Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    One thing I really like is how balanced IU's class is, 1 PG, 1 SG, 1 SF, 2 PF, and 1 C.
    Maurice Creek is the only IU recruit I had heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Maurice Creek is the only IU recruit I had heard of.
    Well, I doubt you follow IU recruiting all that closely so that's not surprising.

Cal was on Dan Patrick earlier today and made a few comments:

– Calipari said he hopes new Memphis coach Josh Pastner can keep all of his players. Calipari understands kids come to play for a coach, but hopes his former program does well. And he said that if he talks to any of the Memphis players he’ll tell them to stay put.

– Calipari said he told Kentucky that he has taken four years to build a program in the past and he’ll need that in Lexington.

– Dan was honest with Calipari and told him that he thought he took the job at Kentucky that he wanted to “eat at the big boys table.” Calipari said that there might be something to that. Calipari said if he didn’t take this job now, he might not get another chance.

– Dan asked Calipari about his relationship with Louisville coach Rick Pitino. “We’re not best of friends,” Calipari said. “But we’ve known each other for a long time.” Calipari thanked Pitino for helping him get certain jobs in the past. Calipari said he’s not sure his team is ready to play Louisville yet. He apparently has drawn some fire for saying “don’t make a big deal out of the Louisville game” Calipari said that doesn’t want to make too big a deal of any one game.

– Calipari said he has no problems with Jodie Meeks and other players testing the NBA waters. Calipari just warned that the NBA doesn’t change its mind, so if you’re having a bad workout, be careful.
    The Louisville comment doesn't bother me so much, as much as I think the stakes in this game will be a LOT higher with Cal at the helm. The rivalry has sizzled up a couple of notches as a result and with Kentucky likely getting some big time recruits this could be the best time to take down Little Brother U.

Cal is also going to be on ESPNU at 3:00. Xavier Henry and John Wall are supposed to be on as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Memphis fans are getting restless. From Memphis Roar, discussing the two JUCO's from Miami-Dade Community College - Darnell Dodson and Will Coleman.

According to Dan Wolken on The Memphis Edge, he believes that there is a good possibility that John Calipari may be or will be involved with these two if this does indeed happen.

“The question now is whether John Calipari would try to get involved (or if he already is). The answer is most likely yes. What Calipari has been telling people close to him is that he is worried he might win 15 or 16 games at Kentucky next year after seeing the lack of talent in that program. Whether he really believes that or not, he’s clearly laying the groundwork for a player-grab, even if it comes at the expense of his former assistant.”

So here’s the deal. As a Memphis fan, you MUST resist the urge to let this eat you up. Remain positive. We debated putting up an article on this mainly because there is such a need for positive press for Memphis basketball right now, and this is only the opposite. This is far from over. You can bet that Pastner will be fighting like heck to try to keep these two guys. If they leave, it had nothing to do with Pastner. If they stay, it had EVERYTHING to do with him.

* To add an interesting side-note to this story, Gary Parrish of CBS Sports reported this morning on his weekly radio spot that he has been told from industry sources that Calipari is actively recruiting Darnell Dodson and Will Coleman to the University of Kentucky. Remember, both of these guys are still signed with the University of Memphis. No release has been granted on these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Well, I doubt you follow IU recruiting all that closely so that's not surprising.
    Most of IU's guys have been sewn up for a while too, haven't they? I know Copacabana has been anyway.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Most of IU's guys have been sewn up for a while too, haven't they? I know Copacabana has been anyway.
    Yes they have. I think nearly all of them committed way back early in the season.

According to Dan Wolken on The Memphis Edge, he believes that there is a good possibility that John Calipari may be or will be involved with these two if this does indeed happen.

“The question now is whether John Calipari would try to get involved (or if he already is). The answer is most likely yes. What Calipari has been telling people close to him is that he is worried he might win 15 or 16 games at Kentucky next year after seeing the lack of talent in that program. Whether he really believes that or not, he’s clearly laying the groundwork for a player-grab, even if it comes at the expense of his former assistant.”

