Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    163

    Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Sorry for not posting this in the game threads but I don't have access.

    I just got back from the exhibition game between the Reds and the AA Carolina Mudcats and the Reds looked awful. They played pretty much their opening day starting lineup except McDonald was in CF and Hairston played SS. Arroyo gave up 6 runs in 3 innings then Cordero gave up 4 more in the next couple of innings. I was disappointed, they really looked bad both in the field and at the plate. I don't remember all the details but I do remember 3 misplayed balls in the outfield and one throwing error by Hairston on a DP ball. On one play Dickerson was going after a flyball along the left field foul line and he fell over the side wall out of the playing field. When he got back in the playing field he couldn't find the ball and the Mudcats got an inside the park homerun. McDonald dropped a flyball and Bruce misplayed one off the wall in right field. The Reds starters played 5 innings then gave way to the subs.

    On the positive side Yonder Alonso looked really good, he hit one out off of Arroyo in his first AB and played really good defense at first. I wouldn't be surprised if he's up in Cincy this fall. The only real highlight for the Reds was a solo homerun by Dickerson.

    The Reds starters played 5 innings then gave way to the subs.

    My personal highlight was getting to meet Mr. Castellini after the game. He and Marty Brennaman came walking by right in the middle of the crowd as we were leaving. I don't think most of the people even knew who he was. I walked over, shook hands and said hello, thanked him for trying to rebuild the Reds. He was very friendly. I hope they come down here again next year.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Youngstown,OH
    Posts
    352

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Just read the recap and box.

    Ye Gods. Can we hit the ball, please?

    Pretty incredible how the AA club absolutely killed them. Arroyo may have to hit the DL along w/ Cordero. They gave up 9 runs on 10 hits in 4 IP. Not good at all. I don't care what you say about spring training, you don't want to see your starting lineup getting handcuffed by Dallas Buck and your pitchers getting shelled by AA hitters.

    The good news is that the AA team has some real studs. I can't wait to see them in the bigs, in the place of half our current roster.

    Ah, 2010.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Yikes!
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  5. #4
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    At least the team didn't lose to a junior college:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,152646

  6. #5
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    Sorry for not posting this in the game threads but I don't have access.

    I just got back from the exhibition game between the Reds and the AA Carolina Mudcats and the Reds looked awful. They played pretty much their opening day starting lineup except McDonald was in CF and Hairston played SS. Arroyo gave up 6 runs in 3 innings then Cordero gave up 4 more in the next couple of innings. I was disappointed, they really looked bad both in the field and at the plate. I don't remember all the details but I do remember 3 misplayed balls in the outfield and one throwing error by Hairston on a DP ball. On one play Dickerson was going after a flyball along the left field foul line and he fell over the side wall out of the playing field. When he got back in the playing field he couldn't find the ball and the Mudcats got an inside the park homerun. McDonald dropped a flyball and Bruce misplayed one off the wall in right field. The Reds starters played 5 innings then gave way to the subs.

    On the positive side Yonder Alonso looked really good, he hit one out off of Arroyo in his first AB and played really good defense at first. I wouldn't be surprised if he's up in Cincy this fall. The only real highlight for the Reds was a solo homerun by Dickerson.

    The Reds starters played 5 innings then gave way to the subs.

    My personal highlight was getting to meet Mr. Castellini after the game. He and Marty Brennaman came walking by right in the middle of the crowd as we were leaving. I don't think most of the people even knew who he was. I walked over, shook hands and said hello, thanked him for trying to rebuild the Reds. He was very friendly. I hope they come down here again next year.
    Thanks for the info. I listened to some of it.
    I know it is ST but the part that worried me most is Cordero getting knocked around again and the offense still sputters as it has for the most part over the last few weeks.
    Not hits as in averages but as in putting several hits together and scoring some runs.
    AS you stated, Alonso and the rest of the young guys looked mighty impressive.
    Last edited by jmac; 04-04-2009 at 08:31 AM.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    This just shows how terribly inept this Offense is.

    I'm not too worried about the pitching, the pitchers will be fine in the long run.

    Our "new and improved" Defense is pathetic, and we gave up a lot of offense to gain nothing on the D side, IMO.

    And to think some folks are projecting us as a Dark Horse. I guess that depends on what end of the horse you're looking at?!?! One particular end may look pretty dark, I'll give you that!

    Right now, I'll be happy to not be the only 6th place team in MLB. I think there is a decent chance we might be able to overtake the Pirates.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  8. #7
    Member dunner13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    607

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    I think we should take this game with a grain of salt, you have a bunch of major leaguers who probably didnt really want to be there, knowing this was pretty much just a publicity game. Then abunch of minor leaguers who are all pumped up about this game and getting to show off their stuff. Im just saying I dont think im ready to give up on the whole season because of this game.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Youngstown,OH
    Posts
    352

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I think we should take this game with a grain of salt, you have a bunch of major leaguers who probably didnt really want to be there, knowing this was pretty much just a publicity game. Then abunch of minor leaguers who are all pumped up about this game and getting to show off their stuff. Im just saying I dont think im ready to give up on the whole season because of this game.
    If it was just one game, I don't think anybody would be reacting like this. But, it was pretty much all week that the offense and defense struggled.

    Actually all spring, in fact. For spring training, in the National League, we are last in avg., tied for last in slugging and .001 out of last for obp.

