Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    1% of UK fans make the other 99% look bad. There are always idiot fans for every sports team. No one here has been arrogant, just a little optimistic since our program has sucked the past few years. But, that doesn't stop people from trolling here. I mean, could you imagine Indians fans coming to the main board blasting us anytime we predicted a playoff birth for the Reds?

Anyways... check out this weirdo that our little brother recruited......

LOL. Nice clown tattoo. Is he Devendork's little brother or something?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Oh, I missed where Cal won at UMass? When exactly was that?

And just so I have this straight - Roy is to blame for the probe at Kansas which was 4 years ago and amouted to zero infractions. However, Cal is not to blame for the Camby thing , which did lead to the FF banner being taken down? So two instances where the coach did nothing wrong, yet Roy is to blame and Cal is not. Got it.
    Puffy: If you are referring to my post, I had not intended to imply that things were quite that black & white. My main point is that critics of any coach are always implying that said coach "should" have known XYZ about an infraction that happened on "their watch." Obviously, there are relationships that exist which would mandate that coaches have more responsibility than others.

Because athletics boosters are integral both to the recruitment process and to the ultimate success of any program, by default, a head coach will have to learn to embrace their presence. In fact, coaches (and their ADs) should proactively communicate with boosters so that things never reach any level of misdeeds. A coach should never be blind-sided when it comes to booster improprieties. Furthermore, they should never claim to be "unaware" that something a booster did within their program was a violation (see: Williams, Roy).

Agents, on the other hand, serve absolutely no purpose within the collegiate ranks. All that coaches (and ADs) can do is educate the players about the pitfalls of becoming involved with them. If a player develops a relationship with an agent--and it can be proven that the relationship was not facilitated by the university--the coach cannot be held responsible.

To me, it is kinda like providing the players with drug/alcohol education--but then expecting the coach to patrol the frat parties in order to ensure that they are all making good decisions and being model student-athletes.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 04-10-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Puffy: If you are referring to my post, I had not intended to imply that things were quite that black & white. My main point is that critics of any coach are always implying that said coach "should" have known XYZ about an infraction that happened on "their watch." Obviously, there are relationships that exist which would mandate that coaches have more responsibility than others.

Because athletics boosters are integral both to the recruitment process and to the ultimate success of any program, by default, a head coach will have to learn to embrace their presence. In fact, coaches (and their ADs) should proactively communicate with boosters so that things never reach any level of misdeeds. A coach should never be blind-sided when it comes to booster improprieties. Furthermore, they should never claim to be "unaware" that something a booster did within their program was a violation (see: Williams, Roy).

Agents, on the other hand, serve absolutely no purpose within the collegiate ranks. All that coaches (and ADs) can do is educate the players about the pitfalls of becoming involved with them. If a player develops a relationship with an agent--and it can be proven that the relationship was not facilitated by the university--the coach cannot be held responsible.

To me, it is kinda like providing the players with drug/alcohol education--but then expecting the coach to patrol the frat parties in order to esnure that they are all making being model student-athletes.
    Very well put. It all depends on the circumstances. I really doubt that Pete Carroll didn't have any idea that Reggie Bush was getting a house, car, and thousands in spending cash.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Very well put. It all depends on the circumstances. I really doubt that Pete Carroll didn't have any idea that Reggie Bush was getting a house, car, and thousands in spending cash.
    Camby got $28k from 2 agents, presumably in a year, since that is all the NCAA stripped from them.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    My point was that Roy never won an NCAA championship at Kansas, so there was no need to take it down.

Blimpie summed up Calipari's track record pretty well, IMO.
    Right - the banner taken down from UMass was a final four banner. You're post was implying that no banner could be taken down cause Roy didn't win anything. Well, Coach Cal hasn't won anything either.

And Team Selig - I don't need to convince you that Cal is a dirty recruiter. Because he is not, to my knowledge. I love Coach Cal. Thought he was great at UMass, got the short end of the stick with the Nets, and remade Memphis into a power. If Roy wasn't at UNC I would love to have Cal there (and I would have never said that about Billy Clyde). But people on this thread keep bring up UNC and Roy - not me.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

You didn't bring up UMass?

ummmm, yes. After WVRed brought up Roy Williams encouraging boosters to pay off kids.