So here’s the deal. As a Memphis fan, you MUST resist the urge to let this eat you up. Remain positive. We debated putting up an article on this mainly because there is such a need for positive press for Memphis basketball right now, and this is only the opposite. This is far from over. You can bet that Pastner will be fighting like heck to try to keep these two guys. If they leave, it had nothing to do with Pastner. If they stay, it had EVERYTHING to do with him.

* To add an interesting side-note to this story, Gary Parrish of CBS Sports reported this morning on his weekly radio spot that he has been told from industry sources that Calipari is actively recruiting Darnell Dodson and Will Coleman to the University of Kentucky. Remember, both of these guys are still signed with the University of Memphis. No release has been granted on these guys.
    Question for you guys - if UK is the big-time favorite to end up with Cousins (signed), either Orton or Henry (and with Henry I imagine comes his brother), and Wall, plus Meeks coming back (he is a second rounder at best from what I have read thus far), plus whoever else some of you guys have claimed UK is the favorites for, how is Cal still going after Juco's? How many spots can UK possibly have?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Question for you guys - if UK is the big-time favorite to end up with Cousins (signed), either Orton or Henry (and with Henry I imagine comes his brother), and Wall, plus Meeks coming back (he is a second rounder at best from what I have read thus far), plus whoever else some of you guys have claimed UK is the favorites for, how is Cal still going after Juco's? How many spots can UK possibly have?
    Yeah I don't see how Cal could possibly offer these guys unless he is planning on a MUCH MUCH bigger housecleaning than anyone anticipated. I'm talking getting rid of incoming seniors.

Xavier's brother will be a walk-on, however. The Phillies are paying for his college education.

Xavier Henry and John Wall were both on an ESPN Chat today.

Check it out:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25978

part of BBN

If the signing period starts wednesday, when will any roster openings take place? Any ideas?
    I am actually speaking of scholarships.
    Last edited by jmac; 04-14-2009 at 04:25 PM.

I found these two answers interesting from Xavier. For some reason, I thought the NCAA had already ruled on C.J. but apparently they haven't.

Brian (Chicago): Will you wait to hear from the NCAA on CJ's status next year before making a decision?

Xavier Henry: Yeah. CJ's a big part of my decision. I'm waiting to hear about him before I decide where I'm going.
    Ryan (Lexington, KY): How much does Jodie Meek's decision to stay in the draft or come back next year affect your opinion of coming to UK? Could you all play well together?

Xavier Henry: That would. That changed the team and the whole outlook of the team. I'd have to look at that if he decides to stay in or play at Kentucky. We'd have to talk about it.

I found these two answers interesting from Xavier. For some reason, I thought the NCAA had already ruled on C.J. but apparently they haven't.
    Does his quote mean he wants Meeks to stay or go? I mean, they do play 2 wings don't they? Plenty of shots to go around!

Does his quote mean he wants Meeks to stay or go? I mean, they do play 2 wings don't they? Plenty of shots to go around!
    That's why I thought it was interesting. I couldn't decipher whether he wanted him to stay or go either. Did you see Wall's answer to the question "what is the most important factor for you in making your college decision"? Being close to home was listed first.

That's why I thought it was interesting. I couldn't decipher whether he wanted him to stay or go either. Did you see Wall's answer to the question "what is the most important factor for you in making your college decision"? Being close to home was listed first.
    Ahh... More reasons to hate the recruiting mumbo jumbo. I am not too concerned with what Wall said. I think that kid just likes to stis the pot... and maybe that both oars aren't in the water all the time.

Ahh... More reasons to hate the recruiting mumbo jumbo. I am not too concerned with what Wall said. I think that kid just likes to stis the pot... and maybe that both oars aren't in the water all the time.
    I know. I thought it was an interesting comment but I don't believe much of anything a recruit says either. Same for coaches most of the time. Just like when Cal said "Memphis is where I want to coach". He was taking the UK job a few days later. It's all mumbo jumbo.

Turn Off Ads?