Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the latest on the roster?

What's the latest on the roster?

seems like by this time every year I'm already in tune with the final 25 man, rotation, etc... did I miss the bus? I gotta know, am I in or am I heading to Louisville?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: What's the latest on the roster?

Jocketty has said that the 30 that are currently still with the club will all be heading north for the two "futures" games and that the final decisions will be made Sunday (the deadline).

Jonny Gomes reportedly won the righty bat platoon spot for left field. But Sheffield may be acquired in which case Gomes may not have a role. Taveras got hurt so Gomes and Sheff could both stay, but if Taveras is out it's more likely Darnell MacDonald would stay to play some centerfield.

Nix probably will beat out Castillo as the lefty bench bat, except if the Reds decide that Castillo is more versatile and should stay. Or, the Reds could pick up Geoff Jenkins or Frank Catalanatto as the lefty bench guy which could send Nix and Castillo to AAA. If Taveras is out, the Reds could keep both Nix (to play some CF) and either Jenkins or Catalanotto or Castillo.

Rosales and Janish are competing for the last infield spot. Unless Hairston or Gonzalez isn't ready, in which case both Rosales and Janish could stay. Also the Reds are rumored to be after a young AL shortstop. If he's acquired and Hairston and Gonzalez are both ok then both Rosales and Janish could go down to AAA.

Owings seemed to have beaten out Bailey for the last rotation spot except Bailey excelled in his last outing so he could get it. Either Owings or Bailey could wind up pitching long relief in which case Massett could leave.

There's also a rumor that Pedro Martinez could sign as the fifth starter, which could move Owings to relief and Bailey to AAA. Or Martinez, Bailey, and Owings could all stay with Massett and one other reliever leaving.

Of course, Arroyo could be DL'd or either Arroyo or Harang traded which would open a spot to keep Martinez, if acquired, and two of Bailey, Massett and Owings.

Bray and Herrera are competing for the last lefty spot in the pen. It's possible, though unlikely, that both Bray and Herrera could stay. It's also possible, though unlikely, that both could go leaving Rhodes as the only lefty but making room for three of Martinez, Bailey, Owings and Massett.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-03-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

There is no way Pedro will sign with the Reds, but I have to admit I'd love it if he did.

When are MLB teams going to learn to stock up on pitching? You shouldn't go into the season with five starting pitchers; you should go into the season with seven. Because at least one or two are going to get hurt and at least one or two are not going to perform up to expectations. Even if Owings and Bailey look good, get me some Pedro. That is the fast track to being a contender this year. If the Reds always have five solid starting pitchers, they will be in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    There is no way Pedro will sign with the Reds, but I have to admit I'd love it if he did.

When are MLB teams going to learn to stock up on pitching? You shouldn't go into the season with five starting pitchers; you should go into the season with seven. Because at least one or two are going to get hurt and at least one or two are not going to perform up to expectations. Even if Owings and Bailey look good, get me some Pedro. That is the fast track to being a contender this year. If the Reds always have five solid starting pitchers, they will be in the race.
    You can never have enough pitching. It is cliche' because it is true. I believe that teams use an average of 10 starters during the season.

However, I can't believe that Pedro would pick the Reds over the Mets or anyone else, unless the Reds were the only team to match his price of $4M, and I definitely don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

I agree. But I think Pedro is a different situation. He doesn't have the gas to start pitching in early April and last all the way through the season. We saw what happened with Clemens when he came back and would start pitching in May. He still didn't have the gas to hold up into late September. Ideally for Pedro he would use all of April and May getting in good condition and then start pitching in June. IMO if you get 20 overall starts out of Pedro you are doing good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Jonny Gomes reportedly won the righty bat platoon spot for left field. But Sheffield may be acquired in which case Gomes may not have a role. Taveras got hurt so Gomes and Sheff could both stay, but if Taveras is out it's more likely Darnell MacDonald would stay to play some centerfield.

Nix probably will beat out Castillo as the lefty bench bat, except if the Reds decide that Castillo is more versatile and should stay. Or, the Reds could pick up Geoff Jenkins or Frank Catalanatto as the lefty bench guy which could send Nix and Castillo to AAA. If Taveras is out, the Reds could keep both Nix (to play some CF) and either Jenkins or Catalanotto or Castillo.

Rosales and Janish are competing for the last infield spot. Unless Hairston or Gonzalez isn't ready, in which case both Rosales and Janish could stay. Also the Reds are rumored to be after a young AL shortstop. If he's acquired and Hairston and Gonzalez are both ok then both Rosales and Janish could go down to AAA.

Owings seemed to have beaten out Bailey for the last rotation spot except Bailey excelled in his last outing so he could get it. Either Owings or Bailey could wind up pitching long relief in which case Massett could leave.

There's also a rumor that Pedro Martinez could sign as the fifth starter, which could move Owings to relief and Bailey to AAA. Or Martinez, Bailey, and Owings could all stay with Massett and one other reliever leaving.

Of course, Arroyo could be DL'd or either Arroyo or Harang traded which would open a spot to keep Martinez, if acquired, and two of Bailey, Massett and Owings.

Bray and Herrera are competing for the last lefty spot in the pen. It's possible, though unlikely, that both Bray and Herrera could stay. It's also possible, though unlikely, that both could go leaving Rhodes as the only lefty but making room for three of Martinez, Bailey, Owings and Massett.
    [announcer voice]...thank you for watching "As The Clubhouse Turns."

Seriously, though, good information. There are a lot of things to work through in the next few days.

