Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Hey coach Cal...NEVER apologize or feel guilty for being successful. NO ONE would turn down 30 million dollars.
    He actually turned down more money at Memphis to go to Kentucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He actually turned down more money at Memphis to go to Kentucky.
    Memphis never released how much they offered, did they? I've read where they supposedly were ready to top UK's offer but I have never seen how much they actually put on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Memphis never released how much they offered, did they? I've read where they supposedly were ready to top UK's offer but I have never seen how much they actually put on the table.
    It was never released to my knowledge but Cal has said it on more than one occasion.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

CBS Sports is now reporting that Josh Pastner will be named the head coach at Memphis. As good as that is for Josh, that might seriously hamper future recruiting initiatives for Coach Calipari.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11600010
    Last edited by Blimpie; 04-06-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    CBS Sports is now reporting that Josh Pastner will be named the head coach at Memphis. As good as that is for Josh, that might seriously hamper future recruiting initiatives for Coach Calipari.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11600010
    I'm actually not too disappointed in this.

Pastner is supposed to hire Carl Henry (Xavier and CJ's dad) to the same job Rod Strickland had. That means we will lose on on Xavier Henry, but it's not like we were going to land him anyways.

He doesn't hurt us in getting Wall or Cousins to Memphis. Reggie Theus I would have worried about, and I doubt Xavier is going to go after Theus (I could be wrong).

Best of luck to Josh, we hardly knew ye'.

Jsaon King at Yahoo Sports is claiming Meeks has decided to enter the NBA draft. He will not hire an agent though.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...yhoo&type=lgns
    Last edited by BRM; 04-07-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Jsaon King at Yahoo Sports is claiming Meeks has decided to enter the NBA draft. He will not hire an agent though.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...yhoo&type=lgns
    I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.
    No surprise, and hardly similar to Azubuike.

IIRC, Az's dad went to prison and he had a monetary situation to where he had to go pro. Meeks is more like Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans, just using the NBA draft camps to see what he needs to work on and seeing where he grades out.

IMO, he and Patterson will be back. We aren't going to get Henry but Cousins and Wall are still strong possibilities. If we get those two we are set. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'd think it's still pretty likely he returns to UK next season.

I'd think it's still pretty likely he returns to UK next season.
    I hope so.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.
    Out of curiosity, do you think Pastner going back to Memphis has any effect on us landing Cousins?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you think Pastner going back to Memphis has any effect on us landing Cousins?
    I don't think so. I think Cousins is the type of kid who wants the "sure thing" to make himself a one and done player. I think it mostly hinges on him getting himself eligible academically. He still hasn't taken the ACT.

I think Pastner is going to ultimately struggle at Memphis, to be completely honest. I think he'll win the league next year but will soon realize that recruits aren't nearly as enamored with coming to Memphis when the name "John Calipari" isn't on the Tiger letterhead.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I agree. Smart move by Meeks. Nick Calathes is doing the same thing (although, I'm sure Meeks will have a tougher decision.) I expect both to be back.

Well, it appears there are more legs to the Wall story than even thought of last week. An article on Wall on Rivals BBall Recruiting front page is titled "New Player in Wall Saga" and the last line (I can't repost the whole artile because its premium content) is:

"I think it is pretty good to have schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas recruiting me," he said. "Those are four of the top schools that you hear about the most. It's great that coaches from schools like those want to see me and recruit me. In the end this is my decision, so I'll definitely be looking at North Carolina."

The last part was said because Brian Clifton "handles" Wall and Clifton has stated (last week) that no player he advises will ever play for Roy Williams (goes back to Eric Wallace, the OSU player).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?