Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1000

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

  1. #61
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Hey coach Cal...NEVER apologize or feel guilty for being successful. NO ONE would turn down 30 million dollars.
    He actually turned down more money at Memphis to go to Kentucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He actually turned down more money at Memphis to go to Kentucky.
    Memphis never released how much they offered, did they? I've read where they supposedly were ready to top UK's offer but I have never seen how much they actually put on the table.

  4. #63
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Memphis never released how much they offered, did they? I've read where they supposedly were ready to top UK's offer but I have never seen how much they actually put on the table.
    It was never released to my knowledge but Cal has said it on more than one occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  5. #64
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,888

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    CBS Sports is now reporting that Josh Pastner will be named the head coach at Memphis. As good as that is for Josh, that might seriously hamper future recruiting initiatives for Coach Calipari.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11600010
    Last edited by Blimpie; 04-06-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  6. #65
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    CBS Sports is now reporting that Josh Pastner will be named the head coach at Memphis. As good as that is for Josh, that might seriously hamper future recruiting initiatives for Coach Calipari.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11600010
    I'm actually not too disappointed in this.

    Pastner is supposed to hire Carl Henry (Xavier and CJ's dad) to the same job Rod Strickland had. That means we will lose on on Xavier Henry, but it's not like we were going to land him anyways.

    He doesn't hurt us in getting Wall or Cousins to Memphis. Reggie Theus I would have worried about, and I doubt Xavier is going to go after Theus (I could be wrong).

    Best of luck to Josh, we hardly knew ye'.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #66
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Jsaon King at Yahoo Sports is claiming Meeks has decided to enter the NBA draft. He will not hire an agent though.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...yhoo&type=lgns
    Last edited by BRM; 04-07-2009 at 09:51 AM.

  8. #67
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Jsaon King at Yahoo Sports is claiming Meeks has decided to enter the NBA draft. He will not hire an agent though.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...yhoo&type=lgns
    I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  9. #68
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.
    No surprise, and hardly similar to Azubuike.

    IIRC, Az's dad went to prison and he had a monetary situation to where he had to go pro. Meeks is more like Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans, just using the NBA draft camps to see what he needs to work on and seeing where he grades out.

    IMO, he and Patterson will be back. We aren't going to get Henry but Cousins and Wall are still strong possibilities. If we get those two we are set. Anything else is icing on the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #69
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.
    I'd think it's still pretty likely he returns to UK next season.

  11. #70
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'd think it's still pretty likely he returns to UK next season.
    I hope so.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  12. #71
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  13. #72
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.
    Out of curiosity, do you think Pastner going back to Memphis has any effect on us landing Cousins?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  14. #73
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you think Pastner going back to Memphis has any effect on us landing Cousins?
    I don't think so. I think Cousins is the type of kid who wants the "sure thing" to make himself a one and done player. I think it mostly hinges on him getting himself eligible academically. He still hasn't taken the ACT.

    I think Pastner is going to ultimately struggle at Memphis, to be completely honest. I think he'll win the league next year but will soon realize that recruits aren't nearly as enamored with coming to Memphis when the name "John Calipari" isn't on the Tiger letterhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    34

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.
    I agree. Smart move by Meeks. Nick Calathes is doing the same thing (although, I'm sure Meeks will have a tougher decision.) I expect both to be back.
    A person who knows but a little will put on an air of knowledge. This is a matter of inexperience. When someone knows something well, it will not be seen in his manner. This person is genteel.
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

  16. #75
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,761

    Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

    Well, it appears there are more legs to the Wall story than even thought of last week. An article on Wall on Rivals BBall Recruiting front page is titled "New Player in Wall Saga" and the last line (I can't repost the whole artile because its premium content) is:

    "I think it is pretty good to have schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas recruiting me," he said. "Those are four of the top schools that you hear about the most. It's great that coaches from schools like those want to see me and recruit me. In the end this is my decision, so I'll definitely be looking at North Carolina."

    The last part was said because Brian Clifton "handles" Wall and Clifton has stated (last week) that no player he advises will ever play for Roy Williams (goes back to Eric Wallace, the OSU player).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25