Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good bye to a legend

Good bye to a legend

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/fo...ts?eref=fromSI

"The Voice of God" has gone quiet.

Bob Sheppard, the public address announcer at Yankee Stadium since 1951 and the possessor of a baritone so imposing and majestic that for decades people wondered if it came from the heavens, is retiring at age 98, according to The New York Times. Sheppard debuted as the Yankees' PA man with a lineup that included Hall of Famers Yogi Berra, Phil Rizzuto, Joe DiMaggio and a 19-year-old rookie named Mickey Mantle.

They were all iconic Yankees, and almost six decades later, so is Sheppard. Or, more accurately, so is his voice. Not much was ever known about Sheppard the man, and that's just the way he wanted it. He preferred to keep such a low profile that the confirmation of his age, as much the announcement of his retirement, is a surprise. What isn't a surprise is the way he became as much a part of the being at Yankee Stadium as any of the stars whose names he pronounced with the perfect diction befitting a man who taught speech at St. John's University. (I once recall Sheppard saying that his favorite name to announce was that of former Japanese player Shigetoshi Hasegawa, for the musical way it rolled off the tongue).

From his signature greeting before every game -- "Good evening, ladies and gentleman, and welcome to Yankee Stadium" -- to his classy, perfectly enunciated recitation of thousands of names during it, Sheppard was the one constant in the Bronx during a half century of almost constant turnover, and as much a part of the Stadium's mystique as any of the games he saw or players he announced. Even opposing players admitted to looking forward to being announced by him because it was a sure sign that they had finally arrived as big leaguers. He became so revered that even when he missed games because of illness, which happened more and more in recent years, Derek Jeter is said to have mandated that a recording of Sheppard be used to introduce his every at-bat in the Stadium.

Sheppard personified class and dignity, eschewing the histrionics and cheerleading that mark the PA work of so many of his colleagues in professional sports. Listening to him could be soothing, it could be enjoyable, but it could never be a clue as to what was happening on the field. Whether the Yankees were winning or losing, Sheppard simply did his job with the same even tone. While the Bronx Zoo raged all around him, Sheppard was an evening at the symphony.

At the conclusion of every Yankees game in recent years, Sheppard would sneak out from his private booth and be headed for the elevator even before the rendition of New York, New York began bellowing from Stadium loudspeakers and started spreadin' the news about the outcome of that night's game throughout the Bronx (Frank Sinatra, of course, for a win, and often the Liza Minelli version for a loss).

Give us the Liza version today. For the Yankees, for their fans, for the new Yankee Stadium that will never know his voice, Sheppard's departure is truly a loss.
    I was able to visit Yankee Stadium in 2005, and had the privilege of hearing that man in person. The way he pronounced Derek Jeter gave me chills down my spine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good bye to a legend

Nice article. I had no idea he was that age.

Rem

Bob Sheppard was "Waite Hoyt" kind of class, without the stories about all the old Yankees -he announced the name and it felt - great.

Not sure if I'll get to a Yankee game this year given ticket prices (working on an inside connect for seats) but he will be missed for sure!

His voice was just class. A great voice that will be missed. You would have never known he was over 90 with that voice. It didn't age a bit. Best of luck to him in his retirement.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Talk about irreplaceable. His voice is inextricably tied to the Yankee Stadium mystique for me.

I did know he was that old, so it's nice to see that this

"The Voice of God" has gone quiet.
    didn't mean what I at first thought it probably meant.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I saw last night that he's denying this report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I saw last night that he's denying this report.
    Good for him. I'd think he would want to be at the mic for at least one game in the new stadium.
    /r/reds

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

"We have spoken to Paul Sheppard, and he was very clear to us that the report made is categorically untrue", said Yankees director of public relations Jason Zillo. "Paul Sheppard has not said anything remotely like that."
    "I will not be able to be at Yankee Stadium for the series with the Cubs or Opening Day," Sheppard said in a statement released by the team. "My personal physician advised me to wait until I am ready. It is in the hands of God. I am looking forward to doing games in the new Stadium."
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Paul? Shepard. I had a good friend in grade school by that name. Nah..couldn't be him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

It's probably not official, but at 98, and in poor health, the odds of him returning probably aren't good. However, the writer shouldn't have written the story as fact if indeed it wasn't. More horrible journalism. This is what happens nowadays when copy editors are becoming all but extinct.

It would be only fitting to see/hear Shepard do at least one game in the new Yankee Stadium. Hopefully, it will be a lot more than one.

Rem

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

When I went to Yankee Stadium in 2006 I was looking forward to hearing Bob Sheppard announce, and I was not disappointed. Gave me chills to hear him live and in person.

For any of you who never had a chance to experience Yankee stadium I am truly sorry. It will forever be one of my greatest memories.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Paul? Shepard. I had a good friend in grade school by that name. That has to be him.
    fixed it.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Paul? Shepard. I had a student back when I was teaching grade school by that name. That has to be him...or his son.
    NOW it's fixed.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?