Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer to AAA? the pen?? Arroyo to the Angels???

Homer to AAA? the pen?? Arroyo to the Angels???

How about this: Arroyo goes to the DL for 2 weeks while his carpal tunnel syndrome calms down. Both Homer & Owings start the season in the rotation. We then get two looks at them in real games against 100% major league hitters. Then I think the decision on who the odd man out in the rotation is becomes a bit easier.

There has been some speculation here (its been a long spring training) about the Reds dealing pitching for a hitter (OF/SS). Arroyo seems the main guy people would deal in the right trade. I for one would feel a LOT better about something like this if I had some evidence that Owing's & Homer's recent strong pitching was not just a spring training mirage.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer to AAA? the pen?? Arroyo to the Angels???

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

How about this: Arroyo goes to the DL for 2 weeks while his carpal tunnel syndrome calms down. Both Homer & Owings start the season in the rotation. We then get two looks at them in real games against 100% major league hitters. Then I think the decision on who the odd man out in the rotation is becomes a bit easier.

There has been some speculation here (its been a long spring training) about the Reds dealing pitching for a hitter (OF/SS). Arroyo seems the main guy people would deal in the right trade. I for one would feel a LOT better about something like this if I had some evidence that Owing's & Homer's recent strong pitching was not just a spring training mirage.
    I think with some small concerns about Harang and Arroyo's level of health no one will be dealt. None of the BP mainstays have been anything to shout about in S/T. So I think it's entirely possible that Homer will be in the pen. However I think he will go to AAA anyway so that he can keep this rolling, the chances are much better to do that in AAA than out of the pen. Masset if he continues to look ok as he has recently will remain for the short term but if he has some early hiccups he could be gone be week 3 of the season and maybe by then they will have a better gauge on Harang and Arroyo.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If the Reds could get a first tier prospect plus a serviceable emergency starter for Arroyo I would take it and take my lumps with Owings and Bailey -- for better or worse. Arroyo has been up and down for the Reds and right now would seem to be at peak value with his strong finish last season. The Reds are going younger, cheaper, more athletic and need to keep piling on those good young prospects. I doubt the Reds will re-up both Harang and Arroyo after their contracts end.

The other alternative is to keep Homer at AAA and hold onto Arroyo and Harang until the trade deadline, then see what happens. But given Homer's good spring and Arroyo's current good value, it may make sense to pull the trigger.

Arroyo performed admirably in the second half last year. The guy has been an inning eater, I'll give him that. But he is consistently inconsistent. If I was another team's GM, then this carpal tunnel issue would make me wary. As well as his '09 salary due.

This FO needs to keep their fingers crossed that Arroyo will overcome this, perform well in the first half, and then find a taker by the trading deadline for the guitar man.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?