Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From BA: Frazier to LF, Valaika to play some 2B, note on Buck's velocity

Re: From BA: Frazier to LF, Valaika to play some 2B, note on Buck's velocity

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If not one of these two, then Frazier or Francisco, and likely other prospects. The Reds find themselves with a nice glut of young offensive talent. I expect it to be turned into pitching, or a stud at a position of need, like C or SS.
    A very nice problem to have...finally. Definitely one thing we can thank Krivsky for, along with the ownership change to spend more $$$ on overslot draftees and in the international area.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I look for the longer-term answer at SS to be acquired in a trade involving a starter and perhaps Brandon Phillips once Valaika has proven him replaceable. I don't think we can wait as long as it will take for Cozart to arrive. The Frazier move seems to me just a way to get both him and Francisco into the lineup every day, but it seems possible that, in the longer term, there's just not going to be room for one of those guys. I expect Alonso to force a move of Joey Votto to LF, if not by the beginning of 2010, then by mid-season. That leaves Francisco, EE, and Frazier to contend over 3rd, with Dickerson, Stubbs, and Heisey in the picture for CF. I suspect Walt is not going to compromise at all about defense at SS and we're going to have some talent to dangle in acquiring one--starters, some of these infield parts, some relief talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    A very nice problem to have...finally. Definitely one thing we can thank Krivsky for, along with the ownership change to spend more $$$ on overslot draftees and in the international area.
    Juan Francisco was signed during O'Brien's General Managership.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Juan Francisco was signed during O'Brien's General Managership.
    It was a generalization.

Phillips to short and Valaika to second base. Could be a nice pairing for the next few seasons.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

This is a great problem to have. Too many good young players.
    Cooper's rule of prospects: if you have 5 grade B prospects:

1 will break out.
    1 will regress in a generally big way.
    3 will maintain where they are at.

That's what's nice about the Reds system: lots of B prospects.

A good organization would be able to ID which ones will break out and who will fail, thuis being able to trade the one that will regress.

I'd deal Encarnacion, Phillips, Harang, Arroyo, Cordero. Weathers & make someone take Taveras over the next 18 mos.or so. Go all-in for 2010. Try to shore up SS, CA and be on the look out for pitching and younger prospects.

1B Alonzo
    2B Valaika
    SS (Acquisition)/Cozart
    3B Francisco/Rosales
    LF Votto/Frazier
    CF Dickerson/Stubbs
    RF Bruce/Dorn
    CA (Acquisition)/Hanigan

Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Owings
    (Acquisition) (or) Thompson (or) Ramirez
    Viola
    Herrera
    Bray
    Fisher
    (Acquisition) (or) Stewart (or) Watson (or) Guerrero
    Roenicke
    Burton

Yeah, that's 26. Dorn or a reliever would be the odd man out. If the lefties get most of the starts in the lineup though, you could use Dorn's LH bat off the bench. A young LH starter would be nice and let Viola be a LH power arm in the BP. I wouldn't mind seeing them add young closing prospect either.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-04-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Ryan "The Vet" Hanigan

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Ryan "The Vet" Hanigan
    Or "Votto the Vet."

Yeah, it probably won't shake out that way, but it's amazing to at least be able to imagine that the Reds could have a lineup that young and (mostly) homegrown.

I'd also like to see them at least get Frazier some RF starts at L'Ville this year to see if he can do a decent job. I'd keep him in a "super utility" role and get him at least occasional starts at each of the four corners where we'd have all lefties.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-04-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Also, as JJ noted in an email with me, the pitchers were throwing against the wind, which was quite strong. I am very excited about Dallas Buck at this point.
    Agreed. I think Buck is poised to have a breakout season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't get taking a guy who will have a difficult road to the majors (Francisco and his abysmal OBP) and giving him a position of team need (corner IF) while taking a guy who looks to have an easier road to the majors (Frazier) and giving him a position where there is an anticipated logjam (LF).

This just seems like moronic talent deployment to me -- especially after drafting a guy like Alonso.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't get taking a guy who will have a difficult road to the majors (Francisco and his abysmal OBP) and giving him a position of team need (corner IF) while taking a guy who looks to have an easier road to the majors (Frazier) and giving him a position where there is an anticipated logjam (LF).

This just seems like moronic talent deployment to me -- especially after drafting a guy like Alonso.

I think Francisco's stock shot way up this offseason and with it looking like Votto, Bruce and Alonzo manning at least three corner spots, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a strong RH bat with some versatility in their glove.

Frazier can always move back to third if Francisco falters, but right now, I'd say the Reds view Francisco as the stronger prospect.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Frazier can always move back to third if Francisco falters, but right now, I'd say the Reds view Francisco as the stronger prospect.
    Which honestly shouldn't surprise me. The Reds major league roster is almost entirely devoid of high-OBP players, why should they value such skills in the minors?

I don't get the love for Francisco at all -- sure, when he hits the ball, it tends to stay hit, but the guy strikes out at an alarming rate and rarely walks. In order to be valuable, the guy is probably going to have to hit in the .310 range. Otherwise, we're looking at the second coming of Wily Mo Pena, only with a better glove.

That has it's uses (such as acquiring pitching via trade), but it's not something I want to value at the expense of more complete ballplayers, like Todd Frazier.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 04-04-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If you look at how Jocketty has worked over the years, it follows closely to the John Schuerholz model. Minor leaguers are treated not just as future players for your team, but as organizational assets to be deployed to the benefit of the big league team. Let's be real here, it's extremely unlikely that all of Alonso, Frazier, Valiaka, Fransisco, etc. will be Reds -- even if they do pan out. At this point, you want to maximize the value of the most guys you can.

I would not be surprised at all to see the Reds in the trade market for an impact player this summer if they're in the hunt -- Holliday and Bedard come to mind.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I absolutely LOVE this teams minor league system right now...

So much high-end possible talent.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?