Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    And I've never sped according to the government. Come on, a booster doesn't pay a player without the coach knowing. I'm not saying Calipari is a cheater or or will ever have this happen again, but it's pretty ridiculous to say something like that. Plausible denibility isn't going to fly.
    And you could say that about almost every high level NCAA coach. There is no way that they can know everything that their student-athletes do. JoePa had the same problem w/ Curtis Enis that Cal did w/ Camby. No one sees JoePa as a crook.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    And you could say that about almost every high level NCAA coach. There is no way that they can know everything that their student-athletes do. JoePa had the same problem w/ Curtis Enis that Cal did w/ Camby. No one sees JoePa as a crook.
    JoePa isn't tight with Worldwide Wes. It's that connection that gives the appearance of shadiness on Cal's part, whether it's deserved or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I know you intended that to be sarcasm; however, as recently as two weeks ago, the NCAA reported that Calipari has zero dings on his record for his entire coaching career.

Sandy Bell (head of UK athletic compliance) is one of the most thorough individuals you will ever meet. When Calipari was mentioned for the UK job, she lobbied HARD against him to Dr. Todd, Mitch Barnhart and the Board. I am told that a great divide was created within the AD based upon the strength of emotions coming from Bell.

The moral to the story is that Bell (working in direct conjunction with the NCAA) could not dig up a single infraction against Calipari....Nada. By the end of the weekend, Bell knew she had performed her due dilligence and was happy to endorse Calipari as coach.

IIRC, even Pitino has something like six career infractions and sounds like Roy Williams better be on his best behavior. Marcus Camby's problem originated from an seedy agent who lurked around the UMass campus. It sounds like Roy Williams is gonna catch heat that was delivered courtesy of Kansas boosters.

There is a huge difference there, my friend.
    Eight, actually, on Pitino. Came from his time in Hawaii as an assistant coach during the 70's.

The story was from four years ago, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Certainly there is a "lack of institutional control" in most NCAA programs. But few are the instances where programs have been forced to give back games won. We Kentucky fans should know that as well as anyone. I really don't remember - what blame did the NCAA lay at Sutton's feet for that mess?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YszBt...layer_embedded

Video sent to John Wall's facebook, "Nashville and HotDog". Only in Kentucky...
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He never won one at Kansas.

And to add to that, John Calipari has ZERO NCAA infractions.
    Oh, I missed where Cal won at UMass? When exactly was that?

And just so I have this straight - Roy is to blame for the probe at Kansas which was 4 years ago and amouted to zero infractions. However, Cal is not to blame for the Camby thing , which did lead to the FF banner being taken down? So two instances where the coach did nothing wrong, yet Roy is to blame and Cal is not. Got it.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Yeah, but if you look at some of the recent title winners, they are almost all teams that convinced their guys to come back instead of jumping to the NBA. They were not necessarily Freshmen dominated (aside from Syracuse). Florida won it then they all came back. Carolina had 2 or 3 guys who could have left. The same goes for Kansas and UCONN in '04. So, not only does Cal need to get the guys, but he needs some of them to stay.
    16 of the 20 starters in the Final 4 were juniors or seniors this year...I was stunned by that when Nantz and Kellogg mentioned it...the worm may be indeed turning back to teams needing upperclassmen to win the whole thing...

With some Roy Williams references, I had to mention a funny story...I buy a book 6 weeks ago about a high school basketball player who is going through the recruiting process as a senior from a very nice retired gentlemen (the author) who was signing at a Books-A-Million...we start a conversation and he gives me some of his background and we talk...I start reading the book...kindof folksy and clearly drawing from his appreciation of family and his past...

But I begin to notice the author taking some thinly-veiled shots at the Kansas coach during the story...until 1 day it hits me...googled it up and yes, the same Allen Bohl, AD at Kansas who lost the power struggle with Roy and was fired is the author of this book...guess the shots weren't so thinly-veiled after all...he admitted as much to me in some email conversations...they are not on each other's Christmas card list...needless to say, the player ends up signing at another school...

Good thread by the way...as a loyal Gator hoops guy (now assuming the "duck and avoid flying objects" position), I will make this a regular pit-stop on my online reading...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Oh, I missed where Cal won at UMass? When exactly was that?

And just so I have this straight - Roy is to blame for the probe at Kansas which was 4 years ago and amouted to zero infractions. However, Cal is not to blame for the Camby thing , which did lead to the FF banner being taken down? So two instances where the coach did nothing wrong, yet Roy is to blame and Cal is not. Got it.
    My point was that Roy never won an NCAA championship at Kansas, so there was no need to take it down.

Blimpie summed up Calipari's track record pretty well, IMO.

Caliparty is not a dirty recruiter, and convincing us anything different is not going to happen. Jealously has ran wild across the NCAA and we haven't even played one game with Cali yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Caliparty is not a dirty recruiter, and convincing us anything different is not going to happen. Jealously has ran wild across the NCAA and we haven't even played one game with Cali yet.
    Arrogance has also run wild across the UK fanbase before Cal has coached a game in Lexington.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

1% of UK fans make the other 99% look bad. There are always idiot fans for every sports team. No one here has been arrogant, just a little optimistic since our program has sucked the past few years. But, that doesn't stop people from trolling here. I mean, could you imagine Indians fans coming to the main board blasting us anytime we predicted a playoff birth for the Reds?

Anyways... check out this weirdo that our little brother recruited......

I agree that optimism and excitement are good. Very good. But there certainly has been enough arrogance to make me want to turn my head a bit.

Someone else for UK fans to hate on.

If you like that one you'll LOVE this one.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...=tsn&type=lgns

Turn Off Ads?