA up.

The next caller asked if the Reds are good enough to be world champs this year. Jeff said that this team is missing an offensive part. He said you can win with just pitching and defense but you don’t know if the pitchers will be able to handle a playoff atmosphere. Jeff said they have to score runs to win. The caller asked if Harang was healthy.. Jeff said he thinks he is and his problems last year were mechanical ones.

After commercial, the next caller wanted to know about Brinson’s carpal Tunnel injury. Jeff said the biggest issue with Bronson is all the things he tries to do. He said that he used to play guitar too and he’d wind up with a sore back from having to look down at the strings all the time. Jeff said that Brinson’s going to try to back away from this a bit.

The next caller asked when Harang was pitching next. Jeff said that they want to get him ready for Opening Day and they will leave it up to him when and where to pitch.

The next caller said that he thinks the lack of offense may be overblown. He thinks Votto and Bruce will be able to hit at least 60 Hrs between them and Phillips and EE will be able to hit at least 50 between them. Plus there’s Hernandez and he should hit 20 in GAB. He thinks the rest of the players could hit about 20 between them. Jeff felt the caller mad a great point and that may be the Reds plan. Jeff said that the WBC has spread the team around and in order for everyone to get on the same page that they have to get a chance to get together and get used to each other and they should be given the chance to do that. He also said that they haven‘t exactly been hitting the ball around a lot but it‘s only ST.

The next caller said he grew up in the Bay Area and he watched the A’s build their team up from the worst team in baseball to winning world series after world series. (Must be talking about the 70s A’s since the 80s-90s version only won 1 of 3) He said they started with pitching and let the young players play and develop. He said that’s what he sees with the Reds. Jeff agreed and believes that pitching, defense and having strength up the middle will make a club go a long way. He thinks the Reds will be pitching strong for years. He said that there is a lot of depth that can be used to trade for other pieces and replace the ones who were traded.

The next caller asked if Jeff ever saw Bo Jackson play in person. Jeff said he played against him. The caller asked who had the best arm between Raul Mondesi, Dave Parker and Bo. Jeff said Dave Winfield. (Not a choice, Jeff, but thanks for playing.)

Thus endeth the Reds Hot stove League show report for 3-31-09. This is the last show of the off season and I want to thank everyone for reading my reports and for all the kind words about them. I do it for you guys. So, until November, so let it be written. So let it be done.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

After commercial, the next caller wanted to know about Brinson’s carpal Tunnel injury. Jeff said the biggest issue with Bronson is all the things he tries to do. He said that he used to play guitar too and he’d wind up with a sore back from having to look down at the strings all the time. Jeff said that Brinson’s going to try to back away from this a bit.
    This has always been my biggest problem with Bronson.I have always thought that he cared more about playing music than playing ball.I understand that he has a right to play music when ever he wants BUT when its baseball season I think he should only think about one thing and that is pitching.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?