Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's all the runs?

Where's all the runs?

The Reds have been absolutely terrible at the plate this spring. Ranking last among NL clubs in OBP and in the bottom 3-5 in Runs, AVG, SLG, RBI, and Walks while ranking 2nd in K's. This team hasn't hit and the "speed" factor hasn't resulted in runs crossing the plate. The outfield defense has improved, while the INF is still a question mark as long as Gonzo is hurt and EE is at 3rd. If the young arms fail to have big years to go along with a bounce back from Harang, this team is in jeopardy of being at the bottom of the NL.

Forgive me for not being real excited about this lineup. I know spring stats don't always mean anything, but the teams expected to be good have hit this spring. I don't think that its a coincidence.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where's all the runs?

I think that this season is a lot like some of the loosing years we have had in the past.The one difference is that our only hope this year is that our pitching is so good that we still win despite our offense while in other years it was the other way around.

The one good thing that I can say about that is that if we can hang around close until the trade deadline something can be done.IMO it is much easier to improve a teams offense with a quick fix then it is to improve bad pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    The Reds have been absolutely terrible at the plate this spring. Ranking last among NL clubs in OBP and in the bottom 3-5 in Runs, AVG, SLG, RBI, and Walks while ranking 2nd in K's. This team hasn't hit and the "speed" factor hasn't resulted in runs crossing the plate. The outfield defense has improved, while the INF is still a question mark as long as Gonzo is hurt and EE is at 3rd. If the young arms fail to have big years to go along with a bounce back from Harang, this team is in jeopardy of being at the bottom of the NL.

Forgive me for not being real excited about this lineup. I know spring stats don't always mean anything, but the teams expected to be good have hit this spring. I don't think that its a coincidence.
    The writing was and is on the wall for our lineup. Unless an OPS reversal of fortune for many players happens and the younger players really step up, we will not score enough to win more than 75 games. Could even be worse, if the wheels come off.

BTW, will someone tell our "D" that its much improved? We are in the bottom 10 for MLB in errors and fielding % for ST. Now, a lot of that is Hairston and Kepp (gone now) at SS (please heal AGon!), but Dickerson is struggling a little, too. Today, in the loss to the Evil Empire, we handed out 4 runs on 4 errors in a 6 - 3 loss. This new defense is supposed to give our pitching increased support. Without it, we're up a creek.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Yep. Where are the runs? Who's gonna' deliver in the clutch? Young guys are expected to step up, but are they ready?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

For the asking price Dunn should have been brought back 10 times over
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    For the asking price Dunn should have been brought back 10 times over
    BLASPHEMER!!!!

Geez, don't you know Willy Tavares is going to steal 100 bases!!
    (actually, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll get 100 hits!)

This FO has no freakin' clue - for like, EVER, we were pitching starved, so when we Finally get some pitching, we ship out all of our offense in the name of "Speed and Defense", like 1980's small ball is back in affect... not to mention the HUGE hole we have at SS.

I seriously can't believe our Plan B at SS if Agon wasn't going to be trotted out there was Jerry F. Hairston coming off a career (1/2) year... and Keppinger. RE-DIC-ULOUS!!

From the looks of it, our Defense is NO better and our offense is even worse than last year - which was already like 27th out of 32 teams in just about every offensive category - after shipping out the only legit .900 OPS bat on our team.

Where did we upgrade again? I say at Catcher, and that's it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I say the team upgraded at SP just with the added experience for Volquez, Cueto and a healthy Owings/refocused Bailey.

You don't upgrade with guys that were already here and in the rotation. Owings is an upgrade at the 5th starter spot, but at what cost? Could they have gotten similar production from Homer? Is Owings in the 5 spot more important than having a Dunn like bat in the 5 spot?

You don't upgrade with guys that were already here and in the rotation. Owings is an upgrade at the 5th starter spot, but at what cost? Could they have gotten similar production from Homer? Is Owings in the 5 spot more important than having a Dunn like bat in the 5 spot?

Sure you do. As players progress and improve, the team receives an upgrade over the previous year at that position. If the 1-5 starting slots in the rotation wins more games and give up fewer runs than last year, how is that not an upgrade?

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Sure you do. As players progress and improve, the team receives an upgrade over the previous year at that position. If the 1-5 starting slots in the rotation wins more games and give up fewer runs than last year, how is that not an upgrade?
    You don't grade a pitcher by his wins.
    ERA and "wins" definitely have a pitching-independent variable - namely offense and defense.

Also, it's foolish to assume everybody gets better every year and Nobody regresses - look at Harang last year. There's too much variance to "upgrade" with the same talent.

Volquez is unlikely to get better than last year when he took a HUGE step forward; a small step back is more likely.
    Cueto should improve a bit, but he may not take a HUGE step for a year or two, or three...
    I would say the 5 spot is improved, but we've been saying that for 2-3 years now. And, as Nasty Boy says, at what cost? Dunn and his guaranteed .900 OPS in LF? IFF we had Upgraded anywhere else in the OF then yeah, but we all know that story.

Other than SP, the only guys you can hope to improve upon last year are Bruce, only because he's so young and has obvious talent and potential. EE and BP have as much chance to continue their regress as opposed to improve. Votto is a wildcard, he may be at or near his ceiling now, you have to hope he doesn't regress. Catcher I feel is an upgrade. SS has the potential to be worse, and looking more and more like we'll need a miracle to improve it with AGON's recovery taking a step back.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Well, I think Harang, Volquez and Cueto will all improve on last year, and I also believe the #5 spot will be better than last season. That is an upgrade. JMHO

OK, I pulled the pic. I don't want to hear Dunn's name again!
    Last edited by BigJohn; 04-03-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: objectional picture, trying to be funny!

And this thread gets locked in 3....2.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    And this thread gets locked in 3....2.....
    John removed his pic (thank you) so the thread can stay open. Everyone just remain respectful of others and you'll be fine.

Well, I think most of RedsZone is a bit disappointed today since they can't blame the loss on hitting.

Turn Off Ads?