    I'd need a whole pile of salt to ignore that
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

  10. #9
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,855

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    At this point, if you're not concerned about Arroyo, Corderdo and our total and complete lack of anything that resembles a major league offense, you've got your head in the sand. I am extremely worried. I just laid out 250.00 to watch this bunch this season on cable.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  11. #10
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    One game isnt the issue but rather a continuation of the last couple of weeks. I really hope the reds get out of the gate well though.
    Most everyone agrees, ST was entirely too long this year.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    2

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Thank you Carolina Red for referring me to this web site.

    I also attended the AA Mudcats game and yes, the Reds did not look good, but my glass remains half full. Opening Day is still a day away and we have the entire season ahead of us and I will remain optimistic.

    Remember last year, during spring training, we looked pretty good and you know how it ended. Let's assume that Dusty Baker took this time to figure it all out win or loose in spring training.

    We missed a bullet by not getting Sheffield. The last thing we need is his thug attitude making a mark on our young players.

    Always optimistic, Go REDS!!!!
    POOLPLR2000

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    At this point, if you're not concerned about Arroyo, Corderdo and our total and complete lack of anything that resembles a major league offense, you've got your head in the sand. I am extremely worried. I just laid out 250.00 to watch this bunch this season on cable.
    I agree. However I'm the Least worried about Arroyo. Dude hasn't missed a start since he's been a Red- restate for emphasis - Not Missed a Start Since he's been a Red; over 3 years. He's got a rubber arm and has played through this Carpal stuff before. He'll be fine. He'll get his 200+ innings of Average to Above Average MLB innings, double digit wins, etc, etc...

    Cordero looked like crud, but relievers usually need that adrenaline that comes from a real pressure situation, so I'm not as concerned with him.

    Now, our offense -
    It went from lower 20% last year to something that currently resembles lower 2% this year in just about every statistical category in MLB. It is beyond pathetic.
    I think there are more than an number of AAA teams that are miles ahead of this MLB team offensively. We've got about three guys - Votto, EE, and Bruce, probably in that order, that are above Average offensively, and one of those guys is a hack at his Defensive position.
    BP is going to have to make a huge comeback in order for this offense to be watchable, and somehow I don't think he's Ever going to get as much to hit as he did when Griffey and Dunn were sandwiching him two years ago.

    All this "speed" sure isn't helping anyone get on base, get in scoring position, or score. The old adage "you can't steal first base" definitely applies here.

    And, the "defense" looks to be worse as well. Not sure how that's possible, but it's true. Agon is going to have to play 125 games at SS, at 90% or more, otherwise we've got either Hairtson (horrible defensively) or Janish (horrible offensively) as our plan B's. E Gads!

    At this point, all we've got left is a Tampa Bay type hope - where 99% of everything goes from rags to riches, and only 1% - maybe our sacrifice fly conversion percentage - goes south. Otherwise, I think we should start planning for who we want to take with the first pick in the 2010 Draft.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,282

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    Sorry for not posting this in the game threads but I don't have access.

    I just got back from the exhibition game between the Reds and the AA Carolina Mudcats and the Reds looked awful. They played pretty much their opening day starting lineup except McDonald was in CF and Hairston played SS. Arroyo gave up 6 runs in 3 innings then Cordero gave up 4 more in the next couple of innings. I was disappointed, they really looked bad both in the field and at the plate. I don't remember all the details but I do remember 3 misplayed balls in the outfield and one throwing error by Hairston on a DP ball. On one play Dickerson was going after a flyball along the left field foul line and he fell over the side wall out of the playing field. When he got back in the playing field he couldn't find the ball and the Mudcats got an inside the park homerun. McDonald dropped a flyball and Bruce misplayed one off the wall in right field. The Reds starters played 5 innings then gave way to the subs.

    On the positive side Yonder Alonso looked really good, he hit one out off of Arroyo in his first AB and played really good defense at first. I wouldn't be surprised if he's up in Cincy this fall. The only real highlight for the Reds was a solo homerun by Dickerson.

    The Reds starters played 5 innings then gave way to the subs.

    My personal highlight was getting to meet Mr. Castellini after the game. He and Marty Brennaman came walking by right in the middle of the crowd as we were leaving. I don't think most of the people even knew who he was. I walked over, shook hands and said hello, thanked him for trying to rebuild the Reds. He was very friendly. I hope they come down here again next year.
    I was at the game too, and will give more in the minors section, as they deserve the time, not this team on this night. I know it was only exhibition ball, but it was horrible. Hernandez was even worse then I feared at catcher-lazy and worthless behind the plate IMO. I was very dissapointed in the players and how they treated the fans-you would have thought the mighty Yankess were in town they were so snobby and rude. Met Eric Davis and told him he was my hero growing up, adn politely asked for an autograph, and he looked at me and replied "I'm not gonna do that for you man" and turned away. Clay Counsil, who pitched to Josh Hamilton was my highlight of the evening, very friendly guy and fun to talk to. The rest of the night kind of stunk overall, esp after being so excited to finally see my team in person.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,282

    Re: Reds Lose to AA Mudcats 12 to 4

    Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Just read the recap and box.

    Ye Gods. Can we hit the ball, please?

    Pretty incredible how the AA club absolutely killed them. Arroyo may have to hit the DL along w/ Cordero. They gave up 9 runs on 10 hits in 4 IP. Not good at all. I don't care what you say about spring training, you don't want to see your starting lineup getting handcuffed by Dallas Buck and your pitchers getting shelled by AA hitters.

    The good news is that the AA team has some real studs. I can't wait to see them in the bigs, in the place of half our current roster.

    Ah, 2010.
    It wasnt the Mudcats AA team, it was a collection of players from all levels. Still whipped us the same though in the end....My friends who were there and not Reds fans teased me that the Reds stink that bad, or our future is that bright....


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25