Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Re: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    Does anyone know the area or the place of McMillian Manor?

Thanks.
    That's technically Mt. Auburn, just east of Auburn Avenue. Being right on McMillan means it's a sight better than the rest of the neighborhood.
    McMillan is a very busy street, so you may want to consider the noise factor. It's one way and multi lane.

If you wanted to walk over to the Corryville Kroger's, it will take you about ten minutes. Is that a safe walk? Well, it's urban Cincinnati, so you can get mugged anywhere. I used to walk all over Mt. Auburn and Corryville at night and I never had a problem. But I lived there a while and I knew the neighborhood and how to avoid trouble. Since you'd be on a major street, you should be fine by walking up McMillan to Auburn, then over to Kroger's.

And I don't think it is particularly unsafe to walk from those apartments to campus, which is not too much further than the Kroger's. You just need to pick your times. I'd be more careful later at night, for sure, but that's just sound advice in the city.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Considering my backyard is the Gene Snyder Freeway in Louisville, and the backyard to the apt complex here in Lexington is a train track, I might be able to handle the noise.

There are so many different parts of the city right around campus, it's hard to keep track. :

I understand it's urban Cincinnati and a few feet away from X area won't make it much safer, but I'm just trying to gauge, on average, which is considered to be safe in relative terms. Supposedly some students walk to campus from there, so that would be nice. I figure later at night I might drive and park on a side street or something if need be. I know it won't be like the relative ease of walking home from the library at UK at 3:30am.

So relative to Clifton and that area, would you say Mt. Auburn/McMillian is less safe?

Thanks

Thank you very much. While I would have to live with other ppl (undergrads) at McMillian Manor, I really like that it is furnished and has a parking garage.

So would you say I could walk to and from class safely? Do you know about at night? As long as a Kroger is relatively near my place, I'll be fine.

It [Fairview Apts] looks a bit further from campus than McMillian, but I'll search. Thanks.
    I can't really address the question of safety. I'm assuming you're a guy, so I think that's a bit different than it is for a women walking. Paintsmered might have a better sense of that area. I love the city, speak up for the city, but anything can happen. I've had a friend that got held up on Middletown right around the corner from the Ludlow business district. My oldest daughter lives near Ludlow and nothing has ever happened (thank goodness).

The Kroger's just east of campus would be something you'd pass all the time from McMillan Manor. There is also a nicer Kroger's down the hill at the end of Clifton Ave. down by my neighborhood that many UC students come to. And the IGA is on Ludlow.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Considering my backyard is the Gene Snyder Freeway in Louisville, and the backyard to the apt complex here in Lexington is a train track, I might be able to handle the noise.

There are so many different parts of the city right around campus, it's hard to keep track. :

I understand it's urban Cincinnati and a few feet away from X area won't make it much safer, but I'm just trying to gauge, on average, which is considered to be safe in relative terms. Supposedly some students walk to campus from there, so that would be nice. I figure later at night I might drive and park on a side street or something if need be. I know it won't be like the relative ease of walking home from the library at UK at 3:30am.

So relative to Clifton and that area, would you say Mt. Auburn/McMillian is less safe?

Thanks
    The difference between that place and somewhere over on the other side of campus (Clifton gas light) is that you won't walk out the door and take a stroll around the neighborhood. I lived on Maplewood, about a block from this new complex and it's not a place you want to be.

As long as you stick with going towards campus rather than back into the neighborhood, my guess is that you won't have any problems.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

*Update* (sorta)

-Been up to campus; checked around a bit before a Reds game...

-Been talking with someone regarding a house near Deaconness Hospital (off Straight St. on University IIRC)

-Still keeping my options open.

-My mom wanted me to find out about some new apt complex she heard from a grad student at a conference of hers, to which she said "med students live there, and across from a hospital." this girl, though, didn't say which one. Maybe Saint Josephs? This girl also said Clifton is dangerous, but jeez isn't UC basically in Clifton?

*Any opinions about the possible house near Deaconness? Safety? Area?

Thanks for all your help, RZ.

Some parts around Clifton are dangerous, but as long as you use common sense, the odds are that you'll never have an encounter. For you, I would recommend the Gaslight District.

I understand that. I guess what I am trying to figure out is what everyone considers which section...Mentioning Gaslight District to me, is fine. But, not being in the area, I don't know how to decipher which from which. Google Maps doesn't say "Gaslight District is here"

The place I'm looking at is off Straight St. behind Deaconess Hospital. So bordering UC's brown block on the map, it'd be at bottom left of Clifton Ave.

So which area is considered "Clifton"? Is UC's campus "Clifton"? Is the place I'm looking at?

Thanks.

I don't know if this will help you all that much, but if you're curious about what neighborhood that is (or anywhere else), you can find out here:

http://cagis.hamilton-co.org/map/cagis.htm

If you scroll down on the left, you can search by address.

It won't tell you if something is in the Gaslight District, but it will tell you Clifton, Corryville, etc.

I understand that. I guess what I am trying to figure out is what everyone considers which section...Mentioning Gaslight District to me, is fine. But, not being in the area, I don't know how to decipher which from which. Google Maps doesn't say "Gaslight District is here"

The place I'm looking at is off Straight St. behind Deaconess Hospital. So bordering UC's brown block on the map, it'd be at bottom left of Clifton Ave.

So which area is considered "Clifton"? Is UC's campus "Clifton"? Is the place I'm looking at?

Thanks.

Gaslight District would be Ludlow Ave and Clifton Ave north of Ludlow, it's about a 1/2 mile from the university's northern edge. My daughter lives in that area and walks to work at UC when the weather is good. Very nice area.

