Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Cutler finally traded!

Re: Jay Cutler finally traded!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Actually I believe Orton will be backing up Chris Simms, I think they signed him recently. Simms might be a good fit for a Pats style offense.
    Simms was signed a month ago to a two year deal worth $6 million while Orton is under contract for '09 only and for only $995,000. It will be interesting to see which of the two ends up as the starter but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another qb to be the long term answer.

Denver will now have 11 picks this year (five picks in the top 84) with two picks in the 1st round (12th & 18th picks), 3rd round, 5th round, and 7th round. For a coach that wants to remake his new team McDaniels does have some pieces to work with.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Simms was signed a month ago to a two year deal worth $6 million while Orton is under contract for '09 only and for only $995,000. It will be interesting to see which of the two ends up as the starter but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another qb to be the long term answer.

Denver will now have 11 picks this year (five picks in the top 84) with two picks in the 1st round (12th & 18th picks), 3rd round, 5th round, and 7th round. For a coach that wants to remake his new team McDaniels does have some pieces to work with.
    I can't imagine they would even think Orton's the answer, but stranger things have happened (Dilfer - Super Bowl).

Yes Denver definitely has some nice power here. They now have the means to make a trade up in the 1st if they so choose to get whomever they wish. I would have to think a guy like Sanchez makes a lot of sense for an offense like that. My guess is we will start hearing "unknown sources" who state some team absolutely loves Sanchez up around 8-10 area. Which the Bengals are sitting pretty for because Denver isn't likely to trade up with Oakland for more than one reason, and all it would take to get to #6 from #12 is their 2nd rounder according to the value board. And #12 is a much better situation for the Bengals.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yes Denver definitely has some nice power here. They now have the means to make a trade up in the 1st if they so choose to get whomever they wish. I would have to think a guy like Sanchez makes a lot of sense for an offense like that. My guess is we will start hearing "unknown sources" who state some team absolutely loves Sanchez up around 8-10 area. Which the Bengals are sitting pretty for because Denver isn't likely to trade up with Oakland for more than one reason, and all it would take to get to #6 from #12 is their 2nd rounder according to the value board. And #12 is a much better situation for the Bengals.
    That would be the kind of move I'd like but you know the bungals.

part of BBN

I have been a Bronco fan for a long time and losing Cutler irked me in particular because the defense was the major problem last season IMO.
    That being said, I would hope they target a guy like Sanchez now that they have the QB situation.

People here in Chicago are pumped. It's been forever since they've had a decent QB. Now if they can just find some receivers...
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    People here in Chicago are pumped. It's been forever since they've had a decent QB. Now if they can just some receivers...
    Ochocinco for a 2nd rd pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    People here in Chicago are pumped. It's been forever since they've had a decent QB. Now if they can just find some receivers...
    Word is they are bringing in OU WR Juaquin Iglesias for a visit. If that's who Chicago drafts at #49, Bears fans should be stoked. The dude can flat out play.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    A expensive price to get the #1 quarterback Chicago has needed for some time. I have to think the Bears #1 picks the next 2 years would be in the middle of the first round, long after the blue chip prospects are gone. Bears management must have thought Cutler was worth the risk.
    The NFL has a point system to value picks, and I've heard the package the Bears offered at comparable to a #3 overall pick, plus Orton. You have to consider, if you had the #3 overall pick and Kyle Orton, would you trade them for one of the 5 or 6 most talent QBs in the game -- somebody who has already proven themselves professionally?

I don't think it's nearly the price some have made it out to be.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

"Jay Cutler, before next fall you're in need of a serious attitude adjustment young man. You better get your priorities straight. And watch out for that other crowd you're running with. Don't think I haven't noticed."

Here's a pretty good analysis on what the Bears gave up to land Cutler:

If you look at the chart that assigns numerical values to every pick (and the one that’s used by NFL teams in making trades), the No. 1 choice is worth a whopping 3,000 points. The picks the Bears surrendered in the first round (18th overall) and third round (84th) are worth only 900 and 170 points, respectively. And assuming the Bears are at least slightly better this season than they were last year, next year’s first-round pick will be somewhere in the 20s. Plus I’d much rather have a proven commodity who still has upside and can get better like Cutler than rely on unknowns in the draft. The money under the salary cap the Bears will save by not paying two first-round picks is also a huge positive moving forward.
    http://www.chicagobears.com/news/Cha...?story_id=5711

That was really the point I think I was trying to make. It's never good if you trade 2 first round picks, but the value of the picks they were surrendering was a lot lower at 18 and one next year in the high 20's, then it would be if they had 2 picks in the top 5. I think the Bears made a very good trade.FWIW, does anyone know a place you can get one of those charts that assigns numerical values to draft picks?
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 04-06-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    FWIW, does anyone know a place you can get one of those charts that assigns numerical values to draft picks?
    Here you go: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2410670

I wonder how Chicago feels about Cutler now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I wonder how Chicago feels about Cutler now.
    Cutler reminds me of a .500 QB at best. He will make some great throws, but will also make some awful throws. He is a poor Brett Favre to me. Right now he sure isn't worth what Chicago paid to get him.

I never understood what Cutler did to be labeled a franchise QB to begin with. He looks great in a workout. He's the modern day Jeff George

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I never understood what Cutler did to be labeled a franchise QB to begin with. He looks great in a workout. He's the modern day Jeff George
    Jeff George is a great analogy. Million dollar arm and a ten cent brain.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?