Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1000

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Not really....Calipari is just a slimy coach, and he'll fit right in at UK!
    Yep, and Ohio State and USC is just as innocent.

Oops.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Oops.

Oops.
    Well, in fairness to my alma mater, the basketball program has been completely cleaned up, and Tressel has never been questioned the way Coach Cal has.

The guy has a track record, fair or not. UK fans will defend him to the death because he's the savior, the chosen one. Hell, if I were a UK fan, I'd defend him too.

But the guy has this reputation for a reason. If you go to two Final Fours and BOTH of them are vacated, what does that say? Lack of institutional control includes the coach too, ya know.

I'm not a UK hater. College basketball really isn't my thing. But Coach Cal isn't Coach K. Some of the people assocaited with his program, some of his "cronies," including the guy that helped land D-Rose, shouldn't be anywhere near a top program.

Larry Vaught posted on a blog awhile back that UK and Gillispie had reached a settlement of 3 million (half of what was owed) plus buying his house.

As for the player treatment, it's more of a matter of public opinion. My guess is some of these examples would be something a coach wouldn't want out:

1. Forcing a player to sit on a toilet during a halftime speech.

2. Calling a freshman player something that rhymes with "wussy".

3. Berating players who come to his office for advice.

4. Forcing an injured player to walk from the team hotel to the gymnasium on a road game, only to be stopped when other players got off the bus to walk with him.

5. Threatening to kick off your star player (Meeks) during the final game in the NIT.

I'm sure there are more, and WillyMo, Blimpie, Javy, cumberland, TS and other UK fans may have heard similar stories. These were the ones that popped into my head.
    That's pretty much what I heard and I believe it all to be true. BG really needs to apply for the Army or Navy basketball coach job whenever they come up next. He would fit in perfectly at either of those places.
    The whole gist of BG suing is that he believes that the MOU served as the formal contract while UK does not. The courts will decide this and I really have no idea if an MOU would be the same or not.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Was he known for this type of behavior at UTEP and Texas A&M? I'm referring primarily to his treatment of players.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's pretty much what I heard and I believe it all to be true. BG really needs to apply for the Army or Navy basketball coach job whenever they come up next. He would fit in perfectly at either of those places.
    The whole gist of BG suing is that he believes that the MOU served as the formal contract while UK does not. The courts will decide this and I really have no idea if an MOU would be the same or not.
    Actually believe it or not the Army and Navy coaches have to be really nice to their players. Of course Bob Knight was famously admonished for being too hard on them, but the coaches know that the players are going to be dead tired no matter what.

A great passage in "The Last Amateurs" about how the Army coach kept cancelling film sessions on road games so that his players could actually get a full night of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Not really....Calipari is just a slimy coach, and he'll fit right in at UK!

gotta love the jealousy... nice to see that it is back

nm
    Last edited by BRM; 05-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Lots of people have always hated Kentucky. Whether deserved or not, this type of situation gives them ammo to stop by in this thread and make a post like CrackerJack calling the coach a "scumbag" etc. etc. Very immature and not accurate considering the facts of the situation, but people like that are best just ignored. Haters hate. It's what they do.

You're also seeing lots of hate from former Conference USA foes especially who have long memories.

Turn Off Ads?