The area by Straight Street by Deaconess is technically Clifton Heights and it's right by the Catholic Newman Center (the parish my wife and I belong to).

The person who just carte blanche said "Clifton is dangerous" probably is from the suburbs where everybody things anything in the city is dangerous. As others have noted, if you pay attention, you'll generally be fine.

I'd recommend that you PM Paintsmered. He lived a various spots around the university and is familiar with many of them. I came to know him from the Newman Center.

I love Clifton and that area. There's lots to do and it's a great urban part of town. But, like anywhere these days, you have to know your surroundings and do the things you need to do to keep yourself safe. That's true in any city.

I live in what was called Winton Place, now known as Spring Grove Village. When my daughter went to UD, one of her suburban friends would always think she grew up "downtown." They didn't know the city at all.

[Just an aside, there are a lot of students who come to the Newman Center who live in these areas you're looking at throughout their years at UC. Again, Paints can fill you in more]
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Straight St. is in Clifton Heights. I, personally, would not live in Clifton Heights. That's just me, though.

RosieReds....thank you very much.

Redsmetz....thanks for the name of that area. Regarding that girl's comment, that's a very broad statement from her, as many have told me it depends on where exactly it is in the area. I might have to PM him and run that one by him. The Gaslight District seems suitable, but I haven't found anything online that's interested me and been what I desire. I'd definitely prefer something I can walk to that's not too bad in safety and distance.

Any stereotypes or reasons to avoid Clifton Heights? It'd be IIRC on University, so that doesn't seem to be too far from campus and Clifton Ave.

nineworldseries.....Can you give me a reason or antectdote?

Clifton Heights is great if you like keg stands. If you're going to live in Clifton Heights, though, I'd just recommend that you not live on a street that branches off McMillan.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm a Clifton native, and pops still lives there and teaches at UC. If you're a grad student, and choose to live in Clifton, I'd stay North of Ludlow (or very close to it), South of Lafayette (or very close to it), and west of Clifton Avenue. If the rentals in these areas of Clifton are out of your price range, then commute. Period. This comes from someone who loves Clifton and spent several years in its rougher areas. But there's no need for grown-ups like yourself to deal with the nonsense.

If the gaslight area described above is out of your price range, there are lovely areas of Cincinnati that are affordable within 10 minutes drive.

I disagree with whoever said to live near the hospitals "where the med students live." That place is the worst of all worlds. Just as much crime and blight as Corryville with none of the charm or stuff to do.

And as for the Straight street place, my gut tells me that it's not for you. Maybe undergrads would like it better. But I admit it's been a few years since i walked that specific block (Hughes high school was still hughes high school). Walk that block at night on a weekday when it's not so crowded and see if you feel comfortable walking back from campus at night when the block is desolate.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 06-21-2009 at 01:33 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

Listen to cincinnati chili. I'm not a Clifton native, but what he's saying is exactly how I feel. I think there are some parts of Straight Street that could work out for you, but I think 90+% of it isn't what you want. As a matter of fact, I think 90% of Straight Street woudl rather be somewhere else nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Clifton Heights is great if you like keg stands. If you're going to live in Clifton Heights, though, I'd just recommend that you not live on a street that branches off McMillan.
    Didn't do that stuff as an undergrad, so I won't be doing it as a postgrad.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'm a Clifton native, and pops still lives there and teaches at UC. If you're a grad student, and choose to live in Clifton, I'd stay North of Ludlow (or very close to it), South of Lafayette (or very close to it), and west of Clifton Avenue. If the rentals in these areas of Clifton are out of your price range, then commute. Period. This comes from someone who loves Clifton and spent several years in its rougher areas. But there's no need for grown-ups like yourself to deal with the nonsense.

If the gaslight area described above is out of your price range, there are lovely areas of Cincinnati that are affordable within 10 minutes drive.

I disagree with whoever said to live near the hospitals "where the med students live." That place is the worst of all worlds. Just as much crime and blight as Corryville with none of the charm or stuff to do.

And as for the Straight street place, my gut tells me that it's not for you. Maybe undergrads would like it better. But I admit it's been a few years since i walked that specific block (Hughes high school was still hughes high school). Walk that block at night on a weekday when it's not so crowded and see if you feel comfortable walking back from campus at night when the block is desolate.
    "North of Ludlow"....is that walkable?

Regarding commuting....many people, even in this thread have said driving on campus is a pain. There is a parking garage next to Crosley Tower, but I don't know if I could get one there, let alone them costing $250+ per quarter. What's your take?

The Gaslight area isn't "out of my range," but the appearance of the houses/ apts I've seen haven't seemed much nicer than other areas. What's so special about Gaslight area? Is that walkable to and from campus? [I'll be at Crosley Tower and probably a hall near it for classes]

The place near Straight St. is on University Avenue. That doesn't seem too far on Straight St, does it?

I seem to be getting a lot of advice on where NOT to go. lol Anyone know of specific apartment complexes that may not advertise online that I should check out that is within walking distance of North Campus (Luther King/Clifton Ave).

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Listen to cincinnati chili. I'm not a Clifton native, but what he's saying is exactly how I feel. I think there are some parts of Straight Street that could work out for you, but I think 90+% of it isn't what you want. As a matter of fact, I think 90% of Straight Street woudl rather be somewhere else nearby.
    The roommates of the place seem tame (my age, just on a 5 year program there, so will be seniors). I guess it just depends on the atmosphere of the street?

Turn Off Ads?