Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you happy

Things that make you happy

We seem to be a negative bunch around here, with threads about things that irritate you, or pet peeves, or bad driving habits, or Wily Tavares or artists you cannot stand or ugly celebrities, etc, but what type of things - said, done, sung, or just out there - make people happy or make you smile or you just flat out enjoy

For me, I got to see my 11 month old niece over the weekend for the first time since Christmas, and it was the first time I saw her walk. Words can't express how much I adore her.

Going outside at lunch today and enjoying the beauty of the weather felt so wonderful.

Watching 2 days of NCAA tourney basketball last Thursday and Friday while taking some days off work was enjoyable, to say the least.

I volunteer at a local museum and being able to help out there is something I enjoy, even though I'm basically working for free.

I know this thread is perhaps a bit corny, but I thought maybe something different than the norm might create some interest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Things that make you happy

My thing to unwind, and it will seem odd, when it's nice out I like to sit outside on the deck and surf on the internet while smoking a cigar. It's peaceful and quiet.

Going down to my friends farm in Kentucky and shooting some guns is fun to.

I like to get out for lunch to. If I take my lunch to work and eat in, it seems like the day lasts forever. If I'm not hungry, sometimes I'll just go for a ride and pop the sunroof open.

Enjoying a cold beer on the beach or on my deck when the first warm day of the year arrives.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

A Chipotle burrito.

Rice, black beans, chicken, mild tomato and tomatillio green medium salsas, cheese, and sour cream.

Always makes the day a little bit better.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

My better half
    My son
    Luna, Molly, Boss Kitty, and Yoshi
    Fantasy baseball
    Richard Dawson on Family Feud
    Roger Ebert's movie reviews
    Kafe Kokopelli in Dade City, Florida

Just a few off the top of my head.

My wife and son.
    My dog.

A particularly good book (recently Adverbs by Daniel Handler)

A really good album (recently You May Already Be Dreaming by Neva Dinova)

Cooking a big meal from scratch (recently chili rellenos)

Spending time with family (I live 3,000 miles or more from the rest of my immediate family)

A big sporting event (bowl games, NCAA tournament, stretch runs)

None are especially unique, but I do find them to be immensely enjoyable.

Baseball in almost any form.

Spending time with my wife and kids.

Watching/listening to our 24 year-old daughter make her 19 year-old brother laugh.

Watching/listening to our 19 year-old son make his 24 year-old sister laugh.

Talking baseball or politics with our oldest.

Drinking an ice cold draft beer in an icey cold glass mug.

Drinking more ice cold draft beer in icey cold glass mugs.

I'm happy just typing this stuff.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Whenever I hug my daughters or my wife I immediately feel happier....playing with my dog...listening to some good Elvis songs(Presley that is)

Baseball.
    Getting some good, old baseball cards. Recently got a '57 Brooks Robinson rookie.
    Watching a really good movie. Hello, Wall-E.
    Listening to one of my many favorite songs while walking down the street on a very pleasing day.
    A very good jog (complete with some very good music).
    Writing.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I have my window up today. I'm within hearing distance of a baseball field.I've been hearing "ping"..."ping"..."ping" for the last hour. It made me smile.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Skiing

Accomplishment - Training for a marathon. It feels great to accomplish a real long run. Only for a short while that is because then the pain starts up.

Coming home and seeing my dog excited to see me.

Shorts, the grill, a cold beer, and a pleasant evening.

Chipotle, especially when you get a good burrito.

cheese, maps, electric fans, secret passages, ginger ale, squeeze plays, those German helmets with the spike on top, hoop earrings (on women and maybe pirates), 80's National Lampoons, jumbalaya, the aisle seat, Golden Gate Park, grizzled old dogs, the mini-chaos that surrounds a muni bus when its electric moorings come loose and hanging out in crummy bar, shooting pool & drinking.

80's National Lampoons
    I cut my humor-teeth on those. Still have most of them intact, and the rest are on DVD-ROM. The one with Pete on the cover, that contains a parody of The Sporting News? Sheer genius.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?