Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm actually not too disappointed in this.

Pastner is supposed to hire Carl Henry (Xavier and CJ's dad) to the same job Rod Strickland had. That means we will lose on on Xavier Henry, but it's not like we were going to land him anyways.

He doesn't hurt us in getting Wall or Cousins to Memphis. Reggie Theus I would have worried about, and I doubt Xavier is going to go after Theus (I could be wrong).

Best of luck to Josh, we hardly knew ye'.
    I dunno WVRed, Josh was the point man on the Wall recruiting trail for Calipari.

I am still pretty worried that he might pull that signing off for Memphis. I hope that I am wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I dunno WVRed, Josh was the point man on the Wall recruiting trail for Calipari.

I am still pretty worried that he might pull that signing off for Memphis. I hope that I am wrong.
    Here's the difference though, Pastner was recruiting these kids to play for John Calipari, not for Josh Pastner.

I doubt Pastner could sell Wall, Henry, or Cousins on the idea to play for him at Memphis instead of playing for a proven coach not just at Kentucky, but Kansas, Duke, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Also, another under the radar note, Michael Porter is calling it a career.

Graduated in three years, married, and a kid on the way. I didn't like Porter's decision making at times, but he was definitely had the best work ethic of anybody on that team last year. Best of luck to Michael Porter in his future endeavors.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Demarcus Cousins is a CAT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Great news. Paging Mr. Wall, Paging Mr. Wall....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You can't spell CAT without ACT!!!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    You can't spell CAT without ACT!!!
    Details, details...

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Also, another under the radar note, Michael Porter is calling it a career.

Graduated in three years, married, and a kid on the way. I didn't like Porter's decision making at times, but he was definitely had the best work ethic of anybody on that team last year. Best of luck to Michael Porter in his future endeavors.
    I'm sure the baby was a huge factor in his decision, but I wonder how much of that decision was the result of an honest, heart-to-heart conversation with John Calipari?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'm sure the baby was a huge factor in his decision, but I wonder how much of that decision was the result of an honest, heart-to-heart conversation with John Calipari?
    One more scholarship for Johnny C to hand out.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    The local guys were talking today about Dominique Ferguson's re-opening of his recruitment and speculated that Ferguson had a chat with Calipari, and Calipari encouraged him to "re-open" his recruitment, which would help save face as opposed to Kentucky rescinding the scholarship offer.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Details, details...
    I read recently that Cousins has not yet taken the ACT or SAT and is thus not yet eligiblle via the NCAA Clearinghouse. Doesn't mean he won't take it soon and get a 36/1600. But it is somewhat different to not have at least taken it by now.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

He has to arrange for his "Cousins" to take the test for him....I'll be here all week....

From the Sporting News:

"I'd still say it's between ... three schools -- Kansas, Kentucky and Memphis," Carl Henry, Xavier's father, told the paper.

Responding to a Sporting News report, new Memphis coach Josh Pastner denied that he'd spoken to Carl about a job as director of player operations and said that a deal for Carl to take the job was not in place. Carl told The Oklahoman that he has not heard from Pastner about the job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Well, it appears there are more legs to the Wall story than even thought of last week. An article on Wall on Rivals BBall Recruiting front page is titled "New Player in Wall Saga" and the last line (I can't repost the whole artile because its premium content) is:

"I think it is pretty good to have schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas recruiting me," he said. "Those are four of the top schools that you hear about the most. It's great that coaches from schools like those want to see me and recruit me. In the end this is my decision, so I'll definitely be looking at North Carolina."

The last part was said because Brian Clifton "handles" Wall and Clifton has stated (last week) that no player he advises will ever play for Roy Williams (goes back to Eric Wallace, the OSU player).
    I know a lot of UK fans that are freaking out over this, considering Roy managed to land Brandan Wright with one visit after UK worked for years establishing a relationship.

But a lot of that had to do with Tubby Smith. Wright grew up a UK fan and could see the writing on the wall in terms of pro potential at UK vs UNC. Wall OTOH is more likely one and done, and Cal managed to lead one of the best one and done PG's to a championship game.

I don't see UNC being a player in this one. If UNC wanted Wall, I believe they would have went after him instead of Dexter Strickland early in the recruiting process. That and it doesn't seem like Wall fits Roy Williams style of 3-4 year players.

UNC's style of play is a great fit for Wall. Not that Cal's isn't, mind you. If Roy is expressing interest though, then I think they are absolutely a player for him.

Turn Off Ads?