Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Angels trying to dump Matthews Jr. on Reds

Angels trying to dump Matthews Jr. on Reds

per Ken Rosenthal

The Angels recently tried to sell the Reds on outfielder Gary Matthews Jr., but the talks failed to progress, according to major-league sources.

The Reds need a right-handed bat, and Matthews is a switch-hitter. But the Reds, one source said, wanted a starting pitcher back if they were going to include a veteran starter such as right-hander Aaron Harang or Bronson Arroyo in the deal.

The impetus for the trade was "one-sided," another source said, saying the Angels were far more eager than the Reds to pursue further discussions.

The contracts actually match up well — Matthews is owed $33 million over the next three seasons, while Harang will earn $36.20 million and Arroyo $31.5 million over that period, respectively, including club options for 2011.

The Reds, however, have little interest in compromising their rotation depth to obtain Matthews. They are committed to Willy Taveras in center for the next two seasons and comfortable with Chris Dickerson getting most of the at-bats in left.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Angels trying to dump Matthews Jr. on Reds

Good for the reds holding pat on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    Good for the reds holding pat on this one.
    Agreed, while not the best pitching rotation in the NL, the Reds are certainly above average and that has obviously taken some time to do.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Good luck to the Angels in finding a team that will take on that contract.

I would MUCH rather pay Harang's 35 mil than Matthews 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    The contracts actually match up well — Matthews is owed $33 million over the next three seasons, while Harang will earn $36.20 million and Arroyo $31.5 million over that period, respectively, including club options for 2011.
    I should've caught this before. That isn't 100% accurate. This is the contract status of our two pitchers:

Harang
    09:$11M, 10:$12.5M, 11:$12.75M ($2M buyout)

Arroyo
    09:$9.5M, 10:$11M, 11:$11M club option ($2M buyout)

So while Harang and Arroyo may earn $36.25m and $31.25m respectively $25.5m and $22.5m is actually committed to them.

Losing either pitcher for Matthews would be a tragedy. As noted, you need those two guys to anchor a young staff. Matthews doesn't really solve any problems for the Reds anyway. Glad Walt wasn't seriously considering this.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

The REDS have absolutely no need for a Gary Matthews, Jr., currently the Angels 5th Outfielder.

Gary Matthew's agent is a GENIUS for keep his mediocre client that kind of coin in the first place.

got alil captain in u?

I'll pass on Sarge Jr. Contract is way to high and we have no room for him in the outfield.

Old Red Guard Reject

I really don't see the interest in Matthews, even if they ate most of his contract, much less trading something of value. He just came off knee surgery and his offensive numbers are sub par. I would imagine Chris Dickerson in a bad year is better than Matthews and certainly less expensive.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Do they think Castellini or Jocketty are really that stupid? It's mind boggling that they would even make an offer like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Do they think Castellini or Jocketty are really that stupid? It's mind boggling that they would even make an offer like that.....
    Its an absolute insult. It pains me that Harang and Matthews are even mentioned in the same sentence. If I was Walt, I would tell the Angels that we can talk about a trade for Harang, but if you even mutter the name Gary Matthews, Jr. I'm gonna hang up the phone.

No team in baseball would want any part of Gary Matthews Jr, or that insane contract.

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    I would MUCH rather pay Harang's 35 mil than Matthews 35.
    I agree with you on this. Say no to Matthews.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Turn Off Ads?