Re: 2009 Dayton Dragons roster

Im surprised he wasn't released over the winter

He isn't that good

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Im surprised he wasn't released over the winter

He isn't that good
    He is 20 years old and can hit 98 MPH on the gun. You don't release guys like that. You hold on to them and hope they can find their control.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but I thought he turned 21 earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm sorry to nitpick, but I thought he turned 21 earlier this year.
    Its fine.... I didn't look. Either way, you still don't release an arm like that. Not at a young age.

Ravin reportedly showed improved command in spring training. His velocity last season in Dayton was nowhere near what the reputation indicated. He generally pitched at 90-91. He would pop a 93 once or twice a night.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Ravin reportedly showed improved command in spring training. His velocity last season in Dayton was nowhere near what the reputation indicated. He generally pitched at 90-91. He would pop a 93 once or twice a night.
    Well as scouts say, if you can do it once, you have the ability to do it again. Ravin wasn't working anywhere near that 95+ range, but he certainly has the ability to hit 95+ as he has done it before.

Hopefully his command is better this season. He had some rough times last year at finding the strikezone. Its like one inning he had some control then the next he just couldn't find the plate. I didn't get to see him much, so I can't say that maybe his mechanics were inconsistent, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was something like that holding him back last season.

Needless to say, this is a make or break year for Ravin. He has to show some improvement.

The Reds said goodbye to a couple of big investments last week when they released Arneson and Conatser. Ravin would be the next if he doesn't start to show something.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Needless to say, this is a make or break year for Ravin. He has to show some improvement.

The Reds said goodbye to a couple of big investments last week when they released Arneson and Conatser. Ravin would be the next if he doesn't start to show something.
    Are you sure Conatser was released? Here is what Baseball America said last week:
    Cincinnati Reds
    Released: RHP Rafael Ceballos, RHP Juan Rafael, RHP Efrain Rodriguez, RHP Jeremy Vinyard, RHP Dan Zeffiro, LHP Jamie Arneson, LHP Aaron Fultz, C Todd Waller, 1B Mike McKennon, 1B Daryle Ward, 2B Darrick Hale
    Traded: 2B Drew Anderson to Rays for future considerations
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Ramon Ramirez, 2B Danny Richar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Are you sure Conatser was released? Here is what Baseball America said last week:
    Cincinnati Reds
    Released: RHP Rafael Ceballos, RHP Juan Rafael, RHP Efrain Rodriguez, RHP Jeremy Vinyard, RHP Dan Zeffiro, LHP Jamie Arneson, LHP Aaron Fultz, C Todd Waller, 1B Mike McKennon, 1B Daryle Ward, 2B Darrick Hale
    Traded: 2B Drew Anderson to Rays for future considerations
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Ramon Ramirez, 2B Danny Richar
    Cincinnati Reds
    Released: RHP Derrick Conatser, RHP Enrique Garcia, RHP Justin James, RHP Luis Pardo, LHP Ron Flores, LHP David Torcise, C Eddy Rodriguez, OF Adam Greenberg, OF Jacque Jones
    Recalled: OF Norris Hopper
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Daryl Thompson, OF Norris Hopper
    Outrighthed to Triple-A and removed from 40-man: OF Norris Hopper

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...3076#more-3076

More whining from Marc Katz:

Reds don't pay enough attention to Dragons' performance

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Monday, April 06, 2009

If you had enough money to own a major league baseball team, what kind would you want to have: one that won games and made money or one that lost games and lost money?

That's an easy one. How about one that won the pennant and World Series and lost $10 million, or a team that was just okay but made $10 million?

I use this to illustrate a point not often made by general managers. They think their only goal is to win, but finances often drive a team — say Florida — to tear up a champion just to save some bucks.

Trying to win and be cost efficient drives the Reds, but you've got to wonder if they're on a 3-year, 5-year, 10-year or 20-year plan. They have developed players for their major league team, and have, but seemingly don't pay any attention to winning at the minor league level. Players are promoted in the middle — and sometimes toward the end — of pennant chases.

Worse, it happens often to the Dragons, just 50 miles from the major league team, which leads us to the bottom line discussion. The Dragons are supposed to create interest in the Reds, but if the fans here see only crummy teams, why would they be interested in seeing the same type of play in Cincinnati?

Not only that, this year's Dragons are starting with not one of what Baseball America calls the Reds' Top 30 prospects. Reds farm director Terry Reynolds said he doesn't pay much attention to BA, but I noticed he had almost all of those Top 30 on the Futures team he put together for last Saturday's exhibition against the Reds.

It probably won't matter much here. All the games are sold out. In Cincinnati, though, maybe it's time for a new plan.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spaudible.html

Woah, Enrique Garcia was released? He was pretty good at Miami and was drafted just last year. I was mildly interested in him.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Kinda surprised they released Eddy Rodriguez

I forgot about Evan Hildenbrandt until just now. I thought he would start the season in Dayton, but it appears as if he will begin the season in extended spring training. Hopefully he reaches Dayton sometime this summer.

Clayton Shunick is another notable omission from the Dayton roster.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-07-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Turn Off Ads?