Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

I watched the South Atlanta-LeFore game on one of the ESPN's last night. Gotta say that Cousins is the real deal.

Think Antoine Walker but a much better inside presence and more athletic. Can be an effective post player but can also bury it from deep as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since most of the John Wall discussion has taken place in this thread, I'll place this Gary Parrish column here.

Don't eliminate the Wall-to-NBA talk just yet
    Posted on: April 15, 2009 11:01 pm
    Edited on: April 16, 2009 12:48 am

John Wall told Rivals.com on Wednesday that he will not enter the 2009 NBA Draft.

"I'm going to school for one or two years and trying to win a national championship," Wall said, and that might mean something if I hadn't spent years listening to one lottery pick after another swear they were putting off NBA riches only to reverse course a few weeks later. Mike Conley and Jonny Flynn come to mind, just off the top of my head.

So no, I do not believe this Wall-to-the-NBA story is over.

Not yet, regardless of what anybody says -- and the reason is because of Wall's 13-point, 11-assist, five-steal performance in Sunday's Nike Hoops Summit that made NBA people start to ask why the nation's top-rated point guard isn't seriously considering the NBA Draft given that there seems to be a loophole that would allow him to enter despite the fact that he's still technically a high school player.

According to the age-limit rule, an American-born player can be eligible for the draft if the player is at least 19 years old during the calendar year of the draft, plus one NBA season removed from his high school graduation or one NBA season removed from the date on which he should've graduated high school. Nobody is disputing that Wall is already 19, and sources have confirmed to CBSSports.com that he began high school in August 2004, meaning Wall should've graduated in May 2008, i.e., before this NBA season began. In other words, if Wall applied for the draft the NBA might really have to approve his application, and even if the organization initially fought Wall's inclusion industry sources believe there isn't a decent attorney who couldn't win a lawsuit based on the ambiguity of the rule.

Asked if he could imagine a scenario under which Wall's application for the NBA Draft would be denied, Sonny Vaccaro, a longtime person of influence in the sport, answered quickly. "No," Vaccaro told CBSSports.com on Wednesday night. "I'm going to say 'No' because I'm reading the rule."

Vaccaro said he has spoken with "a number" of NBA scouts in the past three days.

"They've all told me (Wall) would go in the top eight," Vaccaro said. "Nobody has said he'd go lower than eight."

Wall is now in New York preparing for Saturday's Jordan Brand Classic.

At tip-off, rest assured there will be many interested viewers.

"Somebody from every lottery team will be there," Vaccaro said. "There is no question in my mind."

Worth noting: The eighth pick in this NBA Draft will receive a guaranteed two-year contract worth roughly $4.3 million.

Some more news and notes:

• Maggard is reporting that Cal has scheduled a trip to Birmingham to meet with Eric Bledsoe.
    • StraitPinkie is reporting that Nolan Dennis is no longer considering UK. Could be an indicator regarding H2. Maggard has also said UK would not offer Dennis anyways.
    • Scott Padgett and Tony Delk have been hired to the UK staff. They are not assistant coaches, but will serve in some capacity. This is according to Dave Baker and WKYT.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

From an ESPN article on Henry:

Here's what Henry had to say about his finalists.

Kansas: "It's only a four and a half hour drive from Oklahoma City, my brother originally committed there out of high school before signing a professional baseball contract and I know the Kansas tradition through my mom and dad. When my dad received a DVD of their 2008 National Championship season, I watched it 50 times; it gave me chills," he said.

Kentucky: "I don't know anything about the program's history, but I do know Calipari is the coach. Cal has a feel for building a program. He makes you already feel a part of the program and wants you to succeed. He'll tell you honestly if you are ready for the NBA."

Saying he wanted to help them launch coaching careers, new UK coach John Calipari on Thursday said he would hire former Wildcat players Tony Delk and Scott Padgett.

"I've done this many times. What happens is with guys like that, they're in positions of assistant strength coach or assistant equipment manager," Calipari said.

Delk is a former Wildcat All-American, who was a 1st-round draft pick of the Hornets in 1996. Delk was instrumental in helping the Wildcats to an NCAA championship in 1996.

Padgett was drafted in the 1st-round by the Utah Jazz in 1999, after leading Tubby Smith's Wildcats to the 1998 NCAA title.

"This is not a money thing," Calipari said. "If you want to get started in this profession, I will help you."

The new coach also said he will have 4-5 guys around every year who want to get into the coaching profession.

I love this guy. I especially love bringing in Delk. He's perhaps my favorite Wildcat that I can clearly remember.

Cal really is the anti-Billy.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Some more news and notes:[*]Maggard is reporting that Cal has scheduled a trip to Birmingham to meet with Eric Bledsoe.
    Wait a minute! I thought this can not/would not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Wait a minute! I thought this can not/would not happen.
    T.I.C.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    T.I.C.
    Huh? I am dumm.

Huh? I am dumm.
    Trust In Cal.

That was always my point. If he cools on a kid, there's a reason. Maybe he'll turn the heat up again later, maybe he won't.

My advice to UK fans is to not overthink the recruiting process and just enjoy the ride. Cal will make the best decisions for UK.

Trust In Cal. That was always my point. If he cools on a kid, there's a reason. Maybe he'll turn the heat up again later, maybe he won't. My advice to UK fans is to not overthink the recruiting process and just enjoy the ride. Cal will make the best decisions for UK.
    . Just out of curiousity then, why would you say the other day that it can't/wouldn't happen?

. Just out of curiousity then, why would you say the other day that it can't/wouldn't happen?
    I said that us not ending up with a PG can't/wouldn't happen under Cal.

My advice to UK fans is to not overthink the recruiting process and just enjoy the ride. Cal will make the best decisions for UK.
    The bolded part is good advice for all fans of college sports. Fans of every team should do just that.

I see. I misunderstood this quote to mean Bledsoe couldn't/wouldn't happen.
    There's a reason Calipari has cooled on Bledsoe. It can't happen. Won't happen. This ain't Cal's first rodeo.

I see. I misunderstood this quote to mean Bledsoe couldn't/wouldn't happen.
    Gotcha. I understand how that could have been misconstrued.

Turn Off Ads?