Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Inability to throw strikes??

Inability to throw strikes??

Anyone else notice that all 3 pitchers (Harange, Herrera, and Lincoln) have struggled to throw strikes. Not sure what the problem is but that absolutely cannot afford to allow free passes this year if they expect to keep themselves in games. Reds pitchers have 6 walks through 6 innings, they have to improve this statistic.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Inability to throw strikes??

part of the problem was the umpire, he was not giving much at all on the outside corner.

RotoHester

Agree with the previous post.

Did you see the game by chance? The ump was absolutely squeezing the strike zone today. There were a NUMBER of very very close pitches that came in key situations that were almost all called for a ball.

I'm not concerned at all with the pitching I saw today. I am actually pleased with Harang's outing (although I'll hold judgement until he pitches in a little bit better weather conditions. It's a little easier to pitch well when the hitters can't see due to the rain hitting them in the face)

Would've been nice to have Lopez or Dunn today though!!

So let me get this straight. Harang goes 5 innings and gives up only 1 run to the Mets and he pitched bad? Come on!

Not saying Harang pitched bad. I said I am concerned by the amount of balls thrown by Reds pitchers today. Fortunately, not many of the walks came back to haunt the pitchers, but as we move into the summer months when the ball is traveling better in GAB, those walks will translate into runs scored for the opposing pitchers. I would rather the Reds get beat by pounding the strike zone and getting hit than nibble on the edges, especially the bullpen. They have to be able to throw strikes to be effective! I think our offense will be average at best so the pitching and defense will have to be above average if the Reds expect to break the string of sub-.500 seasons.

I agree about the ump yesterday being a big factor in the walks and high pitch counts.The Mets also had a few week infield hits along with some junk just falling in(some good defense could have helped with that).I felt like the pitching could have shut down the Mets offense even more if it wasn't for these factors.As it was 2 runs still is very good.

Yeah, poor CF play cost a run. Why wasn't Hairston in CF and McDonald in LF. I was close to the field in left, and on 2 of the mis-plays you could see frustration in Hairston's demeanor. "McDonald can play all three OF positions", (Walt/Dusty). Ahhh nope, he can't play CF. 3 screw-ups in 1 game ain't gettin' it.........

I'm going to say it again.....the inability to throw strikes killed us tonight. Harang was able to keep the walks from hurting but tonight it has been a different story. The Reds have now walked 13 batters in 16 innings. Not sure what Dick Pole is working on with these pitchers. Is anyone else getting sick of watching our pitchers dabble on the corners instead of pounding the zone and throwing strikes. I am getting sick of watching this team do the same old things year after year, it is getting frustrating!!

I agree that its getting a bit concerning.I still believe that if the defense is better there isn't as much as an issue.Errors lead to more ABs leading to more chance for walks.The E on the potential double play is what has turned the game tonight in favor of the Mets.Poor D is the biggest issue IMO.If the pitchers do what they did with good defense behind then we would be a little bit more ok with the walks.

Another possibility is that the poor defense and hitter's park has led Reds pitchers to believe that they must make perfect pitches. Hopefully, they will learn to trust their defense to convert....and hopefully, the defense will prove worthy of the trust.

Turn Off Ads?