Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds looking at Jenkins and Sheffield (Tigers Release Sheffield)

Reds looking at Jenkins and Sheffield (Tigers Release Sheffield)

per mlbtraderumours:

"Tigers Release Gary Sheffield
    By Tim Dierkes [March 31 at 9:15am CST]
    9:15am: More from Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press. He says this isn't even a club record - the Tigers ate $14.3MM on Damion Easley back in '03. Morosi says Sheffield said "it ain't close" to the end of his career, and he has a preference for the Rays.

MLB.com's Todd Zolecki wonders whether the Phillies could be a fit for Sheffield.

8:41am: According to Tom Gage of the Detroit News, the Tigers released DH Gary Sheffield. They'll eat the $14MM owed to him for '09. It's quite surprising to see the team assume all that money to make him go away, especially since he's healthy right now. Plus he's just one home run shy of 500 for his career."

I dont see the Reds taking a chance even for the minimum!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tigers Release Gary Sheffield

He's still a good hitter, but at this point he can't stay healthy and doesn't really have a position to play. He needs to DH in the AL if he is going to continue his career...

499 career HR. Is it overly mean spirited to hope he finishes with 499?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

High five!

Hey, when you guys eat $14MM, do you put a sauce on it or have it "neat?"

Fox Sports speculates that the Reds may pursue him if they think he can play the filed but indicate the Reds have not discussed him.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...pped-by-Tigers
    The Reds, seeking a right-handed bat, are one team that could look at Sheffield — if their scouts and executives believed that he still could play the field. Reds G.M. Walt Jocketty, however, told the Cincinnati Enquirer that the team has not discussed Sheffield.

Sheffield could make sense for the Reds as a $400,000 gamble, one rival general manager said. If he proved incapable of filling a role, the team could always release him.

Sheffield could make sense for the Reds as a $400,000 gamble, one rival general manager said. If he proved incapable of filling a role, the team could always release him.
    That would make some sense. But Sheffield would be a problem in the clubhouse if he wasn't playing, so they would need to be mentally prepared to either play him or cut him.

If he was available last December for $400K, I think the Reds would have snapped him up. Now, I'm not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

It would be so nice to have a solid experienced bat in left field, but would we get that with Sheffield? Detroit released him for a reason. They either believe he won't be out there everyday or he is too much of a problem in the clubhouse. I believe it's both.

I think the Reds should approach Sheffield and talk to him.

If Sheffield is willing to come on board, with no guarantee of starting, I say take him on.

Be up front with Sheff that defense is a concern (if it really is, I haven't seen him play in a while). Is his defense any worse than we've had in LF last year by our former LF? Or worse than Jr last year?

I know Walt wants to reemphasize defense, but this team is going to be starved for offense.

Historically, Sheff seems to cause less trouble in year 1 with his new team. That seems to be the pattern.. After 2-3 years, he becomes a malcontent.

For 400k, why not? We should have that much money free from trading Keppinger.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I doubt he would willingly come to a team that is not offering full time play.
    But then I wonder if a team (Reds?) would(could be willing to) offer it - and put him out there daily. If he doesn't work out, he can be released again. Do you think this would be improper? We need a bopper and he can h i t.

Who out there can really offer him a fulltime gig? Nobody jumps out to me.

If he'd be accepting of a part time role, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in BG View Post
    It would be so nice to have a solid experienced bat in left field, but would we get that with Sheffield? Detroit released him for a reason. They either believe he won't be out there everyday or he is too much of a problem in the clubhouse. I believe it's both.

I doubt it's the latter. If Leyland could handle Bonds, he could handle Sheffield.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I can't imagine there is any way the Tigers release Sheff unless they really believe he is shot (as far as productive fairly regular dservice goes anyway). They really don't have a fulltime DH in the plans - Guillen will be there a lot now I imagine - so he wasn't really being crowded out.

Admittedly his bat as we all remember it to be looks interesting in the lineup. It is just one of those fits that I cannot seem to imagine no matter how many times I think about it. I admit his personality is definitely driving me away as well. I'd rather my veteran presence corner OF bat be more of a stabilizing influence than what he appears to be.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I'm hoping Sheffield stays true to himself and becomes the first cut player in history to demand a raise.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I doubt he would willingly come to a team that is not offering full time play.

I agree with this. Sheff has always valued money. He's going to want some kind of payday to sign with another team.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?