But I get it - you won't call out WVRed for bringing it up, only me because I responded.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Maybe I only call out UNC fans

Ok, enough UNC bashing, now lets turn our attention to Huggs Thugs.

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/200904091065

West Virginia officials have been approached about playing host to West Coast Conference power Gonzaga next basketball season as a part of ESPN's College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.

Mountaineer coach Bob Huggins Thursday confirmed the interest. If played, WVU could appear on national television seven times next season before play in the Big East conference - featuring its massive TV deal - begins.

The Tip-Off Marathon featured 23 consecutive hours of college basketball-themed programming on ESPN last season and included nine games played in five U.S. time zones. Huggins said his team's game might begin at midnight in Morgantown.

Gonzaga won 28 games this past season before falling 98-77 to eventual champion North Carolina in the NCAA tournament.

The Bulldogs won their ninth straight West Coast Conference title, going unbeaten in league play for the third time in school history. They won the WCC tournament for the ninth time in the last 11 years.

Gonzaga also advanced to its 11th consecutive NCAA tournament and made the Sweet Sixteen for the fifth time during that span.

Five seniors, however, leave GU's program, including leading scorer Josh Heytvelt and guard Jeremy Pargo, who led the team in assists.

West Virginia, returning a strong core from its NCAA team, has already been projected to start the season as a top-10 team.

The Mountaineers already have home games with Ohio State and Mississippi in place after visiting both schools last season.

Huggins has also confirmed negotiations between his school and Florida, and he's said he'll call close friend John Calipari about possibly scheduling Kentucky.

Meanwhile, WVU has already signed on to play in the 76 Classic over the Thanksgiving weekend at the Anaheim (Calif.) Convention Center. The Classic is a 12-game bracketed tournament in which the Mountaineers could start against another West Coast team in Portland, Ore.

The other teams involved in that are UCLA, Texas A&M, Long Beach State, Clemson, Butler and Minnesota.

If the deal is sealed with Gonzaga, Huggins said WVU would play in Spokane, Wash., the following season.

Reach Mitch Vingle at 304-348-4827, mitchvin...@wvgazette.com
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

[QUOTE][/QUOTE

Raleigh Word of God point guard John Wall said Thursday morning that North Carolina was not recruiting him and that there had been no changes in the list of schools he is considering. But North Carolina is showing increased interest in Wall, who is 6-foot-4 and one of the nation's top senior high school basketball players. Eddie Gray, who coached Wall for two years at Garner High, said he talked to North Carolina's staff this week about Wall's background. North Carolina coach Roy Williams called Wall from the Final Four in Detroit last week. But Wall said Thursday that he had not talked to Williams since that call. Wall said he expects to talk to Williams again, but he doesn't know of any timetable. "North Carolina is not recruiting me now," he said. Asked if he would be interested in North Carolina if the Tar Heels recruited him, Wall said, ?"hat's something I would have to look into." Wall said N.C. State, Duke, Memphis, Baylor, Kansas, Miami and Kentucky are on his list of possible schools.

Charlotte Observer
    ]

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/98792

Konner Tucker is now headed to Wake Forest. Not bad for a kid who can't play.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Konner Tucker is now headed to Wake Forest. Not bad for a kid who can't play.
    Not that he cant play, just that he shouldn't be playing at Kentucky. The Wake side of things is talking about him as a shooter off the bench. That is a ways from being the starting pg at Kentucky. Some Wake folks also think Dino has forgotten he is at Wake Forest and is back at Loyola.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Some pretty interesting stories on this blog:

http://michaeleaves.blogspot.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I read Eaves quite a bit, as well. Prior to the Gillispie firing, Eaves was floating some very interesting rumors about the UK job...

They never quite panned out, but they were pretty intriguing at the time.

So apparently Orton didn't take the UK flag when offered to him by Hood this weekend. Watched the team USA game the other night and Cousins didn't overly impress me. Wall and Henry on the other hand looked great.

Turn Off Ads?