Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Angels interested in Reds pitching?

Re: Angels interested in Reds pitching?

I sure hope the Dyes/Matthews of the world are not involved.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

The likelihood of a contract of any size coming back in a trade is utterly nil.

Teams are in complete financial lockdown.

I sure hope the Dyes/Matthews of the world are not involved.
    $$$ is never far from dealmaking table. Do not be surprised if the salaries exchanged have to balance out, more or less. The thing about Matthews coming back is that the Angels may be willing to kick in more talent than they otherwise would. So long as Dusty could keep him quiet as a 4th OF -- not a given -- I think it could be OK.

Big risk for the Reds to give up a starter, though.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Agreed, FCB, but IF angels committed to paying 95% of it, that is the scenario that would concern me about Matthews coming back. He's at a point in his career where he would be blocking prospects.

lollipop, Matthews left camp in an upset manner after learning he was to be OFer five in Anaheim this year, I would above all else, worry about him being discontent here in that kind of role.

The benefit to trading Arroyo is freeing up salary. If we were swapping salaries, I'd rather have Arroyo.

lollipop, Matthews left camp in an upset manner after learning he was to be OFer five in Anaheim this year, I would above all else, worry about him being discontent here in that kind of role.
    I know. This is what would strongly motivate the Angels to move him. If they were so motivated as to be willing to kick in good talent for the Reds' trouble, the team should consider it.

The benefit to trading Arroyo is freeing up salary. If we were swapping salaries, I'd rather have Arroyo.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think we'd all be disappointed if the team were eager to dump a 200-inning guy for a modest return.

People have to remember that the trade market is tough, and rarely do teams take on big $$$ and give up equal talent at the same time.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

lollipop, I HATE matthews' game. Add in that he is making $11 million per for the next three years, as he moves through his 30s, and it is beyond crazy to me that any team would contemplate taking him on, much less a team like the Reds who have OF help coming in the pipeline for much cheaper.

Is it me, or on an overall level Arroyo's contract isn't that unreasonable. Without even looking at his stats the past 4 years...I figure he is as sure a lock to give you 200 IP and a 4.50 ERA as anyone...not outstanding, but solid. Thats pretty valuable if you ask me...especially to the right team.

I'd keep him though FWIW...unless the dynamic duo of Bailey/Owings takes off, at which point of course someone's gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Peter might have been a little quick on the shorthand - my guess is that he was looking for Arizona Cactus league teams.

BTW - if DelCarmen is being looked at, why not Weathers?
    Guess the "oops" was on me. Thanks for translating.
    Last edited by blumj; 03-30-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

lollipop, I HATE matthews' game. Add in that he is making $11 million per for the next three years, as he moves through his 30s, and it is beyond crazy to me that any team would contemplate taking him on, much less a team like the Reds who have OF help coming in the pipeline for much cheaper.
    That's fine. But your hating Matthews' game has no bearing on anything. I am simply pointing out that $$$ are a huge consideration in the trademaking game, and it so happens that Matthews' contract is a very good match for Arroyo's or Harang's. That's just a fact, and you should not be surprised if the only way the Angels give the Reds excellent talent in exchange for an expensive pitcher is if the Reds take Matthews back. As these negotiations go, the Angels might say they'd be willing to eat a certain amount of Matthews' contract, throwing in less talent in exchange.

Remember, too, that the Reds still appear to be looking for a LH bat off the bench. There are a lot of pieces that fit here. I'm not saying what I want to happen, just reading the tea leaves.

But that's the thing, it IS NOT equal, because Arroyo's contract has value, even at those dollars, while Matthews' does not.

But that's the thing, it IS NOT equal, because Arroyo's contract has value, even at those dollars, while Matthews' does not.
    I'm not suggesting the trade would be Arroyo for Matthews. It would something like Arroyo/Harang for a SS (Aybar) plus Matthews plus maybe more.

I understand, I just don't think that whatever the Angels would add as a sweetener to take on the contract would be enough to take away the taste of the contract.

I understand, I just don't think that whatever the Angels would add as a sweetener to take on the contract would be enough to take away the taste of the contract.
    There's the rub -- what would they be willing to sacrifice? One of their top 2 young arms -- Adenhart or Waldon? If so, you've got a young SS, a young arm that might be able to replace Arroyo before long, and Matthews, a financial obligation that's no different than the one that came with Arroyo. Doesn't sound godawful unacceptable to me, if, as I said earlier, Baker can keep Matthews quiet in a 4th OF role. He switch hits and plays decent defense -- a nice asset, if overpaid, off the bench. The rest of the team's going to be cheap anyway....

Turn Off Ads?