Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Hi.

While I am more familiar with downtown (Reds games and the like), I do not know the area around the University of Cincinnati, so I'd like your all's input.

I will most likely be attending UC for graduate school in the fall of this year, so I'm trying to figure out where I'd like to live...

My possibilities:

-Live near campus and walk to class.

-Live away from campus and drive to class.

Wants:

-Safety. Furnished apartment preferably. Affordability, but not efficiency. Not too far from driving distance to campus. Possibly one bedroom. Possibly near a shopping center for groceries. Good living environment.

If possible, I'd like some recommendations to look for apartments in the vicinity of campus, and a little further away, but not more than 15 minutes driving. Although I'm 21, it doesn't matter much if I'm living near other college students. I'll be there, hopefully, for a year and half.

Also, what's parking like on the campus?

I've heard and searched some regarding the area near campus, but I don't know whether the areas are exactly what I'm looking for. After living 4 years on/near campus at UK, I'm more willing to drive to class since most of the classes would be grouped together and not spread out.

Lastly, I don't know whether the area around Cincinnati has many "new" apartment complexes that aren't outrageously priced, but I like most newer types of apartment complexes (ie, not insanely luxurious, but not a studio).

Budget: up to $650....though I hope not that much. :P [If I need more than that, just let me know]

Thanks in advance.

Also, any other tips or suggestions for living and school in Cincinnati are appreciated!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Plenty of affordable apts are within walking distance of campus. The neighborhoods are older and many may look slightly run down, but Corryville and University Heights are mostly students anyway. Clifton is nicer, but more expensive. How do you feel about roommates? The one area I would definitely avoid is Avondale.

As for parking at UC, there is only one word of advice: Dont. It is incredibly expensive at the on campus lots/garages, and they oversell the permits. You may find yourself with a permit but nowhere to use it.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Roommates...prefer none; though the less, the better.

Most of the apartments I've looked at (online) near campus are all hardwood floors and unfurnished, and like you said older and kinda run down...is there an alternative off-campus that isn't too far?

Parking. Seems like every university has parking problems. That will definitely factor into my decision, but I want to enjoy where I live since I'll only be up there from Sept to June and Sept to March.

Not sure if it's changed in the last few years, but when I went to UC I always parked on Wheeler Street heading down the hill. I always found a spot on Wheeler every single time. Sometimes I'd have to park fairly far down the hill (other side of Warner), but there was always a spot to park. Plus it always beat paying a couple hundred bucks for a parking pass every quarter.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Don't expect to find anything other than 12 month leases around campus. I'm convinced they don't exist. I've lived in Clifton, Fairview and Corryville. Clifton is well-kept and eclectic. Fairview is primary run down houses rented by students. Corryville is probably the least safe neighborhood of the three. (Although I never had an issue with safety living near campus). It's been four years since I've lived in Clifton and I still miss it.

You may think that parking at other campuses is bad, but I guarantee you it isn't more expensive than it is at UC. Expect to pay at least $250/qr. for on campus parking if you can get it. Avoid it if you can. Despite this, many grad students choose to live in Hyde Park and Oakley and commute.

Most area rentals are owned by a handful of different companies. It's difficult to avoid going through any of them.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'll add this about parking on Wheeler (or any street near UC for that matter ... heck any place at UC whatsoever, even a campus garage/lot). Don't park a nice and/or new car down there.

You shouldn't have to worry about theft or anything so long as you don't leave any attractive items sit in your car where they could be seen, but you're likely to acquire some dents, dings and scratches. If you're parking on the street, expect your bumpers to get hit by other people attempting to parallel park. If you're parking in a lot or garage, expect your doors to get dings from other people throwing their doors into you. I picked up several door dings down at UC during my time there, though fortunately I had a car that merely served its purpose for transportation rather than something extremely nice.

If your car is such that you don't care about those things, you're in good shape. If you have a nice car that you'd like to keep nice, my suggestion is to buy a beater specifically for UC commuting.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Thanks for the input. Any more is appreciated.

I've been looking on Craigslist, and it seems every place near campus has hardwood floors and is not furnished. Even looking outside of campus, I haven't found much to my liking online. I'm apprehensive about living with others near campus because I will most likely need quiet time for studying, and I don't care too much for college partying all the time. I haven't accepted UC's offer, but it's looking like Cincinnati will be where I will go.

UC's campus is not as notoriously "ghetto" as a lot of people claim, but I personally would avoid living in Clifton Heights (anything south of Calhoun/McMillan). One of my friends had a house there (3 blocks south of McMillan) and woke up more than once to a gun in his face.

Avondale is pretty crappy as well as a previous poster mentioned.

I used to teach at Cincinnati State (down Ludlow from Campus) and that area (Clifton Gaslight) is actually very nice and within walking distance from campus. If I were forced to live anywhere near UC, it would be there if I could afford it.

I will throw this out there. You may want to look in the Madsonville, Oakely, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout area. IMO the area is nicer than the campus area but is only a 10 minute drive to campus. Certain areas may be very expensive but you should be able to find something reasonable. The area has turned very Yuppie as of late and there should be people looking for roommates.

I used to teach at Cincinnati State (down Ludlow from Campus) and that area (Clifton Gaslight) is actually very nice and within walking distance from campus. If I were forced to live anywhere near UC, it would be there if I could afford it.
    That's the area I lived in 25 years ago. I have buddy who owns a home behind the Skyline area. After living out off of RT 52 for most of his adult life (ion a country setting) he's digging the area there... though he said the surrounding area is nothing akin to how it was in the late 70's and early 80's (as in it's declined a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I will throw this out there. You may want to look in the Madsonville, Oakely, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout area. IMO the area is nicer than the campus area but is only a 10 minute drive to campus. Certain areas may be very expensive but you should be able to find something reasonable. The area has turned very Yuppie as of late and there should be people looking for roommates.
    I lived in Mt. Lookout for year and paid $550 I think with a roommate. It was a great place and I loved that area.
    I didn't go to UC or anything but drove down there quite a bit to meet up with friends and its a quick drive, but you'll run into the parking issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I lived in Mt. Lookout for year and paid $550 I think with a roommate. It was a great place and I loved that area.
    I didn't go to UC or anything but drove down there quite a bit to meet up with friends and its a quick drive, but you'll run into the parking issue.
    Great area, I had a friend who lived on Delta Ave in a big old house. Plus you can walk to the bars.

I would take a trip and scope out any areas first, I am a UC grad also, and there are lots of areas around campus that aren't very friendly. Personally, I would probably look around Mt. Lookout and the other areas these guys suggested, it's a small commute but at least you likely won't get shot or robbed.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I lived in Mt Lookout for two years. The nice thing about it for someone out of college is that it is a young area. You can walk to bars, restaurants, grocery, etc. Its a very young area to live in but it isn't trashy like a lot of campus housing is. Parking at UC could be an issue and you would need to get a pass but I would gladly pay a little extra not to live in a college area again.

Mt. Lookout, Oakley, Hyde Park (and even certain parts of Madisonville) would be a good bet in terms of price, but commuting to school at UC and parking is a pain in the butt.

Turn Off Ads?