30 players left on the last day of Spring Training is unusual for the Reds. Thought it might be fun to predict/suggest the final moves. Signing guys who are available is free game and so is dealing guys away for a PTBNL, but lets try to be realistic and avoid making trade suggestions where the Reds acquire some other team's player. Those can be fun, but not here. The Nick Masset for Jimmy Rollins deal just isn't going to happen. Also, try to avoid things that will obviously not occur. As much as many of us would like to Free Willy, even I accept that he is the CF and lead-off man.

I'll start:

1. Option Wilkin Castillo, Homer Bailey and Danny Rae Herrera
    2. DFA Norris Hopper
    3. Sign Geoff Jenkins as a Lefty bat
    4. Bronson Arroyo to the DL
    5. In a Dustyesque move, purchase the contract of Darnell McDonald and release Johnny Gomes and Laynce Nix (this is more prediction than preference).

On Sunday the 12th, option Paul Janish to AAA and activate Arroyo to start that day's game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    30 players left on the last day of Spring Training is unusual for the Reds. Thought it might be fun to predict/suggest the final moves. Signing guys who are available is free game and so is dealing guys away for a PTBNL, but lets try to be realistic and avoid making trade suggestions where the Reds acquire some other team's player. Those can be fun, but not here. The Nick Masset for Jimmy Rollins deal just isn't going to happen. Also, try to avoid things that will obviously not occur. As much as many of us would like to Free Willy, even I accept that he is the CF and lead-off man.

I'll start:

1. Option Wilkin Castillo, Homer Bailey and Danny Rae Herrera
    2. DFA Norris Hopper
    3. Sign Geoff Jenkins as a Lefty bat
    4. Bronson Arroyo to the DL
    5. In a Dustyesque move, purchase the contract of Darnell McDonald and release Johnny Gomes and Laynce Nix (this is more prediction than preference).

On Sunday the 12th, option Paul Janish to AAA and activate Arroyo to start that day's game.
    Is my math screwy here or is that a 27 man roster?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

As I understand it:

Position players
    Locks (11)
    C: Hernandez, Hanigan
    1B: Votto
    2B: Phillips
    SS: Gonzalez
    3B: Encarnacion
    LF: Gomes/Dickerson
    CF: Taveras
    RF: Bruce
    UT: Hairston

2 spots open
    IF Janish
    UT Rosales
    OF Nix
    C/IF Castillo

I think Janish has made the team and it's between Rosales and Nix for the last spot. Nix has a slight edge due to his handedness. But with Janish on the roster, Hairston can be a full time OF and Nix wouldn't be as needed. Tough call.

Pitchers
    Locks (10)
    SP: Harang, Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto
    RP: Cordero, Weathers, Rhodes, Burton, Lincoln, Massett

1 starting spot open
    SP Owings
    SP Bailey

I think Owings has the spot. It's not just his performance but that Bailey only has 1 option left. If he starts and falters, the Reds are forced to burn his last option. But if Arroyo starts on the DL, we'll see him.

1 bullpen spot open:
    RP Bray
    RP Herrera

I think the Reds are leaning to Herrera. Personally, even though Herrera has earned his spot, I'd take Bray, as he's proven he can miss major league bats. Masset is really the guy who doesn't belong here. He doesn't really do anything well, but he'll stick because the Reds need a long man who can go multiple innings.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think the Reds are leaning to Herrera. Personally, even though Herrera has earned his spot, I'd take Bray, as he's proven he can miss major league bats. Masset is really the guy who doesn't belong here. He doesn't really do anything well, but he'll stick because the Reds need a long man who can go multiple innings.
    Is Masset really a lock? I have no evidence to contradict it, just hadn't heard that his spot was secure. I'd definitely rather have Bray and Herrera than Masset.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I think Owings has the spot. It's not just his performance but that Bailey only has 1 option left. If he starts and falters, the Reds are forced to burn his last option. But if Arroyo starts on the DL, we'll see him.

Even if the Reds send Bailey out immediately they use his option. If they send him down this season, now or later, they use his option. Then they can send him up and down freely this season, but after this season the option is gone. As I understand it.

I'm starting to wonder if the Reds might keep Bray, Herrera and Rhodes, three lefties, and send out Massett.

I think Rick essentially has it nailed:

Position players
    Locks (11)
    C: Hernandez, Hanigan
    1B: Votto
    2B: Phillips
    SS: Gonzalez
    3B: Encarnacion
    LF: Gomes/Dickerson
    CF: Taveras
    RF: Bruce
    UT: Hairston

2 open spots go to
    IF Janish
    OF Nix

Castillo and Rosales go to AAA

Pitchers

SP: Harang, Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Owings
    RP: Cordero, Weathers, Rhodes, Burton, Lincoln, Massett, Herrera

RP Bray to AAA or DL

Homer replaces Arroyo if Arroyo goes on DL as he should.

Gomes and Nix making roster mean that Hopper and one other body gets waived. My guess is Richar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if the Reds might keep Bray, Herrera and Rhodes, three lefties, and send out Massett.
    My understanding is that Massett has no options left so then he would have to clear waviers. I doubt that he would but it's possible.

If Massett clears waviers then you have to look at your 40 man roster. Who do you cut from that to keep Nick? Personally, I don't know the answer but I think, either way, unless he's pitching in Cincinnati this summer or you can trade him, he's gone from your organization. (famous shrug).

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Is my math screwy here or is that a 27 man roster?
    Your math is screwey. Start at 30. Remove three for Bailey, Herrera and Castillo, remove one for Arroyo, remove two for Gomes and Nix. Add one for Jenkins.

I don't think Gomes is a lock.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?