Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Angels interested in Reds pitching?

Re: Angels interested in Reds pitching?

Ken Rosenthal reports The Angels tried to interest the Reds in Matthews...
    The Angels recently tried to sell the Reds on outfielder Gary Matthews Jr., but the talks failed to progress, according to major-league sources.

The Reds need a right-handed bat, and Matthews is a switch-hitter. But the Reds, one source said, wanted a starting pitcher back if they were going to include a veteran starter such as right-hander Aaron Harang or Bronson Arroyo in the deal. The impetus for the trade was "one-sided," another source said, saying the Angels were far more eager than the Reds to pursue further discussions.

The contracts actually match up well — Matthews is owed $33 million over the next three seasons, while Harang will earn $36.20 million and Arroyo $31.5 million over that period, respectively, including club options for 2011.

The Reds, however, have little interest in compromising their rotation depth to obtain Matthews. They are committed to Willy Taveras in center for the next two seasons and comfortable with Chris Dickerson getting most of the at-bats in left.

The Yankees and White Sox, two other clubs that represent a potential fit for Matthews, are instead going with younger players in center.

The Mariners possibly could obtain Matthews for one of their expensive starting pitchers — Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn or Miguel Batista — but there is no indication that such talks have taken place.

"We haven't had much discussions with respect to trades and trade possibilities," Angels general manager Tony Reagins told FOXSports.com on Monday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is good, me thinks

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I ask for Sean Rodriguez for Arroyo...Brandon Wood would be my second choice, but really this is where you depend on your scouts. Both guys can play SS and both may hit ML pitching. Rodriguez has demonstrated more ability to hit, but I think Wood is a better fielder. If my scouts tell me Rodriguez is a plus defender, I hold out for him....he could be something really special. On the other hand, Wood has always been a great prospect but has never 'gotten it' at the ML level...it looks like this may be his year. If he's going to finally realize all that potential, it would be nice to snap him up. In scouts we trust.

Really, IMHO a young, hungry SS who can really field the position is all this team needs to complete its chemistry. Sure a left fielder with a big bat would be great right now, but we've got a ton of options coming up in our system there. A Shortstop who can pick it would be the lynchpin to a lot of good years to come.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    This is good, me thinks
    Really, I think that says it all Wally. As I look at this a little closer, I really don't think the Reds can lose here. The Angels are about the best place on the planet to find Major League ready talent that might be available in a trade. They've got middle infielders, outfielders, and catchers...maybe we could ask for one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB.com article:
    So it goes on Team Scioscia, a roster deep enough in talented athletes to fill a Summer Olympics team.

"We've got a lot of guys who can play the game," Scioscia said. "That's what you are always trying to create in an organization. Our scouts and player development people have done a great job."

If you're in the thick of that talent logjam, a Major League talent who could find yourself in the Minors, it's minimal consolation knowing you are highly regarded and valued.
    Full article

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Yep. The Angels are loaded---except they have a problem in the near term with pitching.

Is Walt clever enough to take advantage of that? It will be interesting to see if he does. (Maybe if Brandon stops playing the guitar )

Rem

I'd prefer Aybar. He's a real SS defensively with some offensive potential and has what is lacking in the organization. Wood and Rodriguez are already here with the names Frazier and Valaika on their backs.

Of course for Arroyo, I'd want something else as well - maybe Reggie Willits.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd love to have Reggie Willits in LF, Dickerson in CF and Williy T in someplace other than Cincinnati.

Rem

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I'd love to have Reggie Willits in LF, Dickerson in CF and Williy T in someplace other than Cincinnati.

Rem

Except we're stuck with Willy Taveras for 2 years. It's gonna be a magical 1200 ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Except we're stuck with Willy Taveras for 2 years. It's gonna be a magical 1200 ABs.
    At my age, I simply hope to survive it.

Rem

I'd much rather be stuck with Taveras than Matthews Jr.

Full agreement, if those are my choices, Willy T, in a landslide.

I bet Arroyo and Harang would love pitching out there. Arroyo would have a little spotlight and Harang would be closer to San Diego.

I would not trade Harang unless I was getting Adenhart and something else good back. Arroyo is another story, but I certainly would not trade him for Matthews Jr.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

It's not all bad. The Reds' "commitment" to Taveras stopped talks about Gary Matthews. Look on the bright side
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's not all bad. The Reds' "commitment" to Taveras stopped talks about Gary Matthews. Look on the bright side

That is definitely a positive way of looking at the Corey Tavaras signing. Say no to the Private.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

There's no reason for the Reds to trade either of their 200-inning pitchers for an equally expensive, generally mediocre outfielder. Good non-move there.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?