Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo hurting?

Bronson Arroyo hurting?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...83681588_x.htm
    By Joe Kay, AP Sports Writer
    SARASOTA, Fla. No guitar strumming for Bronson Arroyo these days. No autograph signing, either. Pitching? He's still doing that, but the results weren't good the last couple times out.

His right hand has become a worry.

The Cincinnati Reds' musically inclined pitcher is having a flare-up of the carpal tunnel syndrome that has bothered him from time to time over the last few years. This bout is especially nasty, along with the timing. The season starts in less than one week.

"I don't know what it's from, man," Arroyo said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I can't write. I can't do anything with my pointer finger and thumb without it being irritated. I had it back in '04 in the playoffs (with Boston) pitching against the Yankees. I've had it for years."

So far, Arroyo has been able to overcome the problem, which bothers him much more when he holds a pen or a guitar pick. It returned last May and gave him problems for about three months. Arroyo finished 15-11 with a 4.77 ERA last season, when he was the only Reds pitcher who didn't miss a start. He led the staff with 200 innings.

The right-hander can pitch with the problem. He'd rather not have to try.

Arroyo hasn't done very well in his last two starts during spring training. He gave up 11 hits in five innings of a game against minor leaguers on March 24, and was pounded for 14 hits and 10 runs -- three earned -- in only 4 2-3 innings against Tampa Bay on Sunday.

The Rays took advantage of his inability to throw a breaking ball, something he passed off as just a bad day. There's more to it, though.

Asked if the carpal tunnel bothers his hand when he's pitching, Arroyo said, "Yeah. It's almost like taking a 220 (volt) line of electricity and pinching it off and you're only getting about two-thirds of it. You feel like you don't have much power, and you don't have much command. So I've got about another week to try to get it out of there. We'll see."

The problem has forced him to make changes in his lifestyle.

Arroyo said it's so difficult to squeeze a pen that he's having teammates pay his bills for him. He has to turn down all autograph requests from fans at games -- writing his name on a baseball or a piece of paper is too bothersome.

"I've been having guys write stuff for me," he said. "They're paying my bills. I can't write."

The biggest change involves his second love. Arroyo rarely goes a day without playing his guitar. He does numerous concerts in the offseason, playing lead guitar and singing in a band. On road trips, there's usually a melody coming from his room.

Not lately. Holding a pick between his thumb and index finger aggravates the problem. For now, the music is on hold, something that is starting to exasperate him.

"I can't play at all," he said, dropping his head and his tone of voice. "That's it. It drives me crazy."

Besides putting the guitar away and letting someone else pay his bills, Arroyo has been wearing a brace when he's away from the field as a reminder to take it easy with the hand. He's taking anti-inflammatory drugs as well, hoping that makes the problem subside.

Most likely, he's just going to have to deal with the problem, which causes more weakness than pain.

"Nothing seemed to help last year except a little bit of rest," he said. "I'm not going to miss any starts. I've got four days in-between them each time.

"I'm trying to get it out of there. It's a weird feeling."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Bronson Arroyo hurting?

Being someone with carpal tunnel myself, there is a surprisingly simple solution to it in many cases. Wearing a wrist brace (like for someone who's sprained their wrist) to bed and whenever it's not in the way during the day (like driving and such). It's amazing how quickly putting on the brace stops the pain and allows you full use of your fingers again. Also taking an Ibuprofren everyday. It reduces inflamation and that's one of the big things that causes the pain. My wife & mother-in-law are both long-time nurses and they (and the numerous doctors they know) have said that a large majority of people who do these simple things will never end up needing surgury.

Hopefully someone will mention this stuff to Bronson and he won't automatically jump towards a surgury that might not be needed.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

One of my co-workers had this problem. She tried everything and then she finally tried accupuncture. It's never recurred.

Rem

I'm having this problem now...ranging from intense pain to numbness in my fingers.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Haunted by walks

I was going to suggest he take up the theremin.

"The right-hander can pitch with the problem."

Oh great. Another pitcher who will hurt the team, by proving he can pitch even while less than 100%.

Go on the DL until it's fixed.

Put the guitar down, Bronson.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yep.

He needs to see my acupuncturist and osteopath in NYC. I wish I could hip him to this connection. Seriously. My osteopath has treated the likes of Joe Montana and handles ALL the NYC ballet people (dancers really know about pain). Bronson would be on the fast lane to recovery if he could see these guys.
    Last edited by wally post; 03-30-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    LOL!! That's about the truth. Eventually he'll get with it.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    LOL!! That's about the truth. Eventually he'll get with it.
    But will it be because of baseball or will he figure out he can't sing?

i have carpel tunnel...and arthritis and tendinitis in my hands. the only thing that helps all three is acupuncture, but i haven't been able to afford it for awhile now.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Truth

Rem

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Is this just a setup story for DLing Bronson and keeping Owings AND Bailey with the big club? Just long enough for a little Major League tryout, maybe.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good question. Arroyo usually has an excuse. He hasn't worked with this catcher, he doesn't like day games, he's being asked to cut back on his music. Now his finger hurts. Not saying that it doesn't hurt I just have to laugh a little. Arroyo needs a 1 on 1 with Mr. Baker. Then again, I am not sure that will help with the loose ship Dusty has been running. Guess we will see.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?