Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds ranked 14th in Baseball America's Organization Talent Rankings

Reds ranked 14th in Baseball America's Organization Talent Rankings

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...09/267864.html

That's a very fair ranking, IMO. I've said all along I thought the Reds belonged somewhere between 12 and 17. After graduating Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, and Joey Votto last year, a drop from number three was to be expected. To only drop 11 spots after graduating that much talent shows that there is still plenty of talent in the minors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds ranked 14th in Baseball America's Organization Talent Rankings

That appears to be a subscriber link.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

It is. I posted the link in case some of the subscribers on here didn't see it on the website.

Just to summarize a bit, they say third best is the biggest strength in the Reds organization. If Neftali Soto or Juan Francisco can handle third base defensively, they both bring an above-average bat to third base. They like Jordan Smith as a breakout candidate because of his low-90's sinker and good slider. They think Matt Maloney may profile better in the bullpen because of his poor fit for Great American Ballpark.

I am somewhat surprised at the ranking as I thought their lack of high-level talent would push them down into the mid 20s.

I think there's a decent chance the Reds could jump back into at least the top ten next year, potentially the top seven. Just looking at the Reds top 30 prospects, only Chris Dickerson (#12) and Ryan Hanigan (#16) are locks to lose their prospect eligibility this year. Others in the top 30 who stand a decent chance of losing their eligibility include Josh Roenicke (#14), Ramon Ramirez (#17), Carlos Fisher (#24), and Adam Rosales (#29). Daryl Thompson (#11) is roughly 30 innings short of losing his. Other than that, the rest should retain their prospect status. There's a chance guys like Alonso, Frazier, Stubbs, and Valaika could be called up this year but it will probably be late in the year when they won't get a enough atbats to lose their rookie status.

So, in addition to already having the 14th best farm system in baseball, the Reds will have two first round draft picks, three picks in the top 55, and four in the top 100. They are also expected to be busy again during the International signing period. There's a chance to add a lot more talent to the organization.

We'll also see the debuts of Juan Duran, Yorman Rodriguez, and Juan Carlos Sulbaran this year. While I expect Duran and Yorman to struggle since they are so young, if they have any success at all then BA will probably move them up the lists. And if Sulbaran breaks out like many expect, he'll give the Reds another top pitching talent to go along with Lotzkar.

As long as the Reds prospects stay healthy and continue progressing like they have the last couple years then they should make a jump in next years rankings.

Turn Off Ads?