Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the latest on the roster?

Re: What's the latest on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Even if the Reds send Bailey out immediately they use his option. If they send him down this season, now or later, they use his option. Then they can send him up and down freely this season, but after this season the option is gone. As I understand it.
    Me, too, except I also think there's an exception if he's called up again before 20 days.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Even if the Reds send Bailey out immediately they use his option. If they send him down this season, now or later, they use his option. Then they can send him up and down freely this season, but after this season the option is gone. As I understand it.

I'm starting to wonder if the Reds might keep Bray, Herrera and Rhodes, three lefties, and send out Massett.
    If he starts the season in AAA, his option is preserved -- as I understand it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If he starts the season in AAA, his option is preserved -- as I understand it.
    no
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

As far as I know, there's only 2 ways to send a player who's on the 40 man roster to the minors. One is by optioning him, which burns an option year unless the player spends less than 20 days in the minors all season. And the other would be to remove him from the 40 man roster, which isn't even worth mentioning because the player would have to clear waivers.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Found a nice primer at http://www.kffl.com/article.php/100555/236
    Options

* After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft.
    * Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.
    * When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he can be "optioned out" - sent up and down - as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.
    * "Out of options" means a player has been in the minors in three different seasons. Beginning with his fourth as a pro, to be sent down again he has to clear waivers.
    I stand corrected.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?